~*~ Anyone had any trouble with Border control ? ~*~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~*~ Anyone had any trouble with Border control ? ~*~

I have just arrived in Detroit from England (via Amsterdam) that evening. There was only about 5 Border control officers and they were taking their merry time.
    I approached smile, said Good Evening and handed over my passport
    Stoney faced gaurd asked my purpose of visiting the US, I said visiting a "friend" I have been told BC do not like the word "Boyfriend"
    He asked me do I know his name (Duh)
    Do I know where he lives (I hope so!)
    Do I know his phone number and If he himself rang him would he confirm my story?
    I said of course and bent down to get his number out my bag and when I stood up he just gave me a filthy look and continued with his questions.
    He asked me what I do for a living I said.."cleaner" he said.."what is that" and I had to explain what it was and that I work school terms so I had 6 weeks off.
    He asked where we met I said POF and he told me thats a singles website, I said that I knew and did i Know that it was a singles website *duh!* and am I sure this guy was not my boyfriend, I said how could I be in a relationship with someone I never met? (blatent lie but he doesnt need to know that)
    He eyed me up for a minute and considered me, he then asked If I had paid for my own ticket, I confirmed I had. He considered me a little longer then stamped me through, as I was picking up my bags he said he had alot of "my type" come through, I thought, how very rude!

I stayed in America for 4 weeks, came back to England and will be flying out in 6 weeks time to stay for the holidays (Halloween through to New Years) the ticket is booked but I suddenly have this sinking feeling I will face trouble at border control. I have booked at 84 days so under 90. I visited for 4 weeks but stayed away for nearly 7 before going back. I will be quitting my job to go back to him again and I have a feeling this may raise an eyebrow.

Sorry this is a little long, I am just concerned I will face further problems or bad mooded officers. Anyone else had this problem. He seemed more aggitated by the fact I was able to answer his questions.

It's usually best to stay out of the USA for more than double the time you stayed in. So 6 weeks is cutting it close. No one can guarantee your entry into the USA. It's always up to the border patrol.

I was once not allowed into Costa Rica and was deported to the USA. That's another story for another time though...

Comment

Yeah, when I was visiting the US on greyhound a couple years ago, I got the same rude treatment from the border patrol too. They were eyeing me like a runaway because I didn't have a job at the time and even though I had a return ticket they were like " we need to make sure you are coming back to your own country" Do you have enough money to support yourself etc.( Granted I was going for a 2 month trip ) Apparently they frown upon that. And when I told them that I was visiting someone I met online they just about had a bird. It's like jesus people, I'm an adult, take a fricken chill pill. Apparently meeting people outside your own country is taboo, what do they think the world will explode when we mingle?? All in all, they weren't polite to me, and I didn't feel wanted or welcomed, so that was really angering.

Also the more honest you are the less likely they'll hassle you. I wouldn't advise lying, no matter how much you think they'll judge. They can't really deny you for reasons such as these, so just humor them if they give you problems next time.
      Last edited by Anolinde; September 5, 2012, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I (very very ambitiously) booked a trip for 90 days (exactly), within the Schengen Zone. I should be ok, but I might book a weekend trip to the UK to take a couple of days off it.

(Completely off-topic, I KNOW!)

Comment

The immigration officers are trained to see when people are lying and I could imagine telling him you met you guy on a dating website didn't help much. It probably made you even more suspicious.
          I'd be honest about it. I've always been honest about visiting my boyfriend and once I got quite a few questions but never any rudeness or really big trouble. I've been to the US four times now within one year.

Comment

That is very comforting to know Kiyama

Comment

Working...
            X