Do you need cheap place to stay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you need cheap place to stay?

Hey! I know how expensive it can be to find a place to stay visiting your SO!
    Something that has come in handy are hostels. You can go to your favorite search engine for them in your SO's area.

What is a hostel?
    Wikipedia: Hostel is a budget-oriented, overnight lodging place where travelers rent accommodation by the bed as opposed to the whole room

How much do hostels cost?
    Anywhere from $15-$45 per night depending on where you're going or how open your willing to be with roommates.

What are the requirements?
    Unfortunately for in-state LDR's this won't help much but as long as you are out of state or out of country and have an ID to prove it, you're good to go.

Is it safe?
    Hostels are MEANT for travellers. So you won't be seeing any homeless people hanging out there. Like I said above, you have to be out of state or out of country so you would be with other travellers as well. I have looked into staying at some places that look like a bed and breakfast! They have reviews as well in case you're questioning the safety.

This would be a great idea if your SO lives with roommates or parents and you staying the night isn't an option.
    It's cheap enough that although you MAY be sleeping in a room with another traveller, you'll have a warm place to stay.

I've had experience with this being on a tight budget and not making very much money per month.
    I hope this helps!

-Alisha

There was a topic about this a little while ago. I always stay in hostels if I can, it makes a trip so much cheaper.

Comment

Oh yes I have heard of these! My SO and I will be staying in hostels when we travel together this summer. Also most hostels are for STUDENTS, not just travelers on a travelers visa. So if you flash your college ID you can get in. A lot of them offer free food, airport transportation, discounts on shows, clubs, museums, etc. So I think it is definitely worth it!
      Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

This would be a good idea, but her mum wouldn't let her do it. Shes not even allowed to stay overnight in the same city as me

Comment

The first time my SO and I went away together we stayed in a youth hostel. We liked the place well enough but the lack of privacy was a bit bothersome, so from then on we started saving up for B&Bs and hotels instead. I think a hostel is good value for money though, and as meganpillow said above, you can get some great deals if you're a student

Comment

There are also plenty of hostels out there where you can stay in-state, or as an adult. It's not just for students or overseas travelers.

I've stayed at plenty of hostels, but in the US and abroad. I always enjoy the social atmosphere they provide, especially when I'm traveling alone. You never know what kind of interesting people you might meet! As long as you're comfortable sleeping in a room with other people, there's nothing to worry about. Many hostels also offer private rooms for a few extra bucks.

The only downside of using a hostel to visit your SO is the lack of privacy...but that problem can also be solved with a little creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by meganpillow View Post
              Oh yes I have heard of these! My SO and I will be staying in hostels when we travel together this summer. Also most hostels are for STUDENTS, not just travelers on a travelers visa. So if you flash your college ID you can get in. A lot of them offer free food, airport transportation, discounts on shows, clubs, museums, etc. So I think it is definitely worth it!
              Huh? I've never stayed in or heard of a hostel that was only for students--they mostly cater to the young and poor, yes (), but they would take anybody who paid for a bed.

Comment

Theres also couch surfing. Google it.

A friend of mine's been doin it for a while. The only problem is lack of privacy. But on the plus side you get to meet locals and stay for pretty much free (it is customary to leave them a souveneer or non monatary tip). Its also suprisingly safe from what I hear. Especailly traveling in pairs.

Comment

Working...
                X