Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Travelling to Australia - what can I take??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling to Australia - what can I take??

Ok so the last time I travelled to Perth was six years ago with my Dad, and I don't remember what I'm allowed to take in to the country.

For medications I'm on:
    - Herbal supplements
    - Citalopram
    - the pill (can't recall the name of the one I'm on and am too lazy to get up and check it haha )

Things I think I will need - paperwork essentials:
    - Passport
    - Flight info
    It's a no-ticket airline and they said all I need is my passport and the booking number, so I'll print out that info and take it with me.

Things I think I need to take with me:
    - my favourite shirts
    - my jumper
    - my bomber jacket
    - my jeans
    - my skirt
    - my cherry docs, my rangers (I'll wear those) and my doc marten shoes
    - toothbrush
    - facial cleanser and moisturiser
    - shaving razor

My SO said to leave a lot of room in my suitcase because he has a heap of presents for me - we're doing birthday and xmas presents while we're there. He said a lot of the presents are clothing because he knows I'm very low income and never buy clothes for myself, only for my daughter. So he said only bring a couple of things to wear because he's got heaps for me there.

He also said he's stocked up on heaps of vegan friendly food for me, and has bought body wash, shampoo and conditioner (not that I really need much of those because I've hardly got any hair haha - it's mostly shaved).

Is there anything on that list I wouldn't be allowed to take in, and can more experienced travellers give me any hints on other stuff I need to think about? I've only been overseas once.

Australia is picky with what you take in. It's annoying.

Make sure your shoes are very clean especially if you go hiking or live on a farm. Yes, sometimes they will check your shoes.

Some animal products, some wood products, seeds or food that isn't packaged can cause trouble. Don't cook for yourself and try to bring it in. Don't try to bring in raw/untreated cotton for religious reasons either (can't remember what religion it is that needs this). No liquids over 100ml in your hand luggage. Your medication will be fine, but better to leave it in the packaging than using a pill box, and even better if it's unopened or in a blister pack.

You'll also need a visa unless you're from NZ... which I think you are, but I've remembered wrong before!
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Ok, what about things like packaged muesli bars, potato chips etc? I don't want to have to get food on the flight - I remember the airline food being really awful, and most places are terrible with the whole vegan thing as well... I was at a cafe last year and asked for the potato hash with no hollandaise sauce, said it was because I was vegan and they brought it out with a big slice of bacon on top. GROSS. :/ Anyway got side tracked.... Yeah, if I buy my own packaged snacks will it be ok to take them in? And yeah I'm from New Zealand So won't need to worry about a visa.

Comment

Packaged stuff should be fine if it's in the original sealed package, but be sure you declare it at customs!

Comment

thanks ladies Only two more sleeps to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yay!! Much excite!

(ps I wish I had some docs. jealoussss)

Comment

You'll be fine with packaged foods, especially if they're consumed inflight. They just don't want you bringing in organic food, for lack of a better word, through customs. TSA has a great guideline about liquids, I highly suggest reading it.

Personal medicine is fine, MAKE SURE it is in its original container from the pharmacy, however, with your name on the label, or else they may confiscate it. When I went through, they never checked my personal meds, just asked what I had and I told them.

If I might suggest - if you get dry at all and it's a long flight, I recommend taking a travel lotion. Just to keep your skin happy, those planes get really dry.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

My trip was amazing, I didn't want to come home. I got home on Thursday afternoon. He's given me a promise ring and is saving up to move over to NZ.

Molly, try trademe for docs.

Comment

Working...
                X