Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do in Rome?

Hey everyone!
    I'm planning on visiting the SO again in September. The last time I went he took me pretty much everywhere except for Rome.
    I tol him that I would like to go this year coming up for my next visit. I think it's perfect because he's never been to that city either, even though he's lived in that country his whole life. ANWay, I was wondering if some of you would give some tips and suggestions on what to do and where to go besides the obvious Colosseum. Please and thank you! =]
    sigpic
    Met August 2012
    Official Nov. 18 2012
    Visited him in Italy August 8 2013
    He's visiting April 7-28 2014
    I visited: Aug. 26-Sept. 25 2014

Along the lines of regular attractions - the Forum (can do the same time as the Colosseum and if you get the 3 part ticket at the Forum or Palatino, the lines are way shorter), Vatican, Spanish Steps (a great place for a cute couple picture!), Piazza Navona, Pantheon hm...can't think of others right now. Oh, Villa Borghese is an interesting place and the park is nice for a stroll.

When I studied there, I loved walking along Via Corso at night or around Trastevere in Piazza Santa Maria. Many times there are street performers that are fun to watch. It's also fun to go to a cafe in the morning during rush hour and sit at a booth while sipping a cappuccino and people-watch. Public transportation is fairly easy and it's effective in Rome, much cheaper than taxis, and walking is always a good option. There is a chance it could rain but there is also a chance there could still be mosquitoes around. If you have access to AAA (the auto company) make an appointment to talk to one of their travel reps at their offices. They usually have really good resources.

I wish I could remember restaurant names! Food in Rome is good, try finding places away from tourist areas and the food quality will definitely increase!
    When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
    no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

I went to Rome for a week or so with my SO a little over a year ago, and I definitely recommend all the "classic" tourist attractions such as the ones listed by Conejita - as well as Fontana Di Trevi and Castel Sant'Angelo. The castle was really impressive, with all its history and the architecture. Then, it was of course even cooler because I'm a sucker for the books/films by Dan Brown

Other than that, the best thing we did during our visit was to go visit Via Appia Antica. You have to take the bus (or well, we did because we are poor xD I'm sure there's some other way to get there) a bit outside of "main" Rome, but it's so worth it. We packed lunch that we brought, and just walked aaaaaaall along the road just looking at all the amazing houses and remnants from the Roman Empire, and then had our picnic outside an old, withered look-out post. It was really great, and maybe not something that all tourists do (we were almost alone), and definitely something I recommend. Especially if you can appreciate the greatness and the history that belongs to the place

Have a great trip!

Met online: February 2011
      Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

I have not been there in several years, but hopefully the bar on top the Spanish steps is still there. They made martinis with fresh squeezed fruit juices that knocked my sock off. I would also suggest the day trip to Pompeii if you have not been there yet. I did not make it to the Catacombs but that sounds cool too. The most surreal Roman feeling for me was walking around the Forum. Rome is a great walking city, so pack comfortable shoes and wander around. It is what I consider working vacation, where you go to bed early, get up early and hit the trail running. I only did about 3 of the tours because I enjoyed the guides and having other tourists around some of the time and going off on my own at others. I would not recommend using a tour for the Vatican or other churches, that seemed more of a head ache to be with a group there. Watch out for young children trying to distract you so that others can steal your cash especially while you are sitting outside eating along the narrow streets. Rome is my favorite city in the world so far. Enjoy.
        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

aojeda50! Rome is the most famous city of Italy. It is also the capital of Italy. It is also a beautiful city and has so many amazing buildings and places in it like Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain and Palatine Hill. You should must try them all you'll love them.

Comment

Rome is the great and major city of Italy. It has several interesting points for all types of people. It not only offers the historical places but also offers the stunning and alluring attractions just like Aventine Hill, Pont du Gard and Pont de les Ferreres. If you are one of art lovers so, it is the best choice for you and you will find there numerous art galleries and museums.

Comment

Working...
            X