Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know anything about Ljubljana or Tallinn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know anything about Ljubljana or Tallinn?

Just found out that the week I get back to my SO he has to leave for a week for work. I figured I'd make the most of it and do some traveling. I think I would either like to go to Ljubljana, Slovenia or Tallinn, Estonia. Has anyone been to either? Did you like it? If any of you actually have, (I don't imagine this will get many replies as they aren't high on the places to travel list) What was it like? I know the further east you go the less english is spoken, I'll learn what I can but will it be a problem if I only know english?

I know Ljubljana but it's nothing special... and well people speak not that much English (or I mean not that good english) everywhere (except of england..lol)

Comment

I've only been to Tallinn of those two places, and don't remember much of it really. But I do remember it wasn't that interesting There's places to shop.. and I guess there's stuff to see as well but I've always thought of it as a bit.. dodgy? :s But that's just my view and it's probably completely wrong, seeing as I haven't been there for so long. Lots of Finns go there, though mainly because of the cheap(er) booze >_> haha.
      I think you should be alright with English..

I actually wouldn't mind going to Ljubljana, though I don't know that much of it. It just looks/sounds interesting

Comment

Actually i live on the border with slovenia, so i've been to ljubljana quite a few times. it's a pretty city, and despite it being the capital, it's not at all big. The architecture is really pretty, they have cute shops and they do know how to speak english. it's actually sad how, in italy, even on the border with slovenia, none of us know any slovenian, while in slovenia they know english, italian and often german too.
        slovenia has invested a lot in tourism, especially since it gained independence only 20 years ago and it's trying to gain back a place in the tourist agency.
        I'd really reccomend you went there, also because you can also visit other cities nearby (the trains are usually really good) and Tallin, although beautiful, would be really cold in these months. From Ljubljana you can get to Italy in less than two hours, you're also close to Croatia.
        In my opinion it's a beautiful city, it has beautiful Austrian architecture and they often have vintage markets going on at least once a month, so you may be lucky and get to see that too.

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Originally posted by joyce92ts View Post
          Tallin, although beautiful, would be really cold in these months.
          Didn't even think about that. If it's anything like the -25 degrees that we have here in Finland right now (we are next to Estonia, after all), you probably won't want to go there

Comment

I was in Tallinn over the summer and absolutely loved it. I love medieval history though, so going to Old Town for me was a blast. It's strange looking at a 700 year old gate next to a McDonalds! The nightlife was good, the people were friendly and the prices were fantastic compared to other European cities. I'm not sure about winter time, but sitting in the city square at the terraces of the many restaurants and doing some people watching was a nice hangover cure Food was great, too. I have to say that little city became one of my favorites, and I'm looking forward to going back there. It's very touristy though, it's a big cruise ship stop and only a short ferry ride from Helsinki, so expect to hear lots of different languages spoken, although mostly everything is translated into English, so it's easy to get around. If you're interested, I know of a very nice hotel that's quite reasonable and pretty much across the street from Old Town, PM me if you'd like the info.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks everyone. I didn't think about the weather either this time of year.

Comment

I'm in Tallinn at the moment!

It is a place worth visiting. I fell in love with the medieval old town sitting in the middle of a city that is part soviet and part modern. The prices are cheaper than Western Europe and YOUNG people speak good English in general (especially in the Old Town, where they typically approach you in English).

I've been here for 2 months now and I'm coloured and I've had no problems. Although it is an Estonian/Russian society, they are used to foreigners (especially the Finns who are drunk on the ground at 10AM ).

The weather should be ok. Luckily Estonia missed out on that storm that hit Europe. But don't be surprised if it reaches -30C.

I can recommend 2 places to eat at. OldeHansa is the marquee traditional Estonian restaurant. It is in the middle of the old town right near the Town Hall. It is quite pricey compared to other places (15-20 euros per meal) but the serving size is ridiculous. I can eat a lot and I was full half way into my dish. It is REALLY medieval (no lights, only candals). Vapiano is a very good, but cheap option. They have 2 restaurants in Tallinn, which are both a short walk from the Old Town.

And the girls are absolute hotties

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                  Although it is an Estonian/Russian society, they are used to foreigners (especially the Finns who are drunk on the ground at 10AM ).
                  OI! xD Don't speak ill of the Finns :< Though what you said is probably true in Estonia.. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
                    OI! xD Don't speak ill of the Finns :< Though what you said is probably true in Estonia.. haha.
                    Hey now, I LIKE Finns. Their endeavours remind me of the benders that Australians go on.

But Tallinn is a good place.

Comment

I have heard only good things about Tallinn!
                      I was there few days ago but all i see was a port and a little bit of city!

Comment

Working...
                      X