Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking food in my suitcase?

Hey guys little question?
    Can I take dried food in my suitcase (not my carry on bag) when I'm going to visit my SO (USA)? I'm thinking about taking things he misses from UK -crisps, snacks, chocolate etc?
    AND I KNOW THIS MAY SOUND CRAZY BUT I'M NOT TOO SURE..................
    Do I need to tell the customs folk when they ask what's in my suitcase?

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
    Second visit scheduled May 2013
    Ended relationship August 2013

If it is processed packaged food it is fine. No fruits or veg or leafy things.

Comment

Nothing alive or anything dealing with animals (meat, milk, cheeses, etc).

Comment

Be sure to make a customs declaration letting them know you have foodstuffs in your suitcase. Specifically list whatever it is you're taking (eg, chocolate, candy, rice crackers). Also check with both yours and his customs regulations to make sure you're not taking in any prohibited items.

Comment

For the US, as long as it's not fruit/veggies/meat, you're fine. Even certain cheeses are okay! Here is the official list of what is permitted. And I personally wouldn't put it on my customs form if it's just packaged food, that just causes more hassle.

Comment

They will give you a wee card to fill out on the plane...... do you have any meat, fruit etc?...... as long as you are saying no to everything on the list as other posters mentioned you don't need to mention it.Personally because I'm super paranoid about things like this I don't take food...... (blackcurrant is banned in Minnesota for example) and I always worry I will cause a problem with something. I just send "candy" via amazon. I do take British newspapers and Asda tshirts with funny things written on them.

Comment

If it's chips/chocolate etc you will be fine. I never have a problem coming back in to Australia, and I've been told our customs are a lot more nitpicky than the Americans.

Comment

thanks for the advice folks, I was not going to bother as I didnt want any hassle at customs but I reckon it will be ok

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
                Second visit scheduled May 2013
                Ended relationship August 2013

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                  And I personally wouldn't put it on my customs form if it's just packaged food, that just causes more hassle.
                  I agree with this. I always have food in my bag and occasionally small amounts of alcohol. I always tell them I don't have anything because they want to know if you're bringing a lot to sell. If I just have a bottle as a gift or some food for snacks, then I don't even mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    I agree with this. I always have food in my bag and occasionally small amounts of alcohol. I always tell them I don't have anything because they want to know if you're bringing a lot to sell. If I just have a bottle as a gift or some food for snacks, then I don't even mention it.
                    I agree with mllebamako and lucybelle. I never claim the small amounts of food I bring with me to Finland. It's just not worth the trouble, and I only got kinda caught once, I brought a can of pumpkin to make a pie (impossible to find there and the boy had never had pumpkin pie!), and I looked a bit surprised at the customs officer, and apologized, saying I just didn't think about it. He just smiled, let me keep my stuff and sent me on my way. If it's not a forbidden item, and you don't have much, just look confused and apologize if you get caught.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X