Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Germans!

Hallo!

Well this post is for my sister. She's flying into the US Air Force base in Ramstein, and then plans to take a flight from Frankfurt to Edinburgh where she's going to meet a friend. The thing is, since she's flying in with the air force (she's in the navy so can get on a cheap air force flight-- like $3) she doesn't know a) what day she's getting in or b) what time. They basically put her on a flight whenever they can. So she has a week to get to Germany, but isn't sure of the day. She is also awful at planning trips and doesn't speak any German.

So... any advice? Should she go straight to Frankfurt? Spend time in Ramstein? Have any good suggestions on where she should stay or what she should do? She'll be abroad for 2 weeks, give or take, but wants to spend about a week in the UK with her friend (she'll actually be in Glasgow). So that means she could potentially have a full week in Germany (depending on what flight she can get on).

Thanks!

More information!!

What does she like to do? What is she interested in? Does she like cities? Nature? History?

I don't think there's much to do in Ramstein or Kaiserslautern (which afaik is the nearest city-like place). I about an hour from there, though and there's some things to see here.
    Along the Rhine there's a bunch of castles. Some of them (Fortress Rheinfels!) are very impressive
    -> https://www.loreley-info.com/eng/rhe...ne/castles.php

I'm not a huge fan of Frankfurt, but objectively it's probably an interesting city and there's enough to do to spend two or three days.
    Like this: https://www.maintower.de/hlb/generat...ntower.en.html

There's Rüdesheim: https://www.ruedesheim.de/cms/index.php?lang=english
    It's very touristy, but it's also very cute and the view from the cable cars is beautiful.

My boyfriend's into Roman-anything and we have some remains of Roman civilisation around here, too. I don't know too much about it, because I usually just tag along with him, but in the unlikely case that she's interested, I could look it up.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Thanks!! I'll shoot that info over to her.

She's usually open to anything. This is the first time traveling by herself, so I'm guessing she'd feel more comfortable staying to the more touristy things.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Oooh and if she's coming anytime after the middle of April and needs a place to stay or whatever about half an hour from the airport in Frankfurt, we're going to have a spare room and bed
        The castles are really, really cool, though and they're pretty easy to reach by train.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Oh that's so nice of you to offer! But she's going in the next two-ish weeks. She starts work again in April, so she won't still be around then.

I sent her what you wrote but she of course hasn't written me back yet. What a slacker

Comment

Working...
          X