First time flying, and internationally from UK - Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time flying, and internationally from UK - Florida

Soo, I'm meeting my SO in February for the first time. Planning it out now (over the following few weeks) and I'm just looking for advice. Perhaps from people who have previously travelled from England to Florida. However any advice is good advice, I am clueless.

I've never flown before, ever. Let alone flown internationally. I'm also going over to Tallahassee alone, and so naturally I'm concerned.
    My main concerns are what I need, where I need to go, what I can/can't bring. After searching all over, I've figured the main things I need are plane tickets and an ESTA visa and passport. Tickets I'll buy soon as possible, I dont want to leave it too long and miss good deals/seats. ESTA, as I understand it, is to be sorted out a few weeks before you are due to fly? Of course when you know the dates you're going too. I don't know the definite date yet, as my SO is an in-line speed skater, and thus has a hectic time with training and school, so she needs to check her schedule.

I've never been on a plane before. Can you request window seats when booking tickets? I have read you can bring a carry-on, what can you put in it? Are you allowed to carry on deodrant, or drinks, or moisturiser etc. The tickets I've been looking at have me fly from England to Newark, which I believe is near/in New Jersey? And then into Florida. What will happen when I touch down in Newark? Will they put my suitcase onto the next plane, or do I have to collect it at all? (I am visiting my local airport next week, so I may actually ask them these questions, if it is an airline-specific guideline)

What about when I land in Florida, where are toilets generally in an airport? I'd of course like to freshen up before meeting her Especially since the flight will be about 12 hours altogether.

As for when I am in Florida, we'll be staying at a hotel, as her house is actually at the family business, and we don't really want to be under her parents feet the whole time. I've never stayed in a hotel, haha. Do they allow you to wash clothes there, or would I find a laundromat or something?

How about money? My bank in England is Lloydstsb, would I be able to use my debit card in Florida? Also do sockets use 3 prong like England, or are they 2 prong? Need to know for my phone charger. x_x

I know I am overthinking this. My girl tells me constantly. However, given I've never done any of this before, you may understand why I want everything to go smoothly. I'd hate to forget something I need or take something I shouldnt, and be turned away. It's an expensive enough trip as it is. Just trying to stop it stressing me out currently, as that would be silly to allow myself to get overwhelmed. There aren't really any people I can ask offline, as my family have never flown abroad, neither have my friends.
    If you actually read all this, kudos. Took me ages to type out as I kept thinking of new things I had to ask. ._.

ESTA, as I understand it, is to be sorted out a few weeks before you are due to fly? You don't need to get any visa to visit the states, I'm pretty sure you can just show up and they'll let you in on a tourist visa.

Can you request window seats when booking tickets? I Yes
    have read you can bring a carry-on, what can you put in it? No liquids over 100mls or weapons. Look on the airlines website it will all be there for you to read about.
    The tickets I've been looking at have me fly from England to Newark, which I believe is near/in New Jersey? And then into Florida. What will happen when I touch down in Newark? Will they put my suitcase onto the next plane, or do I have to collect it at all? You don't need to visit your airport, just look online for questions. They will transfer your bags for you from each plane, when you land in Newark just ask someone if you are unsure but there are boards that will show you which gate to go to

What about when I land in Florida, where are toilets generally in an airport? There are no toilets in the airport because terrorists can hide bombs in the toilets.

Do they allow you to wash clothes there, or would I find a laundromat or something? Depends on the hotel, some have dry cleaning services and washers and dryers, some have none.

How about money? My bank in England is Lloydstsb, would I be able to use my debit card in Florida? You can use your card, it will cost you about £5 to take out money from a cash point

Also do sockets use 3 prong like England, or are they 2 prong? Its a completely different plug, its two sometimes three prong. Look for a standard North America plug

Don't worry about it so much!

Comment

*You need to enrol in the Visa Waiver Program. A few people on here can help you out with that.

*As snow_girl said, you can only bring liquids up to 100mL in your carry-on luggage. They also need to be in a 1L clear plastic bag. I'm not sure about the UK, but you can't take any bottles of water ouf Australia. You should be able to get water on the plane for free (feel free to check this with your airline, non-budget airlines usually offer non-alcoholic drinks for free at the minimum)

*I can't speak for the US, but European/Australian airports have bathrooms. It wouldn't surprise me if American airports don't have toilets though for a fear of bomb threats.

