Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Students - how to you finance your trips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Students - how to you finance your trips?

Just wondering

When I was a student, I used and bused my student discounts - there's SO MANY ways for students to get discounts - STA travel is just one. So that cuts my travel costs way-way down.

Then I make sure that I set aside a specific portion of my pay, and I also saved any holiday money I had strictly towards travel since I enjoyed it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

When I was a student, I used and bused my student discounts - there's SO MANY ways for students to get discounts - STA travel is just one. So that cuts my travel costs way-way down.

Then I make sure that I set aside a specific portion of my pay, and I also saved any holiday money I had strictly towards travel since I enjoyed it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

I work part time so most of the money I save goes to my trips. I take the train instead of a plane because it's way cheaper. I might have to be on a train for 10 hours (technically it's two trains since I make a connection in Toronto) but I save about $300! Also, once I get there Kyle and his parents don't let me pay for anything. It honestly makes me feel bad since they are giving me a place to stay, food, etc. but every time I try to help to pay or something they won't let me!

I'm not telling you it's going to be easy.
        I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.

Comment

Part-time job helped me save the $3000NZD I needed for my first trip. I am pretty broke now and looking for another part-time job.

Comment

I get Student Financial Assistance for living in the NWT for my whole life and also being an aboriginal student, so I get 700$ every month to live off of. Round trip bus tickets to Edmonton were only 160$ so I just ate Kraft Dinner for like a week and I could afford it Unfortunately bus tickets to Yellowknife cost alot more and I refuse to get a job while in school because I can barely concentrate enough as it is... Sooo until he moves down here I can't make any trips up, so he'll be the one making all the trips to see me.

Comment

Tutoring/babysitting the neighbor's kids at 15 hours a week for the entire month of January has laid a giant chunk of money down. Thank goodness for the USD to RMB exchange rate, or I would still be pretty far off the mark! For the rest, I'm going to try to find another part time job, or perhaps just keep tutoring the kids.

Comment

I'm working part time while I'm at school, and I try and plan trips into my budget. My SO's working full-time though and gets free trips back to where I live for business, so we split the plane tickets. But yes, working is (unfortunately) essential.

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                -- Anonymous

Comment

I am tutoring and currently I'm also looking for a part time job, or maybe too. But usually my parents pay the ticktes for me, since I'm usually too busy with school to work. But now I'm looking for a job because I don't want my parents to always pay everything...

Comment

Well, I've yet to travel to see my SO, since it just hasn't worked out yet, but I'm going up to visit him at school in March during my spring break. But, I've worked a full time job, 40 hours a week the past two summers and have saved up from that. I'm not going to have a lot of travel expenses for this trip, though. I don't need a hotel because I'm staying with my SO in his dorm room. It's a road trip, so I'll probably stop for gas along the way, but there's no plane tickets to buy or anything. When I'm up there, foodwise, I think he'll probably use some of his debit in his meal plan for me, but we'll work out the details when we get closer to the trip. If their school's hockey team makes the playoffs, we're going to go to the game while I'm there, so he'll probably get the tickets (which should be relatively cheap).

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sabby64 View Post
                      I get Student Financial Assistance for living in the NWT for my whole life and also being an aboriginal student, so I get 700$ every month to live off of. Round trip bus tickets to Edmonton were only 160$ so I just ate Kraft Dinner for like a week and I could afford it Unfortunately bus tickets to Yellowknife cost alot more and I refuse to get a job while in school because I can barely concentrate enough as it is... Sooo until he moves down here I can't make any trips up, so he'll be the one making all the trips to see me.
                      What financial aid are you on?! That's super nice heheh Yeah I'm on financial aid and I was able to splurge a little bit on 2 big gifts for my bf but other than that from paychecks from working at conventions and stuff I've just been saving because I have to commute and gas can be expensive . But I feel you on that being a broke college student lol!

Comment

Excess student loan money?

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by xopookie View Post
                          What financial aid are you on?! That's super nice heheh Yeah I'm on financial aid and I was able to splurge a little bit on 2 big gifts for my bf but other than that from paychecks from working at conventions and stuff I've just been saving because I have to commute and gas can be expensive . But I feel you on that being a broke college student lol!
                          The NWT has SFA for anyone who has gone to school in the Northwest Territories, I think it's they will pay a year of school for every 4 years of school you spend in the NWT, plus money for living and rent and two trips back home. Granted, you have to pay it all back, or you can just for in the NWT for two years after you graduate which pays it all back... And if you have a Status card you don't have to pay it back at all cause they're just so surprised you're actually going to school That's what I have. It's pretty awesome

Comment

part time job and saving saving saving.

every penny counts!
                            I believe that two people are connected at the heart and it doesn't matter what you do or who you are or where you live. There are no boundaries or barriers if two people are destined to be together - Julia Roberts

Comment

What everyone else said: working and saving, saving saving. I've recently quit my old job, cause I'm getting a new, better paid one and I can't make more than an average 400€/month in a year because my scholarship would get cut down.
                              What really helped me save was: paying everything cash. I take out a certain amount of money (usually for about two weeks), keep it home and only take a little cash with me. I leave me credit and debit cards at home, too.

I really don't want to think about how much I've spent on airfare so far

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Working...
                              X