Long layover vs more flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long layover vs more flights

So I have a dilemma. Apart from a few days difference in date and 10-$50 in price, I currently have a few different options for my flights, and I'm honestly not sure which I prefer.

The miminum amount of flights I can have with my return itinerary is 8. For those of you confused by that, it's normally 6, but I'm stopping over in another city on the way there so it adds a couple.

Here's my issue. I can either get to the U.S spend 10+hours in L.A airport before going to my stopover city, then a couple days later, return to LA, spend another 10+ hours in LA before my last flight to my SO. And then on my return 6 months later (so long that it doesn't really matter) have another 10 or so hours in LA. Let's not forget the fact that I'm too familiar with that airport already, lol.

My other option is a 9 or 10 flight intinerary. The benefit of this is that I never really have to stop and wait, I'll be always on the go, however I hate the idea of extra flights, having to go through more security check points etc and in some cases have very short connection times, in some cases only and hour and 15 before an international flight (too short in my opinion).

My concern with the first is that I'll simply go crazy and get sore and tired. It happens but is acceptable. The second alternative means I have to get on and off more flights (often frustrating at the best of times) and I chance that some connections may not quite be long enough.

Which would you go for? I know that some people would much prefer to be on the go so that they would feel like they were actually getting somewhere. Which I perfectly understand, it's going to be a pain just sitting there, wasting so much time in the airports, but I'm wondering which you think is better, because I'm pretty much chasing my tail on this one.
    Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
    First met: June 13th 2006

I know for me personally, I would prefer the longer layover. Yes it's 10+ hours, but you won't have to worry about the connecting flights. If you miss a connection, you could end up spending more than the 10 hours you would on the first option. I agree with you that an hour is just not long enough for an international flight.
    "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
    Made it official: September 17, 2010
    Got engaged: January 15, 2012
    Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
    Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
    Got married: November 21, 2012
    Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
    Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I think I agree with you there, missing flights would certainly add to travel time, I've just been so unsure on the issue, been looking at flights for so long that I'm just turning myself in circles and so unsure. Just need to knuckle down and make a decision on it though.

Comment

I wouldn't really care. I'm all too familiar with long layovers though and I hate them. I never know what to do. So I'd go for the more flights then. I always fly overseas and I sometimes only have a very short time to get to the other plane (just over one hour), but I never had any problems with that.

Comment

For me it's hard sometimes i don't mind the connections as long as i have time to get from one place to another and then walk around and get something to eat, but i also don't mind the layovers if they are long as long as the airport has something to do otherwise i get bored. With the long layover you could get adjusted to being in LA, walk around the airport or even go outside and explore LA for a bit especially if the layover is anywhere from 10+ hours it's a good idea that way you won't be bored in the airport but if you do that just remember to get back to the airport 3 hours before your flight because LAX has one of the busiest international customs that the earlier you are there the better .

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I'd take the layover, less flights means less chance of flight delays, connection misses and hassle. There are many hotels near the airport, you could make a reservation to one which would shuttle bus you over and back for free, take a good nap, get a shower, and even watch some bad American TV
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I would also opt for the longer layover... I fly into LAX all the time... (where my BF) lives... 10 hours is a lot but with flights being late constantly, I would be afraid of missing a connecting flight and making my trip longer and even more stressful.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I'm pretty much convinced now that the longer layovers are the way to go. They will be a real pain, but it's better than missing a flight!

Thank you!

Comment

Is the long layover when you get into the country? If so then that'll help a lot with getting through customs, as those lines can get humongous!
                  I'd go for the layover, I think you'd be less stressed. You could find a corner, hold your luggage tight and take a nap, explore the airport, shop, eat, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X