Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the States - Tuesday!

Hi all :-)

I'm flying to see my SO on Tuesday, to spend Thanksgiving with her (my first one, can't wait, no idea what to expect really!)

I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on US border these days? The last time I flew was prior to 9/11 and I was a minor, so didn't even really pay any attention. Just some questions:
    • Do I need to prove financially how I'll survive for 2 weeks?
    • Is it perfectly fine to be brutally honest about visiting my girlfriend/staying at her address?
    • Are they likely to want any other forms of ID other than my passport?

Sorry, just slightly concerned having watched (in horror!) the process a colleague of mine had to go through when trying to get through UK border - I felt like I was watching a police interrogation!

Many thanks,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

First of all - have you got your ESTA authorisation set up? If not, you need to get it done ASAP - it cost about $14 last time I did it. It's required for visa-free travel from the UK to the US, and you just need a few basic details like your passport number. You will be turned away without it! I'm not allowed to post a link for some reason, because my account is too new, but if you just Google ESTA it's the first (non-sponsored) link that appears, the one ending in .gov. Don't visit any sites that aren't .gov, they're just middlemen trying to make a few bucks off travellers.

I've travelled between Manchester and Chicago several times over the past few years and never been asked for anything over and above my passport. I did take bank statements and things the first couple of times, to prove I had money in my account, but I was never asked for them and stopped bothering after a while. You will be given a simple blue form either at your UK airport or on the plane, where you fill in details of what (money and goods) you're going to take in and bring out of the US - it's dead simple.

When you get to the passport control desk in the US, I'd advise against saying 'girlfriend.' Say you're staying with a friend, and give her address. This is what I did each time, and never had any trouble. They don't actually seem to make any note of the address - I think it's just a question to prove that you're not going to just wander off into the US.

They have a lot of details already on file through ESTA and the airline - so they can check you have a return ticket, and so on, electronically.

One thing I would watch, and I think I've posted about this before, is the attitude of the immigration staff. I don't know where you're flying, but the ones in Chicago are invariably miserable and rude. As tempting as it is to give as good as you get, it's better to take a stance of deference towards them, answer them quickly, and get through as painlessly as possible. The routine questions I was always asked when entering were - purpose of visit, address of accommodation, return date, and I was once (for some reason) asked my town of birth, and on another occasion I was asked where we met.

If you have any more questions, feel free to quiz me! And most of all - have fun in an amazing country with your girlfriend! It's a blast.
    Last edited by radioandy; November 16, 2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

•Do I need to prove financially how I'll survive for 2 weeks?

No you don't have to prove to the border staff that you can financially support yourself during your two week visit. I was never asked this question & I have flown to the states 12 times now. I'm not saying they won't ask you but if they do just tell them yes.

•Is it perfectly fine to be brutally honest about visiting my girlfriend/staying at her address?

I wouldn't suggest telling them your visiting your girlfriend, if they ask who it is your visiting just say a friend. Saying your girlfriend might bring you more questioning, so what's the point?

•Are they likely to want any other forms of ID other than my passport?

Your passport will be enough, you don't need to carry any other ID. Although I always carry my driving licence but that's because I usually drive once there.I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time.....

@ Radioandy, what is it about the immigration staff at Chicago? I've flown into O'Hare three times and every time they have been rude and ignorant.

Started Writing - February 2010
      First Visit - September 2010
      Second Visit - June 2011
      Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
      Our Wedding Day - April 2012
      Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
      NOA1 - July 2012
      NOA2 - December 2012
      Fourth Visit - December 2012
      Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

I love this place - every reply is always so helpful and detailed! Thanks guys

Yes, I have the ESTA authorization - I did that before I actually booked the trip! That's great to hear, so I don't have to worry about bringing a shed-load of paperwork with me (bank statements, employment contract etc..)? I think I've just watched/heard too much about immigration fraud, and having watched a colleague basically get the third degree when trying to enter the UK (he's from the US, was even asked to produce a tenancy agreement!) I was somewhat alarmed I would receive the same treatment in the US.

No problems, I'll just say "friend" and only clarify if asked the specific type of friend. I'm actually flying into Atlanta, Georgia and then onwards to Fort Worth, Texas. No idea what they are like in Atlanta, but they have a brand new international terminal which looks fairly pleasant.

So basically, I just need to bring my passport, and have some cash in pocket as well as in the bank?

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by NathanS View Post
          No problems, I'll just say "friend" and only clarify if asked the specific type of friend. I'm actually flying into Atlanta, Georgia and then onwards to Fort Worth, Texas. No idea what they are like in Atlanta, but they have a brand new international terminal which looks fairly pleasant.
          I've flown many times into ATL. I guess it might be different since I'm a US cit, but it always seemed like an easy entry point.

Comment

I agree that ATL is a very easy port of entry. I had a dog attacked my carry on cuz i took the fruit pie off the plane lol but other than that it was good. This time im going in at JFK so it should be interesting

Comment

I have heard good things about ATL. Whether you say friend or girlfriend, you should be fine, though the general consensus here is to say "friend." The only time I've said friends was when I took a two month trip. For two weeks, however, you likely won't have to show more than your passport and return ticket. It's not a long enough trip for them to hassle you over. You'll need more proof when it comes to two and three month trips, or at least from my experience and the experience of friends, so you should be good. Enjoy your trip!

Comment

When customs asked me what I was up to in the US, I just told them I was visiting my boyfriend. The guy asked me, just out of interest, where he lived in TX. That's all. He was very friendly (: You won't get in trouble and I don't think they'll question you if you tell them you're visiting your girlfriend.

Comment

This is very reassuring to read!

Thanks for all the replies, it's now 24 hours until I leave and I am absolutely freaking out - but this has made it a whole lot easier!

Comment

Working...
                  X