New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Orleans

I'm going down to NO in May with my SO for a wedding and am looking for a hostel. The problem is all the reviews I've read on the hostels have been terrible! People say it's dirty, has bed bugs, lost reservations. Now I'm in no way expecting the Marriott, but I expect clean sheets and beds!

I'm looking for price range under 25$ per person, for a private double room. Any suggestions? I've already looked at Marquette House, India House Backpackers, and Sun Suites of NO. Though my friend has offered to let us camp in the backyard. I'd be cool with that, expect I have a feeling it won't be cool at all. It'll be freaking blazing!

Try https://www.hostelworld.com/ , sometimes they have places nobody's heard of.
    When I stay in hostels/budget hotels where I'm certain the sheets aren't clean I sleep in my sleeping bag ON the bed, it makes me feel safer that way.
    A camping option would be hammock camping. No need for stuffy sleeping bags, just poles/trees and a piece of tarp tied like a roof over you.
    (:

Comment

Yeah I've looked at both hostelworld.com and hostelbookers.com both came up with similar results and none of them were rated very highly... But I guess there's not a lot of hostel options in the USA.

Comment

NO IS a really old town! It was really dirty too. But, considering what goes on around there, its expected. lol. If you want a cheap place, look outside the french quarter, or look on Craigslist for a good deal. My friend found a place on craigslist, which rented out appartments for weekends and such.

Comment

You might want to try looking for a place in the outter suburbs such as Metairie or Kenner. It's a bit of a drive depending on the road you take to go into New Orleans (right now there's a lot of construction on the roads in Metairie) but I imagine you'll find something cheap and with better reviews. Though sometimes the reviews can't really be trusted, I know the hotel I stayed in while in Orlando was rated 2 stars and people complained of sheets being dirty, but my sheets were clean and I made sure everything worked and was thoroughly scrubbed. If you have a problem with the room you can always try requesting another one.

OliveOyl: I know you meant it as a joke but I sort of take offense to you calling NO dirty. Yeah Bourbon Street and parts of the French Quarter don't exactly harbor the cleanest reputations, but the city's not filthy nor is it full of filthy people. You also have to realize half the city's still rebuilding after Katrina, I mean they only just completed the Superdome's renovations a year or so ago and that hurricane happened in 05.

Comment

it wasnt a joke... It was dirty, lots of cities are dirty, LA (as in the city) is dirty, NY is dirty, Los Vegas also dirty. Sacramento dirty... basically any metropolitan hurricane or no hurricane is dirty. And I never called anyone filthy, so not sure where you thought I implied that.

Comment

The "considering what goes on around there" addition to your initial comment implied that to me, but I may have misread what you meant by that. I'm just very used to people thinking NO's the southern Las Vegas in terms of being a 'sin city', so sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

Comment

New Orleans is a great city; I've been there three times, including a five-week stay this summer. I was going to move there for a job, but the job fell through. It really depends on where you go in the city; the most touristy areas are very nice such as the French Quarter and Garden District. I stayed at a place in Bywater and on one street you would see nice homes that have been restored since the hurricane next to abandoned and destroyed homes and empty lots, all mixed together. I thought it was interesting. I did busking (street musician) while I was there. I wouldn't call it dirty, but there is the debauchery of Bourbon street, which isn't everyone's cup of tea. And the noise; it seemed like it was always noisy, even at night, but maybe it was just where I was staying.

I WILL tell you I will not go back by myself again; it is not a nice place to be alone and female.

Comment

Working...
                X