Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two unrelated questons: tall flyers, and UK border agency

Hello!

My lovely SO is 6'6": tall with a large build to match. Does anyone have any good tips on getting exit row or bulkhead seats? I just flew Virgin, and they charge extra for those seats, and at least on the flights I took, you couldn't book them ahead of time, but could only upgrade if the flight wasn't sold out. Obviously being such a large man, my SO has to have more room, an 8+ hour flight in a typical cheap seat would be unbearable for him. Any tips would be appreciated!

As for myself, I've heard that the UK border agency is cracking down on international internet romances, in some cases even denying entry to some people if they claim they're visiting an SO. My last trip was only 3 days, and the border agent quizzed me pretty hard before she finally let me through. I'm really afraid as I rack up visits, they'll start to look at me harder and harder and eventually will deny me entry. Anyone with a UK SO heard about this or had any problems, and if so, any advice on how to deal with the border agents?

Thanks!

When they ask what you are in the UK for you could just tell them you are visiting friends. I was afraid that when I went though with my visa they would ask who I was living with but they didn't and so I didn't have to tell them anything. I've heard it helps to have a letter from an employer saying you intend to return to your job on such and such date so that it doesn't look like you are going to try to stay in the country.

Comment

Ah, a letter from where I work, that's a good idea. The agent did ask a lot of questions about my job this last trip; now I know why. I guess they're just trying to weed out anyone who will stay in the country illegally, and if I move there, I plan to do it by the book. It’s just so nerve-wracking to be questioned at the border, I feel like I’m doing something wrong when I’m not, heh.

Thanks.

Comment

As long as you have proof of return I doubt they will deny you entry. They ask the questions just to make sure you know the answers to all of them and aren't trying to pull anything funny. When I came into the US they asked all sorts of things: who are you living with, which town, how do you know this person, have you met their family, has your family met him (my dad and brother were with me), when is your return flight, asked to see my travel itinerary, what is your occupation, etc. If you have no intention of cheating the system, just answer their questions as honestly as possible. (:

Comment

When my SO came to visit last time, they called me to information in the arrivals area and i was so scared that my SO wouldn't get through the border. They asked me loads of questions about our relationship, what we both did, and how we could afford to visit each other. I was so pissed off as well because she was really rude and accusing. She also said he had been in England loads recently (three times in a year, loads? Really?!) But he got through. She said 'just be prepared that this is what you might have to deal with if you visit a country really often' :/ So this is one of the reasons my SO isn't visiting me this summer, in case it causes a problem. So I guess my advice would be to make sure someone is waiting in arrivals.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Oh yeah and I forgot to add- my SO was asked the same questions as me so they wanted to see if our answers matched up I think

Comment

What the hell, seriously? Neither myself nor my SO have had any problem with the border agency so far, but I have a trip planned towards the end of this year and this highly concerns me. How bad is the grilling/risk that you won't be able to enter the country?

This makes no sense to me, as what about people who travel transatlantically (I think I just invented a new word!) several times a year for business? Or just to visit family? Plus, I hate when people get all rude and snooty with me and find it hard to remain polite in return. Goddamn love Nazis doing their job proficiently.

Comment

I travel to the UK a few times a year as well. The first few times I went, I was grilled pretty bad. Mind you I am very well at keeping my composure, and I always am honest, and I always leave the UK when I say I am leaving. During my second trip to the UK, the officer wrote down my story on my landing card and gave me a passport stamp that had a number on it and he told me he "didn't have enough evidence to stop my journey" but basically that my situation was suspicious and he told me I'd better leave the country at the end of my trip or else. Of course I always adhere to the rules. On that same trip, my SO and I left England to go to Amsterdam, the officers in Amsterdam don't even ask you a single question, they greet you, give you a stamp and you're in. When we came back into the UK, I was grilled once again and told I must adhere to the rules or I'd be in big trouble.

This June, I went to England for the third time in a year... the officer asked me a few simple questions, nicest officer I've had, only took a few minutes and it was a smooth entry, even coming back to the states during that trip, was the smoothest entry back home too.

So it's always going to be pretty random. I wouldn't doubt that they were cracking down on internet romances, I'm sure they see a lot, and I'm sure there's a lot of LDR couples who don't exactly know the rules and regulations and how serious countries borders are(especially the UK!)

I have about the same advice as everyone else....make sure to have a print out of the flight itinerary, if you have preexisting plans to travel elsewhere in Europe during your stay, tell the officer (if they ask), don't lie....... honestly, you shouldn't say you are "visiting a friend" when it's really a boyfriend. I'm pretty sure the border agency keeps records and it's going to be suspicious, especially if someone is planning to move from the US to the UK sometime in the future, you will need evidence and information of your relationship for the visa.

You shouldn't have a problem about "racking up visits" as long as the visits are a good amount between(i'd say 2-3 months is ok) and you have a legit reason why you can afford the visits (job, family paying for it, ect). Like I said, I've already been 3 times in the past year and haven't had any issues pertaining to "too many visits", my only issues were that they were afraid I would overstay my welcome.

Good luck!

Comment

When asked who I was visiting and when I would return to the US. I told them that I was visiting friends as I heard that they are refusing entry to a lot of Americans. I also studied in the UK and my old expired student visa in my passport. I always say friends or family when asked as my mom lives there and I have a lot of friends there as I lived there for 2 years.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X