Entry into the UK as a visitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry into the UK as a visitor

I've spent my break trying to navigate the UK Boarder Agency Website, I hate that thing >

I think I have come to the conclusion that my SO as a US citizen won't need a visa to visit me here if he's only coming for a couple of weeks. What scares me though is the list of 'supported documents' that they say you 'may need'.

Americans coming here for a visit what have you actually been asked for and what have you brought?

Yeah, Americans visiting the UK don't need a visa for a short-visit.

Now, on documentation. I'm not American but when I went to the UK, I only had to show my proof of a return ticket and put an address on my arrival card. It's always good to bring as much evidence with you as possible but I doubt that your SO will need to provide too much unless he gives a reason to show them.

Comment

I visited the UK twice... the first time, I brought a letter from my employer, a financial statement to show that I had enough for myself, and a return ticket. The IO just asked me a few questions about my job, and I went along my way. The second time, I brought the same stuff, this IO asked to see my letter, and return ticket, and asked a bit about my stay, as well as questions about my job. Then again, I stayed for about a month during both those times, and I said I was visiting my husband. I believe it depends on the Immigration Officer. Some can be nicer, others can be a bit more intimidating. It is always good for your SO to bring just enough evidence to show that he has ties to the US, and that he has no intention of staying in the UK. Honesty is also always the best policy; the worst thing to do is to lie to the IOs, and also advice your SO to not be nervous. Be polite, and friendly.

Comment

Working...
      X