Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.5 hours layover at Schiphol Airport: Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.5 hours layover at Schiphol Airport: Any tips?

Hello Everyone,
    I'm traveling to Norway via Amsterdam. The other times I've traveled internationally, I've had a 1-hour to 2-hour layover and that was enough time to clear border patrol and find the next departing gate. Therefore I liked having something to do rather than sitting in one spot for a long time.

This time, I plan to find my gate first then find a restroom to freshen up and change (Overnight flight so I am going to clean up a bit). Then what? I absolutely cannot concentrate and read while traveling so that is not an option. This time I am carefully packing my laptop in the bag that's going to be checked (too heavy and too much hassle at TSA)

I read some tips from previous threads however for those who have traveled via or who had a layover at the Schiphol airport, what tips could you share?

- For starters, what was your experience at Schiphol?
    - how is border patrol?
    - Is the $/Euro easily accepted? or do I need the local currency? I don't want to use my c.card because I get charged twice
    - FOOD: I am Vegan so I usually have my bag of snacks... but what would you recommend?

As usual, your responses are very much appreciated.
    Thank you

The local currency is the Euro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro. You will not be able to use dollars.

That's all I've got, haven't had to layover in Amsterdam yet.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Why do you get charged twice if you use your credit card?

4.5 isn't too long a layover, you can just wander around and look at shops- that's how I usually kill a bunch of time. You shouldn't have to go through immigration there since you aren't leaving the airport. I just flew through Paris CDG and didn't need to go through immigration since I never left the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post

4.5 isn't too long a layover, you can just wander around and look at shops- that's how I usually kill a bunch of time. You shouldn't have to go through immigration there since you aren't leaving the airport. I just flew through Paris CDG and didn't need to go through immigration since I never left the airport.
        Probably a charge for the conversion and then a charge per transaction?

It isn't really that long, I used to take my Kindle for the airport waiting around. From what I recall from a stopover there years ago, it's a fair sized airport with plenty of shops to look around.

Comment

Thank You Moon. Good to know,

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
          What I meant is that I get charged both for the item and for international fees each time. of course the int'l fee won't show until statement time. Last time I didn't bother to check on fees and whatnot and my statement was ridiculous

Comment

Originally posted by kattermole View Post
            Probably a charge for the conversion and then a charge per transaction?

It isn't really that long, I used to take my Kindle for the airport waiting around. From what I recall from a stopover there years ago, it's a fair sized airport with plenty of shops to look around.
            Ok I am going to drill that in my mind because it seems like forever to be in an airport... since I've never done such internationally. I have a Kindle but I swear my eyes cross when I try to focus on reading. I'm always on edge when I travel internationally... not sure why, not sure how to fix it either so shorter layovers have always helped. Thanks!

Comment

You will actually go through immigration in the Netherlands (Norway and Netherlands are in the Schengen Zone: Common travel area). I cannot speak for the Netherlands but my experiences with European immigration have been pretty easy. I would not expect to be asked any more questions beyond what the purpose of your trip is and how long you expect to be there for.

The Netherlands-Norway flight will essentially be like a US domestic flight. My GF told me that Amsterdam Schipol airport is pretty big and there are lots of things to do in there so you should be fine.

Also what kind of charges are applied to your credit card? Is it a flat fee per transaction or is it a fee calculated as a % of the cost of the transaction?

Comment

Go to the Rituals Spa and get a manicure

Comment

Schipol is actually pretty big, and there's plenty of stuff to do. 4,5 hours really isn't that long at all, but from my experience it took a while to get through everything and finding the next gate since the airport is pretty big. It's been 3 years since I was there though, things might've changed. Euro is the currency so you should be just fine with that, otherwise I'd be seriously confused. Just look around at all the shops, go to the museum or to the spa, or use one of the massage-chairs that should be placed here and there all over the airport

Met online: February 2011
                  Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    You will actually go through immigration in the Netherlands (Norway and Netherlands are in the Schengen Zone: Common travel area). I cannot speak for the Netherlands but my experiences with European immigration have been pretty easy. I would not expect to be asked any more questions beyond what the purpose of your trip is and how long you expect to be there for.
                    OK about this ^, my mind is running wild now... would that mean I will not need to go through immigration once in Norway? And would that mean I could step outside of the airport (not going anywhere off the airport!!!) to snap a picture of the building/grounds? well if that is possible then 4.5 hours are actually pretty nice to have.

