Passport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport?

Okay so as some of you know Ive been himming and hawing over whether a trip to Wales this summer would be plausible etc etc. My boyfriend has pretty much said "shut up, youre comming even if I have to lend you the money". So other than convincing my family to bring me to boston in May, Im getting ready to go. As of right now I have 7 weeks and 3 days until my trip (and NOTHING booked, talk about stressful!) My biggest concern, is my passport. I can go down to my local post office possibly one day this week (see Im in class 8-6 most days, when the post office is open 8-5, thus my problem #1). i know I have a few options. I can either go like tomorrow morning (screw class right?! Haha) and get the paperwork in, and get it standard (4-6) weeks, or expidited (2-4 weeks). My third option is to go to the passport agency office in NYC. Ill be in NYC on April 7-9...so I could possibly try to ge an appointment, but they said they only want you if youre traveling in 14 days? April 7 will be like 3 weeks.

I guess my question is...with it being nearly 7 weeks exact by the time i get the paperwok in, should I be expdiding, or should I be having faith in the system which is adverizing an "on schedule" status of 4-6 weeks? Should I try to get an appointment with the agency or will they be cranky with me since ive got 3 weeks not 2? (from that date in april)

Also, this birth certificate shenannigans. It just seems shady to me, that "we'll mail it back" haha. What needs to be done, though I suppose...

Would someone tell the crazy paranoid girl that this process isnt as horrible as it sounds?

Lastly, I read through the other forums in here and noted things about customs and travel insurance, and I will be ok with both, but is there anything Im forgetting for travelig abroad? Im only going to be 10 days in the UK.

The process isn't horrible, but that timeline they give you will be pretty darn firm, as are the rest of their rules, so I'd honestly get your passport the regular way, because it's already expensive, but the rush option just adds MORE on top of it. If you book for 3 weeks ahead rather than 2, yes, they will turn you away - the rules state 14 days, not 21. You're cutting it quite late/close, and with passports/international travel, it does make a huge difference in terms of price (which is something that sounds like it's important here).

I would get it taken care of/in the mail, then book flights and such, but that's me. *shrug*

I can't think of anything else for travel other than make sure you take any medications you need, but I'll come back if I think of something.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Working...
    X