Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Border Control

Hello everyone.

This is aimed to people who have traveled to Germany from outside of the Schengen area (hopefully there are some in here). I have been to Germany twice already but on both times flown in from Helsinki, and border control withing Schengen is pretty much inexistant, so it's always been a breeze.

I am traveling to Frankfurt end of January for five days (my SO and I will meet there, for a change) and I'm not quite sure what to expect. So far, each time I've been to Europe, France has always been my gateway to the Schengen area, and each experience has been slightly different. You have the border police agent who will just silently stamp your passport, and then the one who will ask you where you're going and why (when I say it's just a stop-over they just nod and let me through), and I heard of people who had to show printed proof of where they were going, who they were staying with and did they have the financial means for it, etc. I guess it depends on the day and on whom you are talking to.

Is it more or less the same in Germany? I asked my SO to put the hotel reservation to my name, so I'll have that. I'm going to bring a paper from my employer that shows I'm on paid leave (though those papers are always in French, so I don't know if they count), but we're not staying in Frankfurt, and the train tickets to the other city will be with my SO. Do you think they might ask me about that?

Just wanted to point out, for what it's worth, that I come from a country that is considered to be a "risky" one (as far as immigration goes, anyway) and that I'm traveling on a Schengen visa that was delivered by the French authorities (but I have French stamps on it for two previous visits, so at least they can't accuse me of having fraudulently applied for a French visa with the intent of going solely to Germany)

Any other thing you can share will be helpful to me. Hopefully I'm just overthinking the whole thing!

Thanks.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

If you've been though border control once, or twice or a few times its pretty much the exact same every where. Just be able to answer honestly and there is nothing to worry about.

Comment

I'm from the USA, but when I entered Germany there were a ton of Korean tourists in front of me. And they were treated the exact same as I was. The border guys didn't ask ANY questions at all. They just took my passport, stamped it, and I went on. Same for the Korean people in front of me. In fact, it was at the Frankfurt airport!

Comment

That's good to know! Thanks both of you
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

The UK is outside the Schengen area so whenever I used return from seeing my ex I would have to pass border control even though I am German and like lucybelle said, I never saw anyone in the line before me getting treated any different to me, same with when I flew in from San Francisco, so I wouldn't worry just don't get lost at Frankfurt airport, I have done so a bunch of times and it's very annoying to get back to where you originally intended to go oh and don't get snacks there as even the expensive Sushi place is terrible!

Comment

Thanks for answering! I didn't have any problem at border control, after all Well, the lady asked me why I was traveling to Germany and also asked to see my return ticket, but it was all cool!

You're right, the Frankfurt airport isn't the easiest one to navigate, I think.

Also, I love Würzburg! Going back there in November <3

Comment

Working...
            X