School Trip To Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Trip To Italy

As the title says I am going on a school trip to Italy for about a month to take a class at a local college in Florence. I've traveled before but never without my parents outside of the country so I am very nervous. Obviously I'll be with a group, but I don't want to seem like a silly American tourist. Can anyone give me some tips about traveling and places to go visit on my off days? I'm also worried traveling as a *ahem* more plus sized lady especially in the middle of June when I assume it would be hot.
    First Met Online: April 2016
    Started Going Out: September 18, 2016
    First Meeting: Jan 11-18, 2017
    Next Meeting: Nov 8-12, 2018

Florence is a beautiful city! You’ll love it there

The food is incredible (of course). There seem to be gelato shops around every corner, and the pizza and pasta dishes are amazing. The cathedrals and palaces are beautiful, and everyone I encountered was very friendly. There were a lot of tourists when I visited, and mostly all the shopkeepers/waiters spoke English. I would definitely pack your summer clothes as it will probably be pretty hot/humid that time of year. The only thing I disliked about Italy in general were the peddlers. You’ll see them all over the place selling little trinkets of jewelry, clothing, etc. They will come up to you constantly, even in restaurants, trying to sell you something. It was annoying, but they’ll back off if you decline.

I spent much of my early 20s traveling throughout Europe by myself and with my ex. It was a little scary at first, but you will have the time of your life! The culture, the food, the people, and the history really make it a magical city

Comment

Oh wow! That sounds so lovely I've been trying to look into some of the sights - besides what I will be touring on the school related trips (which I'm sure will be a lot of museums). I'd love to get to a beach at least once! I'm so sad the timing of the trip is right when I'm starting to try and lose weight and eat healthy, I figure I'll be doing a lot of walking so a little pasta and wine won't hurt too much. I heard a lot about the peddling as well as having to be weary of thieves (I am not a city girl) but I think that was over exaggerated? They made it sound so aggressive and to be super safe - I'm just worried since I am VERY shy and find it hard to speak up for myself.

I'm so glad to hear you had a great experience with your trip - I hope mine will be the same!

Comment

Originally posted by Allurial View Post
        Oh wow! That sounds so lovely I've been trying to look into some of the sights - besides what I will be touring on the school related trips (which I'm sure will be a lot of museums). I'd love to get to a beach at least once! I'm so sad the timing of the trip is right when I'm starting to try and lose weight and eat healthy, I figure I'll be doing a lot of walking so a little pasta and wine won't hurt too much. I heard a lot about the peddling as well as having to be weary of thieves (I am not a city girl) but I think that was over exaggerated? They made it sound so aggressive and to be super safe - I'm just worried since I am VERY shy and find it hard to speak up for myself.

I'm so glad to hear you had a great experience with your trip - I hope mine will be the same!
        I think you’ll have a wonderful time! All the walking will definitely make up for the food
        I’m a pretty shy person as well, and I’ve always struggled with speaking my mind. The peddlers were never aggressive or scary, at least not in my experience. They can be intrusive, but they won’t bother you if you say you’re not interested

Comment

Heya,

Florence (Firenze) is a beautiful city, and actually the complete area (Tuscany) is fantastic. There are of course the classic touristy things in Florence that you could do (for sure visit the Ufizi museum)... but also just enjoy the climate, food and wine, and the general atmosphere of being abroad.

Actually most Italians don't just eat pizza and pasta, they eat a lot of fresh produce and Tuscany is well known for some very nice local specialities. For example tagliata (sliced beef) typically served with green summer vegetables. So all in all I shouldn't worry to much about your diet/weight during your visit, if you stay a bit active.

Also try to visit some other cities, like Siena, Lucca, Pisa... they all have a different vibe and are from Florence easily reachable with public transport.

If you want to go to the beach... you could combine it with visiting the Ligurian coast and the cinque terre, 5 little villages on the coast that are really very beautiful (look it up).

Finally it's never a bad idea, to pick up some easy sentences in Italian, it's going to appreciated if you try to speak some words in the local language.

All in all just have fun. You'll enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Allurial View Post
            As the title says I am going on a school trip to Italy for about a month to take a class at a local college in Florence. I've traveled before but never without my parents outside of the country so I am very nervous. Obviously I'll be with a group, but I don't want to seem like a silly American tourist. Can anyone give me some tips about traveling and places to go visit on my off days? I'm also worried traveling as a *ahem* more plus sized lady especially in the middle of June when I assume it would be hot.
            Hello-- fellow plus-sized avid traveler here In Europe I've found that capris were very easy and comfortable to wear during the summer. They are more comfortable, more stylish, and more publicly acceptable than shorts. Light, drapey tops also work well, as they're easy to pack tightly and won't weigh you down when you're out and about. You'll want a pair of comfortable walking shoes as well-- not traditional "sneakers", but something a little less sporty, like keds (example). Pack smart and light-- a few pairs of pants + a week's worth of tops is usually plenty for a month, as you can re-wear and wash things. Bring a light sweater even though it's summer. My goal is always to leave extra room in my bag on the way to my destination so that I know for sure I'll have space for any items I pick up while abroad. If you're checking a bag, don't bring the max size allowable-- go a few inches smaller (tbh a 24" or 26" bag should be totally sufficient) so that you'll be less at risk of overpacking or going over weight. Plus, it's just easier to maneuver with a smaller bag. Bring a satchel or other cross-body bag (not just over-the-shoulder) with a zipper top and an inside pocket to carry your belongings in. Some people recommend getting one of those bags that you can wear under your shirt for things like your money and cards-- they're a good idea, but can also be uncomfortable. I've always just been very aware of my bag at all times.

In terms of traveling, make sure you plan out your routes ahead of time so you know where you're going. If you're worried about airports, look them up beforehand. You can find out the terminal you'll be in and pull up maps just by searching your airline and the name of the airport. Figure out your train route before you get to the station. Write/print out schedules so you don't have to rely on your phone should the battery run out from taking too many pictures. Find out where to buy those prepaid phones just in case something happens to your own. Try not to go anywhere alone-- partly for your own safety, and partly because it's just much easier navigating an unfamiliar place with a second brain at your side.

Most importantly, have fun!!!!
            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thank you all so much for the advice and helpful words!! I’ve started to listen to an Italian podcast to learn some basic phrases just so I can at least make an effort to fully engage in the culture and experience. I must say though I’ve struggled with a lot of the launguages I’ve learned so far I find Nordic languages come easier to me, but I won’t give up. How is the nightlife? I’ve got classes and trips during the day but I’d love to go out at night as well, would I be okay to go with a small group of just girls? I’m going to try and push my limits a bit and get out and be more social.

Comment

School Trip To Italy

Our daughters class grade 2 will be visiting the agricultural museum next week as a field trip to learn about animals and their life systems growth and change.

I hope to attend, Im not sure what to expect but I think Ill feel better if Im there.

Her school has been very good this year but there are times when I simply feel that I dont know enough about the up coming situation to deem it safe.

Comment

Working...
                X