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                    Also what kind of charges are applied to your credit card? Is it a flat fee per transaction or is it a fee calculated as a % of the cost of the transaction?
                    I looked at my statement again and it seems like each time I got charged a strange % of the cost of the transaction (tried to figure out what that percentage is but I'm all over the place) and I'd have to check with them because it looks like I was also hit with a one time fee. I do get atm fees for withdrawals. I am planning to withdraw large decent amounts of cash twice or thrice in Norway to avoid using my card all the time like I did last time.

Comment

yeah thanks everyone for putting 4.5 hours in perspective for me, I think out of all the planning the layover was the most frustrating part for me. I just hate feeling stuck in one spot. But it looks like the airport is huge for window shopping so that could work... more tips if you can spare... thanx

Comment

I just had 4 & 5 hour layovers in Germany, and what I do is view them as mini-adventures. I listen to people speaking in languages I don't understand, just to catch the flow of it. I find food I've never tried, drink strange sodas (cola and orange mixed together in Dusseldorf, and orange soda mixed with dark brown ale in Iceland), shop for foreign chocolate, makeup brands, and bath products, and, depending on time and logistics, at least step outside the airport. I did a little research and found that downtown Dusseldorf was only 10 minutes by bus from the airport, so I was going to go check it out, and walk along the Rhine for an hour, and go back until I realized I landed at 5:55am A little too early for exploring!

With the exception of laying over in awful Heathrow, I always try to enjoy my layovers, they're interesting. OK, OK, sometimes they can get boring, but that's what my Kindle is for Go to the airport website, see what's there, and have some fun. Also, to make it more enjoyable, keep your carry-on light and small. This way you don't get tired or sore from toting it around the place.
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                          Also, to make it more enjoyable, keep your carry-on light and small. This way you don't get tired or sore from toting it around the place.
                          Oh shoot Moon, this is the part where the actor gets killed, I've been trying to pack "smart" for the 3-month-between-seasons trip and I thought I could maximize the usage of my carry on to fit more things into the bag that will be checked-in while staying within limits... As far as clothing and personal items, I am stripped to the basic minimum so most of the stuff consist of hiking gear and backpacking items and I am hauling spices that I use to make vegan stuff taste decent... Stuff that I didn't find there last time... as a matter of fact my carry-on is so heavy, although not bulky, that I am totally preparing to store it by my feet instead of trying to put it overhead... Therefore I am stuck to the airports grounds.

I like the idea of visiting the airport's website and see what I can learn from there. It'll be nice to be able to go outside though... even for a few minutes.
                          Last edited by Gin_12; July 30, 2013, 12:46 AM. Reason: add "the"

Comment

Originally posted by Gin_12 View Post
                            OK about this ^, my mind is running wild now... would that mean I will not need to go through immigration once in Norway? And would that mean I could step outside of the airport (not going anywhere off the airport!!!) to snap a picture of the building/grounds? well if that is possible then 4.5 hours are actually pretty nice to have.
                            Nope! You should only go through immigration in Amsterdam. When you land in Norway, you will just walk out of the airport. You should be able to walk out of the airport once you get through immigration. As long as you have your ongoing ticket, you should be able to go through security again and board the Norwegien flight.

I looked at my statement again and it seems like each time I got charged a strange % of the cost of the transaction (tried to figure out what that percentage is but I'm all over the place) and I'd have to check with them because it looks like I was also hit with a one time fee. I do get atm fees for withdrawals. I am planning to withdraw large decent amounts of cash twice or thrice in Norway to avoid using my card all the time like I did last time.
                            If you only get hit with a % fee, I don't see any issue in using your card while you're in Europe. I would be weary with getting cash (if you plan on travelling a lot) because Norway doesn't use the euro and neither does it's close neighbours Sweden or Denmark. It's much better/easier to use your card in these instances because Visa cards are very easily accepted.

Comment

Reply from a Dutchie here, I use Schiphol all the time so I hope I can help!
                              Schiphol was voted the best Western aiport in the world! https://www.worldairportawards.com/A...013/top100.htm

Since you come from international flight and going to a EU flight you'll have to go through customs since the 2 'terminals' (non-EU and EU) are separated. But no big deal, they just glare at your passport and might ask you the purpose of your stay.
                              Local currency is indeed Euro and most shops there only accept that, but getting money from ATM will probably even cost you more than using your credit card for those few transactions.
                              Amsterdam is too far away to visit, it's a 1/2 hour train ride so you cannot visit it. 4.5 hours could be enough in theory but don't risk it.
                              Just go window shopping, in both 'terminals' there is more than enough stuff to keep you occupied for a little and the rest of the time... well, you just have to wait it out near your gate!

Comment

Working...
                              X