Daughter visiting us in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter visiting us in Canada

I'm in Canada currently visiting my boyfriend. We are bringing my daughter up to visit us for a little while, however it's my understanding that once you recross over to the states you have to be int he states equal to the amount of time that you were in Canada. My boyfriend has said that he would get my daughter for me, however I'm quite confused on the type of document that I would need to provide in order for him to do this. According to about.com, this is what we need:

1. Passport (DONE)
    2. Have the necessary ID for your children ready to present to customs officer. (Will a passport and original Birth Cert suffice?)
    3. Divorced parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. (We both have our divorce papers. Would this be something my boyfriend needs a copy of?
    4. The Canada Border Services Agency suggests identification such as an original birth certificate, baptismal certificate, passport, or immigration document. If none of these are available, get a letter stating that you are the children's parent or guardian from your doctor or lawyer, or from the hospital where the children were born. (My ex husband has her birth certificate.)
    5. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children, including the name and contact information of the parent / guardian (This is my main question. Will both my daughter's father and I need a notarized document stating that he can "collect" my daughter from my ex and bring her over to Canada?
    6. Even if you are not divorced from the child's other parent, bring the other parent's written permission to take the child over the border. Include contact information so border guard can call the other parent if necessary. (Can we include this on the notarized document?)
    7. Adults / Guardians should travel in the same vehicle as their children when arriving at the border. (Should my ex husband try to walk my daughter up to the border and "deliver" her to my boyfriend and I standing there, or should my boyfriend drive into the states? My ex does not have a passport.)

Any help would be great. Thank you so much in advance.

3) I would your BF a copy of the divorce papers anyway. It wouldn't cause harm. But are they asking for the custody documents from court stating the terms towards your daughter?
    5) I believe that it is saying that you and your husband need your own letters, both stating that your boyfriend can supervise/pick up your daughter.
    6) I would play it safe and put it on separate documents.
    7) I THINK that you might need to go along when you drop your daughter off. And I would assume that you wait at the Canadian side of the border and your ex-husband would wait at the American side. Your daughter would logically walk across the border (maybe with a customs officer)

I am not an expert. This is just how I interpret the questions.

Comment

Working...
    X