Travel Insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Insurance?

So, as I've squeed about many a time already...my SO's family has invited me to their ritual trek to Disney! There's just one problem...and I guess I was wondering if any of you had advice.

I'm getting my masters in education. By this time next year, I would like to be teaching in a school somewhere. My SO's family has planned their trip for the last 2 weeks of August, through Labor Day weekend (8/17 to 9/3).

In teacher land...this is the "hell week" of the year. I've already found out that I have an optional....ish... state professional development day on August 21st. And since every school starts at different times around here...I have no certainty as to when I'll be needed on site...but I know that this is cutting it close, if not colliding.

When planning any trip (but especially a disney trip) I know its crucial to plan in advance. So I'm looking at packages now. At the moment, I'm shopping for 8/18-8/25. I can buy everything right now for about $600. If I wait...of course It'll go up.

SO...I guess my question is what would you guys do? I don't have a job secure right now and I likely won't until the early summer. Should I wait until I know whats going on to book? I feel like that'd be so rude to his family though...PLUS it'd be so expensive if I book last minute. On the other hand if I have NO job by this time...I'll be free the full 2 weeks and I'll have only committed to half of that....but thats ok because its better than nothing. Is there travel insurance for this sort of thing? Or am I just stuck?

Of course "opting out" is still an option, but...if I don't go who knows when I'll see my SO again...it'll have already been 18 months. Plus my SO's family pushed their plans back 2 weeks with me in mind. So to say no now would be sort of rude...

Every insurance policy is different. Find some insurance companies and look at their terms and conditions. If it says having to cancel a trip due to work is a valid reason then book the holiday. But it might save you the trouble if you want till you know if you have to work or not, I don't think that is unfair to them. It might cost a bit more but then you don't have the mess of trying to file claims or worse yet being denied and not getting any money back.

Comment

Book it and tell your school you can't come.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
        My boyfriend suggested this as well. He said that I just need to be upfront and honest at my interview. But I wonder if that would cripple my application for a job saying "oh Im not going to be there the week before classes start" like It would make me seem to not take things seriously...?

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
        My boyfriend suggested this as well. He said that I just need to be upfront and honest at my interview. But I wonder if that would cripple my application for a job saying "oh Im not going to be there the week before classes start" like It would make me seem to not take things seriously...?

Comment

So wait, will you just be missing this conference, or will you be missing the week before school? There's no way they'll hire you if you can't be there the week before school starts. Or is it the week before TEACHERS start?

Comment

For MOST schools in the state, the week that I'm planning for usually lands on the week before teachers start. The one professional development day/meeting that is in question for certain is for all state ag teachers, but it wouldn't necessarily be required by the school I'm working for. I guess that's sort of confusing...I forget that not everyone lives in the AG realm haha.

As an Ag teacher I'll have a full year contract instead of the standard 9 months with summers off. I will most likely need to take vacation time no matter what. My main concern is if it IS the week before school. I have no way of knowing right now as a certification candidate. The openings for next year haven't even been posted yet. Otherwise I'd be looking at EVERY potential district calendar for conflicts.

I know that there is that risk of cancellation and if it ends up being the week before school for the district that hires me. If so, I will need to cancel my plans with him. I'm not going to throw away a career opportunity for a week in Disney. My SO knows this, thats part of why its so hard to make plans right now...instead of something to be excited about, we're more tense and just avoiding the subject. :/

So my dilemma comes from not knowing. Do I buy now with the chance of needing to cancel...or do I wait until I know (which could be as late as July) and risk being unable to go because of prices or whatever. He thinks I should put it out there with my interview, but I feel that would totally screw my chances...

Comment

Definitely don't say anything about it in the interview. Most schools do hiring in April so I have a feeling schedules will be posted at the latest by then. Professional development days are BS. If you miss one you usually just have to make up the time by going to another "optional" one later in the year. That's no big deal. Are you interning at a school right now? I'd ask your cooperating teacher for advice and to see if they know when calendars come out.

Comment

Working...
              X