Travelling by greyhound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelling by greyhound?

I'm (hopefully) going to visit my SO again in a few months, however, this time I will most likely be taking a greyhound bus to get there. This adds to the travel time a bit (it adds roughly 10 hours) but it seems to be cheaper and I don't have to try to find someone willing to travel with me this way. I've been looking into ticket prices, schedules, and such and most of the listings have at least 1-2 transfers. I've never taken a bus anywhere before so I also want to do this for the experience as well as the financial aspect.

Does anyone have any experience using a greyhound for trips (my trip is just roughly 350-400 miles)? What can you take with with you? Any advice on taking a bus on a trip like this? Any input that you can give at all would really be appreciated because I'm just now starting to look into this and really have no idea about how the experience is, how it works, or anything at the moment. Thanks a bunch guys. ~ <33

Edit: I'm also kinda nervous about boarding the wrong bus or missing my bus or something, but I guess that just takes paying close attention to the time and things around me. XD
    Oh! I don't know if this info is needed or not but the trip will be from London, KY to Fayetteville, NC.

Edit again: I just looked again and found one that takes roughly 14 hours, so that's about 5 hours extra instead of 10 like the other listing.
    Last edited by XxFranticLovexX; November 25, 2012, 09:16 PM.
    "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
    This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
    Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

There is a couple threads about taking greyhound if you look around. It's just like taking a plane but on the ground, take stuff to keep you busy. When you transfer you do just as you would at an airport but at a bus depot.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      There is a couple threads about taking greyhound if you look around. It's just like taking a plane but on the ground, take stuff to keep you busy. When you transfer you do just as you would at an airport but at a bus depot.
      I've been reading them but I wanted to see if anyone has done so recently and has input on it. Thank you though. ^_^;
      "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."

Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I took it when I went to go see my SO in June. Its not bad at all as long as you take lots of distractions for yourself. Taking the right bus, being there on time and not forgetting your stuff is just like on a plane. You have to just be very attentive. Also, if there are any breaks or you've been going for too long, you should definitely stand and go to the bathroom or anything because you don't wanna sit too long =/. All the greyhound buses I've been in have been very clean and comfortable and even had places to plug in my phone and computer though the wifi didn't work ever. You can take pretty much the same things you can on a plane except of course you can also take liquids and such. You should check on your ticket but I've never had anyone check my bag anyway and I traveled with huge tequila bottles lol.
        I think thats pretty much what I got. Main thing is walk around so you don't get a clot (so serious lol), thats my advice.

Comment

I've only really taken them for short trips, although I did spend about 7 hours on a megabus going to Boston. That was an overnight bus though so I slept most of the journey. Seems like most of your questions have been answered, but yeah, take stuff to do. Some buses have Wifi and plugs for laptops, but not all, so don't count on it. If you're planning on sleeping, take a sleep mask or something to block out the light. Also, I only ever took a backpack so I cant comment on the luggage requirements but I believe they have a weight and size policy, basically it will make your life a lot easier the lighter you travel.

Finally, I would try and get there at least between 30 and 45 mins in advance to make sure you get a good seat. The tickets suggest an hour, but the depot I used to leave from never got that busy so I found an hour in advance was a bit of overkill.

Don't forget to pack snack and plenty to drink because there's not the option to buy food like on a plane :P Also, dress appropriately and take an extra sweater in case you get cold (which was the problem I used to have because they blasted the AC for like the entire time, and I'm pretty sensitive to stuff like that - but I did travel in summer so maybe in winter they have a different AC policy?).

If you're worried about getting the wrong bus, just ask someone!
          Last edited by Hololz; November 26, 2012, 10:03 AM.
          Si tu n'etais pas la
          Comment pourrais-je vivre
          Je ne connaitrais pas
          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
          Quand je suis dans tes bras
          Mon coeur joyeux se livre
          Comment pourrais-je vivre
          Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
          Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

Does anyone have any experience using a greyhound for trips (my trip is just roughly 350-400 miles)? What can you take with with you? Any advice on taking a bus on a trip like this?

I'm also kinda nervous about boarding the wrong bus or missing my bus or something, but I guess that just takes paying close attention to the time and things around me. XD

I've taken Greyhound many times, as has my SO. You can pretty much take a suitcase/ duffel bag and a carry on. They can put your suitcase under the bus and then you can have your carry on with books, your iPod, etc. to keep you busy during the ride. My best advice is to ask questions of the people that work there if you get nervous. I have really bad anxiety, especially when I'm traveling alone, so I'd always ask someone to make sure I was getting on the right bus, and where the gate for my bus was... It's not as bad as it seems... the worst part is when there are long layovers between buses.

Good luck!

sigpic

Comment

I frequently take the greyhound! Here are my tips:

1. Pack lightly. Nothing is worse than being horribly uncomfortable on a packed bus. Have a walk on bag (filled with snacks, water, entertainment items, maybe a blanket and pillow, your ticket, and any other stuff)
              2. Make sure to print your ticket early!
              3. When getting to the terminals, ask lots of questions about when the next bus leaves and stay on track. They are not to clear sometimes about lining up to get on and stuff. It tends to get disorganized quickly.
              4. Bring your own food... the food there is really expensive.
              5. Bring a list of backup phone numbers for local taxis, hotels, etc. just in case you need it. Being overprepared is better then underprepared
              6. Greyhound tends to be sketchy in places, so hide valuables and if you sleep, tie your bag to your leg. Weird, but helpful.
              7. Get to the station early, check in your bag, and try to be first in line to get on. Sometimes they have too many people and you have to wait for the next bus (ugh)
              8. Wear comfortable clothes, and nothing too showy. The greyhound like I said earlier can be sketchy, and you don't want to bring too much attention
              9. A lot of things are not allowed on the bus (weapons, alcohol, drugs etc) and I would check online beforehand so you don't get kicked off the bus.
              10. Have a safe trip!!! :3
              Love knows not distance, time, or logic.

