Travelling to Canada from Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling to Canada from Australia?

My boyfriend's coming to visit me in Canada from Australia and we're pretty sure we have everything sorted but he's really worried still and it's making me worried. So I thought I'd ask to reassure ourselves since it's a lot more direct and simple than all the googling I've been doing!

He's got his passport, photo ID, and flight tickets booked and printed (booked back in May). He's bought travel insurance. The government websites say you don't need a visa to visit Canada for a short stay (he's staying for 4 weeks) if you're an Australian citizen. Is he missing anything? Should he bring a birth certificate on top of his ID? (Is an age of majority/over 18 card accurate enough photo ID?) Are there further documents he'll need to present to be allowed into the country? I've read about the questions he'll be asked and I gave him my information and address/phone numbers so he's good there. He has no criminal record or anything of that sort. The only thing he's bringing in his luggage is clothes and video games and video game controllers/handheld consoles (Nintendo 3DS and Game Boy), along with a cell phone (so he can text me until he's out of Australia, as a comfort) and a camera.

One question would be, does he need to print out the confirmation his travel insurance gave him and bring that with him? I haven't seen the documents for that myself so I'm not sure what it says, and he's been really busy so I haven't been able to ask or have him forward me the e-mail.

The main thing I'm wondering about at this moment is I remember reading about needing some proof you had enough money to support yourself while visiting -- does this still count if it's only a 4 week visit without a visa? If it does, how do you prove this? Print out a bank statement? All I've really found is if you're carrying over CAD$10,000 you have to claim it.

Thank you!

I'm Australian, visiting my BF in Canada right now. You don't need a visa and it sounds like you're all good to go! It's good to have a copy of your travel insurance documents on hand (I take mine everywhere I go, folded up in my bag in case I get hit by a bus and need the info haha!). I was never asked to show proof of how much money I had, I think that's only if you're coming on a working visa, but they did ask me about my job (I think to make sure I was gonna go home!)

Comment

Oh that's a big big big relief, thank you! I'm so happy to hear that and it's going to ease his mind a lot.

I hope you're having a great stay here.

Comment

Definitely get your BF to print off his insurance invoice. He will need that in case he has to go to a hospital.

He won't need another form of ID. A passport is as formal and legitimate as you can get. Get him to bring his drivers license (if he has one) anyway.

And I doubt he will need proof of funds, unless the customs officer is in a really foul mood. He is Australian and he is not working.

Comment

Great, thank you! We're all set on that front. He printed it out and organized the papers along with his passport and it's all good to go. The reassurance is very calming. Excited for his arrival!

Comment

Working...
          X