Advice on travelling to the American West Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oneaussieboy View Post
    My best advice on flights: go to a travel agent.
    I was iffy about this at first as well because I assumed they'd charge a fee for their services but it turned out to be quite a lot cheaper ($400AUD and I got insurance as well) than anything I found online and they actually pointed out that the flights the online thing picked for me wouldn't have worked anyway. Also they won't charge you anything unless you actually book flights through them so it can't hurt to go and get their price before you book anything regardless.

And yeah for entry go with visa waiver program. Make sure you go to the actual US government site though. There are a lot of third party sites offering "faster approval times" but it's all lies. As long as you have no criminal convictions or communicable diseases or anything you should get instant approval anyway. I can't link but if you google USA visa waiver program you should find it. The right one costs exactly $14.

Good luck
    Yeah I figure it would be a good idea to bounce around the local travel agents, have mostly been looking online so far, and although its not as bad as first thought, its still a big sack of money id have to depart with! You managed tickets to America for under £300? (I converted it ). That is crazy, I havent found much under £600 for a return to Portland from London. Were those tickets the return price?

As for the ESTA approval, I should be fine. Im a good boy who has a glass of milk before bedtime every night (not really lol) so they shouldn't have any reason to reject it.

Thanks, i'll definitely have to check out and see what the in-shop agents say.
    Originally posted by SoFarAway View Post
    I think moon actually posted the correct website for ESTA already in her post. It shouldn't cost more than $14 US! If it does, you ended up on a scam site that will file your ESTA, but charges hidden fees.

An advice when you go through immigration. The officer will ask you a couple of questions. This is really important: do NOT tell the officer that you are visiting your LD girlfriend!!! You visit the US for vacation and are traveling by yourself. You also have to provide an address of where you stay. I wouldn't use your SOs address either, but a simple hotel address should be good enough.
    Yeah I'd been warned about doing that, long as I say im there on vacation or for pleasure it should be alright apparently . As long as I can take some form of proof that I plan to return on the date my return ticket would say, I should be ok hopefully.

I figured it would be alright to use that address and just say I was staying with friends? Would they make a beeline at checking that I had infact booked into that hotel? Otherwise I'll just use the nearest hotel address to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishMan View Post
      I figured it would be alright to use that address and just say I was staying with friends? Would they make a beeline at checking that I had infact booked into that hotel? Otherwise I'll just use the nearest hotel address to be sure.
      No, they don't have the time to check the address of everyone coming into the US. The address is more a contact information for cases when you mess up like not leaving the country in time, committing a crime, etc. so, I would suggest your nearest hotel idea. You also have to put down a phone number. Just put your girlfriend's number down so they can actually reach you IF it is necessary. Like you messing up, but I know you won't

EDIT: I almost forgot. ESTA is a formality. You fill out the form online and after you paid the 14 bucks they tell you that everything is fine. "It's all about the money money monnneeey..."
      Last edited by SoFarAway; September 27, 2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoFarAway View Post
        No, they don't have the time to check the address of everyone coming into the US. The address is more a contact information for cases when you mess up like not leaving the country in time, committing a crime, etc. so, I would suggest your nearest hotel idea. You also have to put down a phone number. Just put your girlfriend's number down so they can actually reach you IF it is necessary. Like you messing up, but I know you won't

EDIT: I almost forgot. ESTA is a formality. You fill out the form online and after you paid the 14 bucks they tell you that everything is fine. "It's all about the money money monnneeey..."
        Ah gotcha. Yeah im a good boy, they'll be wasting their time by making sure im not breaking the law .

Yeah, at least with the ESTA, $14 bucks actually works out as less in pounds :P. Which helps considering these plane ticket prices!

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishMan View Post
          Yeah, at least with the ESTA, $14 bucks actually works out as less in pounds :P. Which helps considering these plane ticket prices!
          and it is valid for two years

Comment

Working...
          X