Evan & Megan <3

Comment

One piece of advice to add on to what others have said:
                When I took greyhound to see my SO, we stopped at a McDonald's? I think? and two women who had been sitting in front of me took too long. The bus literally left them behind. I didn't think anyone would do that kind of thing, but boy was I wrong! That driver just left them! If the driver says we'll be here for 10 minutes, make sure to be checking the time. Otherwise, greyhound isn't as bad as it seems. Just take a book or ipod or something to keep you busy. The drive will go by faster that way. I love taking buses to see my SO. I started taking the megabus though. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than even greyhound is.

Comment

Personally, my SO and I had a pretty bad experience with greyhound. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt because it was around the holidays and everyone was kind of stressed out and trying to get to where they were going, but the best advice I can give is look out for your own stuff, watch your bags and make sure they get on and off the right buses, and being friendly with the staff will make it a lot easier to figure things out. They were all pretty grumpy for having to deal with rude people all day so we tried to give them a breath of fresh air and after a little while people started acting friendlier but yeah.

Comment

Update:

I can't edit the first post but I don't want to make a new thread for the same topic so..

Do any of you know, roughly, the size a carry on bag should be? Also, the sizes for the other luggage bag(s)? All I can find when searching for it is weight limits and not actual dimensions. I'm going to go buy my bags and stuff sometime this week and I just fail at google or something. OTL

My idea was to use something about the size of a backpack and a small/medium gym bag but I don't know if they fit size restrictions or not.

Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Anyone know? I am going to get the bag tomorrow and I keep finding two different thing.. 22x21x14 and 22x14x9 and I don't know which is accurate. I can't find the dimensions on the actual greyhound website. Dx

Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

You could call and ask.

Comment

via Greyhound Site>>>

At Greyhound, passengers are responsible for transferring their own bags. Baggage assistance is available upon request. Special handling ID tags are available for customers that need help with their luggage, such as elderly passengers, customers with disabilities or adults traveling with small children.

Be sure that all checked bags have a claim check AND an identification tag. You must get both of these at the ticket counter prior to boarding. Please make sure your bags are properly tagged inside and out.

Take your baggage to the bus and give it to the baggage handler who will load the baggage underneath the bus. You are in charge of picking up your bags next to the bus at each transfer location and taking them to your connecting bus.

Greyhound baggage restrictions:

One (1) piece of baggage is checked free of charge for adults and children. One (1) additional piece of baggage may be checked for a charge of $15 for adults only. Baggage carried beyond two (2) pieces will be charged based on Greyhound Package Express rates. One (1) small bag up to 25 pounds can be taken on board for each adult or child. Carry-on bags must fit in the overhead compartment or under your seat.
                          The maximum allowable weight for checked baggage is 50 pounds per individual piece of baggage. A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be charged for any baggage above the 50 pound limit.
                          Baggage must not exceed 62 inches when adding the total exterior dimensions of the piece (length + width + height). A charge of $30 - $40 (depending on the distance traveled) will be applied to any baggage above the 62-inch limit.
                          Packaging exceptions will only be made for the following items: bicycles, skis and ski poles must be packed in wood, canvas or other substantial container, and securely fastened; towing equipment must be enclosed in rigid containers or wrapped in a strong material such as canvas and securely strapped or tied. Towing equipment is limited to 100 pounds actual weight. These items are not exempt from oversize charges.
                          If bags exceed maximum size and/or weight, customers must ship the item via Greyhound Package Express.
                          Acceptable Types of Baggage

In general, acceptable baggage includes suitcases, duffel bags, toolboxes, trunks and securely tied cardboard boxes. A plastic and/or a paper bag is not acceptable as checked baggage. Shipping containers are available for a nominal fee at many terminals.

Comment

not sure if you already took you trip or not but i visited my so back in sept. of last year from NC to KS by greyhound.

I was allowed 2 carry on's smaller bags of course with stuff like ipads/kindles, cell phone, purse, mp3 player and such they all have to be on the bus up top. No lighters or anything down below nothin flamable although you can pack shampoos under the bus and stuff like that.

I had 1 regular size luggage bag underneath under 50lbs, and then had a dufflebag underneath jsut know that most grey hound stops you have to get your bags yourself from under the bus. Also make sure to listen clostly to the bus driver as well as the intercoms in the stations its easy to miss a bus if you dont pay attention. I myself dont sleep much on greyhound buses which is why im so dang tired when i get where im goin i doze but thats it and i usually sleep with my hand on my most valuable bag hehe.

Don't trust anyone to watch your stuff and I try not to talk to many people on the bus but occassionally a little chatter with someone isnt bad either. It took me 1 day 5 hours but ur not too bad I actually went through KY cant remember what part though. Most times they will stop at places along the way like stores so you can get food just pay attention again to the bus drivers time period and i try to watch who gets off the bus so when i start seein them go back to the bus i go back to. Anyways if you have any other questions let me know ill try to help.

Comment

Working...
                            X