What to do on long airport layovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do on long airport layovers?

What do ya'll do during long layovers? Most of mine will be around 2 hours but I have one that is overnight for 12 hours! I'll have a book and a puzzle book -- no smartphone to play on -- any good ideas?
    February 2012 -- met online
    August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
    April 2013 -- met in person
    June 2013 -- broke up
    July 2013 -- back together
    August 2013 -- 2nd visit
    October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
    April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Books are always the best to pass time, but I like to look around the shops at airports, kills a good hour, and if you bring a laptop you can watch DVD's/ play games. Also portable DVD players are nice if you don't have a laptop, and they are alot lighter too! I sometimes bring a rubix cube with me to pass time, a notebook to write things/ draw.... thats all I can really think of right now.. maybe some cards to play solitaire

Comment

My layovers usually last about 2 hours so I just read a ton or play my gameboy color. Music is also a good way to pass the time, I find that it helps time go faster. If you don't feel like sitting, I mean long flights plus layovers just to sit on another plane can get tiring so try walking around all the little shops and explore the airport, sometimes you can find some really neat things.

Notes:
      Met: 8.17.09
      Started Dating: 8.20.09
      First Met: 10.2.10
      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Thanks to both of you! I didn't think about cards for Solitaire -- great idea! I don't have anything to listen to music with but walking around will be one thing I will do on and off so I don't get tired from sitting so much.
        June 2013 -- broke up
        August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Your two hour layovers will go by quickly, don't worry about them. Depending on what city your long layover is in, I'd definitely recommend having a little adventure for yourself. First, see if there are viable public transportation options, or if a taxi would work, the do two things, if you can; 1. research what attractions the city has nearby and is known for and pick one to go to. 2. Find out what special foods the city is known for and go eat some For example, if you were laying over in Philly, I'd tell you to go get a cheese steak or a hoagie. 12 hours is too long to shop at airport stores, take advantage of the time and see something you never intended otherwise, and have some fun.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
            First, see if there are viable public transportation options, or if a taxi would work, the do two things, if you can; 1. research what attractions the city has nearby and is known for and pick one to go to. 2. Find out what special foods the city is known for and go eat some
            It's 12 hours in Toronto CA but it is 7pm - 7am next morning. I dallied with the idea of getting a motel room but not sure about that. Besides, wouldn't I have to go through security all over again to go back into the airport?
            June 2013 -- broke up
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Usually on a layover you leave the secure area anyway and have to go back through security to get on your next plane. As far as I know that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
                It's 12 hours in Toronto CA but it is 7pm - 7am next morning. I dallied with the idea of getting a motel room but not sure about that. Besides, wouldn't I have to go through security all over again to go back into the airport?
                Sure, but security really isn't a big deal, you just need to leave enough time in case the lines are long, which they likely wouldn't be then. I've never flown into Canada, but you'd probably have to go through customs and border control too, before you'd be able to leave the airport. I've heard that Toronto is an amazing city though, it could be worth the hassle. There are some airports that have companies who'll do quick layover tours if the city is popular enough, and Toronto is a pretty popular place, that might be worth checking into, too.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I agree go out and see the city! 7-7 is perfect to go have dinner and see some sights . I had a 6 hour layover in Miami and went and had dinner with a friend.

Comment

Oh I hate layovers, I always make sure I get a direct flight no matter what lol, but anytime I'm waiting at an airport, I always have my Nintendo DS for music / games, always end up buying a magazine or book from the airport store too lol, or make a phonecall to someone , or take the opportunity to have a good meal!

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                    2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                    3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                    4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                    5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                    6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                    7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                    Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                    UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

take a blanket and pillow, and find somewhere to take a nap! I'm sure you wont be the only one sleeping there

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly
                        Usually on a layover you leave the secure area anyway and have to go back through security to get on your next plane.
                        What? I thought when you stayed in the gate area (going from one gate to the next) that you were in the secured part and didn't go through TSA check again -- ???

Originally posted by kacie
                        take a blanket and pillow, and find somewhere to take a nap! I'm sure you wont be the only one sleeping there
                        Nice idea but I'm not hauling a blanket and pillow all around the place.

Thank you Moon, lucybelle, and MattDavies86 -- good info!
                        June 2013 -- broke up
                        August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

I just spent from midnight to 7am in Toronto (this morning) and all I can say is that it wasn't a very comfortable place to sleep...

If you stay on the pre-security side, there are a few benches people used for sleeping... they were all taken by the time I went around looking for somewhere to sleep... On the gate side, they have a few lounge chairs with cubes you can use to rest your feet... it was semi-comfortable...

Here is a picture from around 2am this morning (only pic I took in Toronto)

I wandered out of the security gates... it took me literally 5 minutes to pass through security again at 4:30am when I decided to wander back in...
                          Last edited by Verojoon; January 3, 2013, 02:05 PM.
                          First met online: June, 2010
                          First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                          Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                          Third visit together: August, 2012
                          Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                          Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                          Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                          Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Nice idea but I'm not hauling a blanket and pillow all around the place.
                            I picked up this tiny little travel kit that had an inflatable neck pillow and a blanket at the dollar store. It took next to no room at all in my carry-on.
                            First met online: June, 2010
                            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Third visit together: August, 2012
                            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Thanks so much Verojoon! I checked around and found that I could get a motel room nearby, fairly inexpensive, and they had free shuttle to and from the airport. So, that's one idea. I'll check into a travel pillow -- probably just use my coat for a blanket.
                              June 2013 -- broke up
                              August 2013 -- 2nd visit

Comment

Working...
                              X