Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traveling to london from the U.S.

hey there!
    my name is tiffany i am a native born U.S. citizen and i really need some advice and help on traveling to london. i have never traveled outside of the U.S. before and could really use some help on what the first steps i need to do in getting the process started. i am trying to see my long distance girlfriend for the first time. it is a little hard because she does not have funds to come see me just yet so i am trying ti learn everything on what it takes to make the first move but i have no idea where to start. i even tried seeing about studying abroad to see if its easier in helping me on traveling there and visiting for pleasure. if you have any advice or experience from this i would greatly appreciate it thank you

tiffany

As a US citizen, there really isn't anything you need, other than getting a passport, to "get the process started". The US and the UK are two countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), meaning the countries involved can travel pretty freely between each other for up to 90 days, without obtaining a visa first. Travel over 90 days will requite a visa, and don't overstay or you won't be allowed to travel on the VWP anymore. Tourism between he two countries is ridiculously common, though you may want to ell UK customs you're visiting your friend, rather than girlfriend, but as a US citizen, it shouldn't matter much. Be able to provide an address where you're staying, and the most important thing, have a return ticket booked. Do that, and you'll be fine, travel between the US and EU countries is actually a pretty easy thing, other than customs, it's like going anywhere else in the US, in my experience.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi i live in London. Here's some info on WHEN you get here!

To travel around cheaper you will need to buy an Oyster card (you pay £5 deposit) then you top it up with money, when leaving take your oyster card to any underground station (subway station) and they will give your £5 back. If you know you will travel a lot in London on one day buy a One Day Travel card and that gives you 24 hour travel on all buses, all subway trains and all local London trains, its pretty good!
      Also (and now I am having some fun Remember this, there is no such thing as British! We are either, English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish...and then we also like to regionalise a step lower so I don't call myself English, I'm a Londoner!
      p.s you will love London, its a great city!

Comment

Working...
      X