Opening a bank account in Uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening a bank account in Uk

I have heard that is not an easy task to open a bank account in the uk. Has any non uk citizen done this after closing the distance? Any advice on what I need and which bank to use? Thanks

When I lived in England for 6 months, I had a bank account with HSBC... it was SIMPLE to get, all I had to do was have my house mate who also banked there "sponsor" me... Erick went with me to the bank branch and I filled out the paperwork, showed them my passport, and walked out with a bank account number-- they they mailed me my Cash Point (ATM card) shortly after. One thing I can't remember is, if I needed a deposit right away... but it's probably a good idea to deposit something right away when you set it up... Once you arrive, you can always contact the branch you want to bank out of and ask them what you would need to open an account.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Oh that's really interesting.

I was about to say that I didn't know for definite if it was possible if your not a citizen. That's really interesting to know that it might be possible for my SO to get one.

Exciting!
      Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Oh that's really interesting.

I was about to say that I didn't know for definite if it was possible if your not a citizen. That's really interesting to know that it might be possible for my SO to get one.

Exciting!
        Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

oh also... it's a good idea to get your "Tax Number" right away... automatically when your there, your issued a temporary one which usually is TN and then your date of birth.. ie. TN4987... I suggest getting this accomplished first thing when you arrive... You will need this when you open a Bank account number-- And if you get a job while living in UK... it's even easier to get hired... Hope this info helps too... if you have any other questions, just ask... or if I think of anything I'll try to remember to post it... it's been awhile since I lived there 2004...

Updated:

Also just remembered.... HSBC was AWESOME when I moved back to the US... I had a balance in my account of just over 50.00 Quid... once I was back in the states.. I sent a letter to the branch I opened the account out of-- asking to please close my account and send me a Cheque with the remaining balance minus any commission as I wanted it converted from British Pounds to US Dollars... and about a month or 2 later.. had a cheque just over $130.00 to cash at my local US bank! I would recommend banking with HSBC any day of the week!
          Last edited by fiestydyste; April 23, 2011, 11:49 PM. Reason: updated info

Comment

Isn't that funny I was about to ask the same question :P Also if anyone knows, how do you get a national insurance number? Does the bank do that for you or..?

Comment

I opened a bank account with NatWest, but I kind of cheated because at that time I was working as an au pair and apply for the university, therefore the bank thinks the address of my host family is my permanent address, which is not. Try to use your SO's address if you don't want to pay, because as far as I know, if you are foreign you have to pay about £8 a month for having an account.

Sav88, if you want a NIN, go to the jobcentre, they will tell you who to call and when is your interview. Then you just have to wait to get your NIN card by post. My bank didn't ask me for my NIN, I didn't need it for a part-time job either, but for a full-time job you need one I guess.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
              X