Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My boyfriend is coming to visit! Hotel questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boyfriend is coming to visit! Hotel questions!

On June 27th, my boyfriend is making his first visit to where I live!!! We are planning on staying in a hotel together. Although, we have some concerns. I'm only 17, and he's 18. He checked out the hotel room and everything is in his name. We are a little nervous about checking in once we get to the hotel, because we don't want anyone who works there to think anything fishy is going on. Is it possible that we won't be allowed to stay in the same hotel room together because I'm a minor and he's not? It'll be obvious that we're dating.

I'm not sure... have you checked the hotel's policy on minors? I know, for example, that a well-known hotel chain in the UK classes young people under the age of 16 as minors. Does the hotel you'll be staying at ask for ID? What I would do is call them - just to make a general enquiry, you don't have to leave your name - and find out where you would stand in your situation. You wouldn't be losing anything; it's much better to know your position for certain in advance to save yourselves from a possible nasty surprise if you wait until you get there. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you! I'm not sure if the hotel will ask for ID from me since I'm not paying for the room, I'm just staying with him. But I'll be sure to call. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

When I tried to book a hotel when I was 18 they told me over the phone everything was fine. Then when we got there they said someone had to be 21. Have him call again and triple check and get the name of the person he talks to. If all else fails, get one of your parents to check in for you.

Comment

Aside from the logistical stuff that others already mentioned, I don't think the hotel staff will really care about your age if everything is squared away with your SO being old enough to book a room. Age of consent laws really only come into play with disgruntled parents and very large, obviously inappropriate age differences (say, if your SO was 30 instead of 18 ). You're also not crossing state lines. I wouldn't worry much in that regard.

Comment

Well, he's called a couple times, and both times the hotel said that they accept 18 year olds. But their terms & conditions say that you have to be atleast 21... what should we do about that?

Comment

When I went to a hotel in Riga with my 17 year old GF, I had no problems. She didn't have to show any ID at any point as the booking was in my name and not hers. But I don't know how it works in the US.

And when I went to a hotel with friends after HS (with 17 year old friends), we only needed one of the 18 year olds to check in.

Comment

If multiple people have said 18 is okay then I would trust them, the terms and conditions may be outdated, if it is really bothering you call again and ask to speak to the manager directly and ask them if it's okay, if it turns into a problem when you get there I'm sure if worse comes to worst the hotel can point you to another hotel that allows 18 year olds to check in.

another thing, if you and your SO are only a year apart (depending on the state) it isn't considered to be breaking the law so when you go to check in just try to tone down the PDA or whatever it will set their minds at ease besides no one is going to ask for your ID and they'll probably assume you're 18 yourself. Trust me I know that from experience :P, most hotel staff don't get involved with stuff like that unless it's obvious like you're 12 and your SO is 30 or if you look like the kind of people that totally destroy hotel rooms. Just be act appropriately and be nice.

Notes:
                Met: 8.17.09
                Started Dating: 8.20.09
                First Met: 10.2.10
                Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
                  If multiple people have said 18 is okay then I would trust them, the terms and conditions may be outdated, if it is really bothering you call again and ask to speak to the manager directly and ask them if it's okay, if it turns into a problem when you get there I'm sure if worse comes to worst the hotel can point you to another hotel that allows 18 year olds to check in.

another thing, if you and your SO are only a year apart (depending on the state) it isn't considered to be breaking the law so when you go to check in just try to tone down the PDA or whatever it will set their minds at ease besides no one is going to ask for your ID and they'll probably assume you're 18 yourself. Trust me I know that from experience :P, most hotel staff don't get involved with stuff like that unless it's obvious like you're 12 and your SO is 30 or if you look like the kind of people that totally destroy hotel rooms. Just be act appropriately and be nice.
                  The second half of your response made me laugh. Thank you for that xD I don't think we'll be destroying any hotel rooms :P thank you for the input, that goes to everyone who has replied!

Comment

Working...
                  X