*I would check with the hotel about cleaning services. The ones that I have stayed in DON'T have them.

*Check with your bank in regards to using your card overseas. If it's a Visa card, you can definitely use it abroad but get in contact with your bank in case you need to do any formalties to use the card overseas. (Some may require you to call them or go into a branch)

*Definitely a different plug. You can get an adaptor from England before you go to the US, they are available everywhere.

I understand the anxiety! I was the same before I flew internationally on my own. You'll be fine! Enjoy the experience.

Comment

I can't speak for the VWP and ESTA stuff, since I have no experience with them and I'm not from the UK, but I can certainly tell you about flying internationally!

I'm hoping you have a passport already... if not, get on it! You should make sure you have it well before your trip, especially since you need a passport number to book an international flight.

Usually, when you book your tickets, you are just "reserving" a seat until you actually check in with your flight, which normally takes place up to 24 hours before your flight leaves. You can do this in the airport, but I'd recommend doing it online the night before your flight leaves, as it is much easier and far less confusing. When you check in, you will usually (not always-- depends on the airline) be shown a seat you have been assigned along with an option to change your seat, at which time you can choose a different seat if you don't like the one you are in. It's first come first serve, so you might be out of luck requesting a window or aisle seat if you wait too long. Even though you've checked in online (and will be given boarding passes to print), you will still have to check in at the counter with your airline, as you will need to check your bag.

For your carry on, you can bring deodorant, as long as it's the stick kind and not the spray kind. You can bring drinks that you buy AFTER you go through security, but I'd recommend just finishing everything before you get on the plane. You can bring snacks-- food is generally fine. Moisturizer might not go over so well unless it's a very small bottle (like under 3 ounces), since there is a restriction on the amount of liquids you can bring on the plane (except, apparently, for liquids you give them money for). You can also bring a book and a small head pillow or something to keep you entertained, like a portable gaming system or music player. If you are bringing a laptop, I would also put it in your carry on, but you will have to take it out of the bag when you go through security. Don't bring scissors or any type of blade-- they did change the rule to scissors with shorter than a 4" blade are allowed, and I had brought a tiny pair of sewing scissors with me, but on my way back to the states, they confiscated it. ):<

Newark is in New Jersey (not that it matters-- you won't be leaving the airport!). When you land, you will come out of the plane looking dazed and confused and just follow everyone to border control. You should have your passport and connecting flight ticket handy and look for signs that say "connecting flights." I THINK-- don't take my word on this-- you will actually have to collect your baggage and then re-check it, since it is your first entry into the US. Definitely check on this one, though, because it might not apply to your flight, since when I did it I was switching from one international flight to a different domestic flight.

Toilets are usually very clearly marked in every airport-- just look up at the signs and follow them to the restrooms. There should definitely be some in the airport after you collect your luggage. There are also bathrooms on the plane, but they are very small.

In my experience, some hotels do and some hotels do not offer places for you to do your laundry. You may want to check with the hotel you are booking with-- if they do not offer washing services or a place to wash your clothes, they will definitely be able to tell you where you can. You might also consider just washing your clothes in the sink (although I hate the feeling of air-dried clothing).

For your bank, call your bank up and ask them directly. If your debit card is a Visa debit card, you will very likely be able to use it in the US, but you should ask your bank about any charges that may be associated with doing so, since it is a different currency and different country.

We use type B electrical outlets here: https://electricaloutlet.org/type-b (click for image and description) You can usually buy an adapter for fairly cheap online somewhere or in the travel goods section of some stores. I don't know what voltage you use in the UK, though, so you might also need a transformer, depending on what you are plugging in. Look at the information on your charger-- if it says it's rated for 120-240 V or something, you're fine, but if not (which is usually only the case for things that do not charge), see if you can get a small UK-US transformer.

I don't think you're overthinking-- I think you're being prepared! These are all logical questions and it's good you're thinking ahead.

