A Question About Carry-On Luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question About Carry-On Luggage

So I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I'll ask anyways (and sorry if this is long). In April I'm flying to the states from Canada to see my guy and it'll be the first time flying so I'm a little confused. I know I can take on one suitcase and a personal item (purse or backpack?) as long as it meets the requirements. Now, I'm packing as lightly as possilble so I think i can fit in a week's worth of clothes and maybe my makeup/toiletries.Anything else that I'll be bringing is going into my purse or backpack. I won't be bringing that many clothes anyways since I only need one or two pairs of jeans and some leggings (I can wash everything at his place) and then just some shirts and undergarments. Plus, I really don't have many clothes to begin with :P Okay now I'm rambling sorry!

Anyways, am I going to be okay with security if I'm only brining carry-on luggage? I've been told that security ight think i'm suspicious because i won't be checking any luggage. Is that true? I really don't want to check in luggage because of the cost and fear of losing my suitcase (I'm already scared of flying so i don't need to worry about that too) as I don't have many clothes to begin with so I need what I have. So will I be okay with just brining carry-on luggage? Thanks

Be suspicious? No way. Where did you even hear this? I only check bags when I absolutely HAVE to. Just remember that liquids and gels have to be under 8oz (or is it 5?) or they throw them away.

Comment

Okay good! My mom was the one who told me and I was confused. But thank you, one less thing to worry about! I wont have much for any liquids or gels, I'll be buying and shampoo/conditioner etc while I'm staying. The only other thing liquid wise is my paints and I'm pretty sure they are under that. I'll check the Air Canada website or whichever one I'm flying with to make sure of the size. thanks again!

Comment

The size for liquids is 3 ounces in your carry-on. I wouldn't worry about looking suspicious. One time the airline did lose my luggage (talk about awful!) so I didn't have any to check in when I left England and nobody said anything to me. There are lots of people that do it. Also since you're flying internationally, most airlines let you check one bag in for free.
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I don't think it would be suspicious. Just make sure you don't have any sharp objects or too much liquid.

Comment

As previous posters stated, a liquid or gel can only be 3 ozs in size and all of them must fit in a 1 quart ziplock bag if i remember correctly. As far as the suspicion traveling with only carry on, that may have been the case years ago but with what the airlines have been doing this has become more and more common as baggage fees have gone up and up Relax and try to enjoy the trip and the experience, and try not to let TSA give you too much grief or ruin your trip.

Comment

I personally think it has to do with how the Airport staff feel that day etc... I've been let through with an open bottle of water in my hand, or even one time a full liter bottle of Shampoo. Like anywhere it has to do with how they feel about the looks of you and if they had a good morning. But don't worry about it if your purchasing most of your liquids when your there then you should have no problem! If you want to make sure that you don't have too much buy the empty travel sized containers from the dollar store or Shoppers Drug Mart and fill 'em up.

Just a tip: Empty out your purse/pockets the night before and make sure all loose change is in your wallet. Also avoid wearing belts and anything else that's metal. I don't remember if your going through U.S or International customs but wearing easy to remove shoes such as Uggs or runners will also make the process a little less annoying if they make you take your shoes off.

Comment

Liquid and/or gel can only be 3oz or less. No, they shouldn't give you grief or be suspicious about only bringing carry on luggage. When I go to visit my SO, I only check a bag because I need to pack my pillow and my liquid items are more than 3oz. If I had only 3oz items and didn't need my pillow or textbooks (damn being a college student), then I would most definitely only bring carry-on items. My dad and stepmom gave me a travel backpack for my birthday, which I can fit all of my clothes and other necessary items including my laptop in, so that's my primary bag when I travel.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Trust me, no one will think anything of it if you don't check any luggage. Thanks to the rising cost of checking even one bag, more and more people are taking just a carry on and a personal item. You may be asked to "check" your luggage once you get to your plane if there is limited overhead bin space, but that just means that the flight attendants will take your luggage, put a special tag on it (usually a fluorescent color like neon green or pink), and put it in a special compartment of the plane so you can get it right when you deplane. That should be your only issue. If you don't have to "check" your bag, then just try to get on the plane as fast as possible to maximize the odds of your having overhead space. Happy traveling!

Comment

Thank you everyone! I'm just trying to get anything confusing out of the way, it'll already be stressful enough for me to be in an airport/airplane and fly by myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X