Traveling to Belgium! Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling to Belgium! Tips?

In June I'm traveling from Canada to go stay in Belgium for three months. It's my first time out of my country and I'm excited and nervous! I'm trying to do some planning so that I can have some idea of what I'd like to see while I'm there. My SO lives near Ghent and I'm sure he has his own ideas of what I should see, but I'd love to get some tips from people here as well. Has anyone ever been to Belgium? What are the things I absolutely must not miss?

My SO and I are into geeky stuff so those kinds of activities are always a plus, but I'm very open to any ideas you might have. Everything helps!

The only time I went to Belgium was when I went for a weekend a couple years ago. We stayed in Brussels for two nights and visited Brugge on our third day. Both cities are fantastic and definitely worth visiting. Unfortunately, since we didn't stay long, we didn't get to see that much, but I can definitely say that the architecture is amazing. Brugge is really beautiful and I would really encourage you to stay and walk around longer than the few hours we did.

If you are into going to bars now and then, you have to go to Delirium in Brussels. We had the most amazing nights there, and they have so much variety, both in terms of beers and people. People from all over the world go there, and we made so many friends. I would also recommend trying to find both the pissing boy AND the pissing girl-- but the girl is so hard to find when you don't speak French. xD Have a belgian waffle from one of the many vendors (and do not accidentally throw yours at your friend). Take pictures with the statues (maybe inappropriate ones if it's late enough).
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I loved Belgium- especially Bruges and Ghent. Like kitty said, the architecture is beautiful. I really liked the Folklore Museum in Bruges, De Halve Maan (brewery tour) in Bruges, and we rented bikes either in Bruges or Ghent which was really fun.

Comment

Like the person above here:
        Brughes (romantic!)- Brussel - Leuven - Flander Fields - The beach are awesome destinations in Belgium. Make sure to go beer tasting somewhere.
        Also, it's not far from Ghent to go to the Netherlands or France. So if you have the chance go there as well. Make a visit to Amsterdam(NL) or Lille (FR). Personally I love the French coast lines.
        Also, with a train from Brussel you can go to Luxembourgh (City). It's about 2 hours. And an amazing romantic nice clean city. Be sure to stay there for at least a night. I will guarantee wow-effects from an evening walk!

What do you mean with geeky? Like gamescon or Castlefest? (last one is in august in the Netherlands - Keukenhof Lisse)

Comment

Working...
        X