ETA: I just wanted to add that you actually aren't supposed to bring drinks you buy in the airport on the plane, but they have never once stopped me from doing so. :P
        Last edited by kittyo9; November 2, 2012, 06:53 PM.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Hi, as others have said before, don't worry, you'll be fine. Just want to point out - when you book the connection flight from Newark, make sure you have enough time in between. The queues going through the entry check can be crazy. And yes, when I have been flying into the US I have had to pick up my luggage and after that go through the entry line. I'd say 3 hours would be good to have in between flights. You know, flights can be delayed as well...
          In my experience there are different lines at the entry check, one for people with final destination Newark and others for people like you entering the US but transfering to other flights.
          I found this web site with a bit more info about ESTA etc.
          https://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and...ryRequirements

About booking seats: Depends on what you want, it's nice with a window seat as you can see more at take off and landing, but it's a fairly long flight, 6-7 hours ??. So can be nice to be able to easily get into the aisle for a walk to stretch your legs, to the bath room or so. Seats are quite small (if you're not booking in business class )

Being prepared as a good thing to make you feel more comfortable, so you're well on your way to a nice experience.

Comment

You will need an ESTA!!
            The latest date to request it is 72 hours before your plane takes off and you will also have to pay 14 USD for it. They only accept credit cards on the website to pay for it. But you don't necessarily need one yourself, you can also use the credit card of a family member/friend I used my dad's... of course I asked him first *lol*
            A few minutes after you request it they will tell you if your request was approved or not. If you are approved everything is fine If you don't get approved you will have to request a tourist visa at the American consulate in your country!!

Comment

Lol. I like how a few of you say I'm overthinking it/worrying. Must be true then. :o

A lot of advice here, answering all the questions I had, which is great!

Turns out now, we're talking about postponing it, until October. She's an inline speed skater, and needs to practice everyday, and even goes out of the city to practice on weekends. I was ok with this, as I'd get her to myself Mondays, and from midday onwards on Tuesday-Friday. However, in October she takes a break for a month, so we're deciding whether to postpone it and go in October where we can have everyday all day to ourselves. It makes sense. More money, more time to plan, more time together. However it raises more issues. How does one wait so long? With contact only being through a computer.

I'm new to the whole long distance thing, but surely waiting a year is a long time?

Either way, I'll start preparing now, especially so with the adapter, which is for my Phone, shaver and MP3 btw. So Small stuff.
              It'll be nice to wake up everyday and see them, reminding myself I'll be seeing her soon. Even if soon does happen to be 11 months away.

Comment

You haven't met her yet, so it's much more manageable. It would be a tough struggle to wait 11 months if you do had have already met.

It's one of the best feelings in the world to meet your SO, but my goly is the distance apart after that painful.

Comment

Don't even remind me of that. It often creeps up at me that if it kills me waiting before I've met her yet, how the hell will I cope after I have met her and have to leave and go back to how it is now. Pretty much the thing that keeps me sane right now is thinking, she has to do the same too. If she can cope with it, I should be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by fishto View Post
                    Don't even remind me of that. It often creeps up at me that if it kills me waiting before I've met her yet, how the hell will I cope after I have met her and have to leave and go back to how it is now. Pretty much the thing that keeps me sane right now is thinking, she has to do the same too. If she can cope with it, I should be able to.
                    (My English is dreadful)

And don't worry about that yet! You two can keep each other strong, plus you have us! And why not look into sending (or even buying) gifts for each other! Christmas is coming up

Comment

Originally posted by fishto View Post
                      Turns out now, we're talking about postponing it, until October. She's an inline speed skater, and needs to practice everyday, and even goes out of the city to practice on weekends. I was ok with this, as I'd get her to myself Mondays, and from midday onwards on Tuesday-Friday. However, in October she takes a break for a month, so we're deciding whether to postpone it and go in October where we can have everyday all day to ourselves. It makes sense. More money, more time to plan, more time together. However it raises more issues. How does one wait so long? With contact only being through a computer.

I'm new to the whole long distance thing, but surely waiting a year is a long time?

Either way, I'll start preparing now, especially so with the adapter, which is for my Phone, shaver and MP3 btw. So Small stuff.
                      It'll be nice to wake up everyday and see them, reminding myself I'll be seeing her soon. Even if soon does happen to be 11 months away.
                      I did it for two years. :P And, now that we've met, it'll be another year since we met until I see him again. It's hard, but it's doable. Just be patient and remember why you're in this relationship to begin with. Do things with your SO online, like playing games, keeping a blog, or just skyping together. Planning your trip out with your SO can be very fun and positive, and once you have tickets booked, it's so exciting to look forward to. It sounds like postponing to October would make A LOT of sense, financially and personally, so if it were me, I would definitely do that.
                      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
                      X