How do you pack???? dont wanna go over the weight limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you pack???? dont wanna go over the weight limit

According to the American Airlines website it says i gotta keep my luggage weight 50 pounds and under, i put a few clothes(not very many like 2-3 pairs) in it and i have a scale that i keep weighing my luggage which keeps telling me at a few pairs of shirts is 50 pounds, at this rate i'll be going to scotland naked someone help me out here cause i dont wanna pay an charge at the airport that i cant afford! HELP!!!!

You should have no problem if you just pack a few jeans, tops and maybe a book, iPod and so on. I packed quite a lot, including presents, and it came to 23 kg.

Comment

If you leave a little space in your hand luggage you can always repack when your baggage turns out to be too heavy at the airport. Check out the hand luggage regulations and take a bag/suitcase as big as possible.
      That said the last time I went to my SO's to spend a month there I had to pay like 30€ for excess baggage and when I go for a weekend only I tend to forget half of the things I meant to take. I'm not exactly good at packing....

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Look through everything your taking and decide on your favs. I'm assuming you can do laundry there? Also if you do run out - there are loads of cheap clothes shops in the UK.

Once you've got it all together, divide the heaviest things between your hand luggage and check in. In addition leave space in your hand luggage to have a quick rearrange at the airport.

Be aware of the heaviest things...books and shoes are the worst culprits.

50pounds is more than it seems. I can never lift my suitcase and worry its always gonna be too heavy and it turns out to be slightly under.

And finally, it really depends on the staff checking you in. I had one suitcase that was 10lbs over once and once I got it down to only 5lbs over (by handing all my books back to my SO) she let it go through. If its only a pound or two over sometimes they wont mind too much.
        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

A good tip for weighing luggage, is standing on the scale on your own and weigh yourself. Then step off the scale, then step on again and hold the luggage in one of your hands and weigh yourself again. Then take the first weighing away from your second weighing. I do this and it's a much accurate weighing I find.
          [CENTER]

Comment

2-3 pairs clothes should be ok... try to bring some clothes that you could mix&match. I use to bring clothes with basic colors so it would be easy to match. Put bulky things on the bottom and he lightest clothes on top. Well i use to use backpack. I roll my jeans and tshirt. I put electronic stuff inside the rolls (hair roller, chargers) to protect it. After roll it i also put it inside a sealed pack. It made more space on my backpack. I also use small containers for my make up. Just bring one fave lipstick, a mascara, eye liners, and loose powder and vit e lotion in small container.
            Also i found out... when scaling in airport, if we lay down the luggage the luggage would be heavier than if we put it stand tall.. uhhhh.. i dont now how this happens but it work several times with me!

Comment

The way I pack: Pack ONLY the things you think you will ABSOLUTELY need. Then take 1/2 out.

But 50lbs is a heck of a lot. If you can pick up your bag it's probably under 50 lbs. I'm not saying you're weak, I'm saying 50 lbs is heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowy.Winter View Post
                A good tip for weighing luggage, is standing on the scale on your own and weigh yourself. Then step off the scale, then step on again and hold the luggage in one of your hands and weigh yourself again. Then take the first weighing away from your second weighing. I do this and it's a much accurate weighing I find.
                That's what I do! But, it's tough to see the scale sometimes.... I usually have my daughter read the numbers. When I go to UK for 2 weeks I really only pack for 5 days because he's got a washer and dryer and I pick up shampoo/body wash there. I also have presents, but try to make sure i have room for presents and stuff when I return. I even have a light winter coat there so I don't have to lug mine around. Packing sucks, I hate it.
                Kimberly J
                https://kimberlyandvernon.blogspot.com/

Comment

50lbs is a lot of luggage. However from a seasoned traveler here are a few tips.

1. Pack only a few pairs of jeans, t-shirts etc and at no more than 2 very nice out fits (for dates)
                  2. Do not pack into your suitcase books, drinks, or liquids (it is a good idea to buy shampoo, shower gel etc at your destination).
                  3. Spread your gifts between suitcase and carry on luggage, and try to keeps gifts small (heavy ones send via the mail, may be more expensive but you are not penalized for going over weight).
                  4. ALWAYS carry at least one change of clothing in your carry on luggage (suitcases can get lost in airports, I know from hard experience)
                  5. If you are having to exchange currency's do so before hand and then split the cash between your luggage.
                  6. Cash is probably the single most important commodity you can carry with you (either on a card, travelers checks etc) as you can always buy new cloths etc at your destination and leave them with your SO (call it a promise to return )
                  Love is the only thing that can cross all boundaries and cannot be stopped. It crosses countries, continents, oceans and even the stars themselves. It makes peace in the middle of war, and stops hatred in it's tracks. -Anon

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. - Apostle Paul in his first letter to the Church at Corinth (1 Corinthians 13:3-5)

Comment

I packed two large suitcases full of gifts, clothes for three seasons(summer, fall, winter), toiletries and books, plus a smaller carry on suitcase to go study in Beijing for 3 months. Each suitcase was like 47lbs, and I still had a good deal of room. You should very easily come under 50 lbs for the suitcase for a short term trip.

Comment

Is your actual suitcase really heavy by any chance? Because I've packed a pair of shoes, 2 pairs of pants, 2-3 pairs of shorts, about 10 different shirts, a sweatshirt, my toiletries and a hair straightener into my suitcase before reaching the 50lb limit. Try emptying your suitcase and see how much it weighs with nothing in it. If your suitcase is really heavy empty, maybe you can find an inexpensive one that's not so heavy? Not sure that's any better than paying the excess luggage fee though.

Sneaky tip, they never weigh your carry-on luggage. So put all your heaviest stuff in your carry-on, and then your suitcase (which they do weigh) will be lighter. It sucks carrying it around the airport, but it's great as a last resort.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                      -- Anonymous

Comment

... I have no idea how I do it. I brought ALL my Christmas presents back in an extra-large suitcase stuffed full of clothes and stuff, and I couldn't even lift it, and it turned out to be only 38 pounds or something. I don't think you really have to worry, but if you're nervous I'd definitely do Snowy.Winter's idea.

Comment

turns out i didnt have to worry my bag was actually underweight when i checked in

Comment

Working...
                          X