No announcement yet.

USA to Finland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh boy. Look, you are young and smitten and are probably not going to listen to my advice, so I won't give you any. All I can say is, good luck and I hope it turns out for the best.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by iloveafinnishgirl View Post
      trust me when i say she knows things about me i didn't even know and vice versa and she has been there for me always, and what she wants is what i plan to give her
      That's what we all think. A word of advice, if you go to fast you will find you only damage the relationship. From what I've seen people in the Nordics like to take things rather slow relationship wise (correct me if I'm wrong people!), for example it isn't unusual at all to have a 5 years long engagement in Finland (if you're not rather religious).

I have no idea how much you know about Finland and Finns in general but I'd suggest educating yourself and visit to see how you like it. Especially in winter. I don't know if you know about Finnish winter, but the further north you go, the shorter the day (at home my shortest day in winter is something like 4-5 hours). Even in Helsinki it gets dark and even more miserable if they don't get any snow. You'll probably say you can do it but it affects a lot of natives badly, so there's no reason why it shouldn't affect you as well. That's just one of the things people find hard to acclimatise to, there's language (like many previously mentioned), mentality (that differs a lot even from community to community), political orientation and so on.
      We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Originally posted by Alsfia View Post
        That's what we all think. A word of advice, if you go to fast you will find you only damage the relationship. From what I've seen people in the Nordics like to take things rather slow relationship wise (correct me if I'm wrong people!), for example it isn't unusual at all to have a 5 years long engagement in Finland (if you're not rather religious).

I have no idea how much you know about Finland and Finns in general but I'd suggest educating yourself and visit to see how you like it. Especially in winter. I don't know if you know about Finnish winter, but the further north you go, the shorter the day (at home my shortest day in winter is something like 4-5 hours). Even in Helsinki it gets dark and even more miserable if they don't get any snow. You'll probably say you can do it but it affects a lot of natives badly, so there's no reason why it shouldn't affect you as well. That's just one of the things people find hard to acclimatise to, there's language (like many previously mentioned), mentality (that differs a lot even from community to community), political orientation and so on.

my SO has taught me most of what you have told me but the language, and she has expressed wanting to marry me

Comment

If she speaks English, why don't you guys try to bring her to the US. It seems to me like it would be easier for her to move there than for you to move to Finland.

Comment

This thread is only a "few" months old, but still xD

Hopefully you enjoy(ed?) your time in Finland. Be careful though, you seem to rush. You're in love, but please don't lose your mind I also don't really think that you marry her on the first visit, lol. I mean, you need to spend time together to find out if she's really the right person for you in the long run, you would need to plan the wedding, and everything so soon... to me, it just sounds unrealistic. I know, it's none of my business, but I'm just saying. Enjoy your time, stay patient

Someone said that you have to educate yourself first, and it's true. If you want to find a job, or join the Finnish military or whatever, first of all: know the Finnish law, LEARN Finnish (and/or Swedish, lol). Your girlfriend should let you know how things work in Finland, it's SO much more different (and perhaps better?) than in US. You get the idea. Good luck.
            Last edited by Liiru; July 10, 2014, 09:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

IIRC, she broke up with him soon after he posted this thread, so I doubt he'll be reading this.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I thought I continue on this thread since USA to Finland is the topic. I have written in other threads and we have slowly moved forward over almost 3 years we've known each other. We have big issues to solve but we're starting by bringing him to Finland in a week's time!!! I've been to the States now 4 times to be with him. He runs his own business and we have looked at Migri pages to see what is the best possible way to get a permit to live and work here. I wonder if anyone has any experience on how this might work as a self employed person. If it's as easy as it sounds.
                https://www.migri.fi/working_in_finl...he_application

First of course he has to create contacts and have projects with Finnish clients but that he is already working on. He will be in Finland for the Slush (www.slush.org) and he wants to make appointments with prospective clients and I hope it works out.

If the above works out would be good. Bue also we are prepared to get married once his divorce is clear (he is still legally married in the US).

Any ideas / comments on what we could do to prepare for our future in Finland?

Comment

Working...
                X