Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Situation in Italy?

Hello there,
    So there is a big big possibility that I will be the one to move to close the distance.
    My SO lives in Italy. I wanted to research and learn the job situation in Italy. So what is it like right now?
    I'm getting my license in esthetics. Not many people know what that is. Basically we work with the outermost layer of the skin, the epidermis. Facials, microderms, chemical peels, laser, etc.
    I'm already researching on transferring my license.
    I know asking around is much different than actually go out there and searching myself. I just need a little guidance.
    sigpic
    Met August 2012
    Official Nov. 18 2012
    Visited him in Italy August 8 2013
    He's visiting April 7-28 2014
    I visited: Aug. 26-Sept. 25 2014

I've never been to Italy, so my advice may not be worth much. However, I know a few estheticians here in California who have started their own businesses as freelancers. Is there a possibility you could do that in Italy once you transfer your license? Also, are you fluent in Italian?

Good luck!

Comment

I know in general the job market isn't great in Italy (more like really bad, last I heard but it could be for certain industries). I'm not sure for estheticians but as emsimes mentioned, it might be better for those who can have their own businesses. Maybe try searching for an Italian forum dedicated to professionals in services including esthetics?
      When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
      no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Comment

It's my understanding that, in general, it's very bad there right now, especially for young adults. Because your field is a customer service field, you'll be at a big disadvantage in an already terrible job market if you aren't at least conversational in Italian. If you don't speak Italian, start right now. Think about it, why would anyone hire you when so many Italians need a job?
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

According to my brother (who lives in Italy), there is a lot of burocracy there and to do what you want to do you should inform yourself very well. Right now the situation is not ideal and more and more people want to migrate from Italy. I would not recommend just going there in hopes that it will work. In my opinion, you should find iformation about the esthetics license validation and all that and go from there. Italian might not be totally necessary, but you're life will be much easier if you understand well what they are saying. My brother is a translator and could probably help you with paperwork and so on. Just leave a private message if you're interested!

Comment

I feel like it is something I have to reply to. But the situation isnt very nice..
            Jobs are hard to find, my sister who is almost 25 doesnt have a job even though she has both diploma and degree. The only thing she does, when she can, is babysitting to the children from our family friends.
            Many teens here decide to attend esthetic schools because they offer them a job instantly; esthetic is a relevant sector - at least where I live, but I believe it's a general thing. But I guess it will be hard to work as an employee (and employees have a base salary, like with all jobs unless you're a lawyer or doctor) or make money enough to have your own activity. There are a lot of taxes, and plus yes I think you need to know italian, because - depending if you move to a big or small city - few people know english (another shame of us, ugh.)

If you need any info feel free to contact me.
            Last edited by Cristiana; August 12, 2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X