Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada/USA Border - So Confused

Hello,

I have already contacted the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA), and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection and am very confused now as I have been given conflicting information. I'm hoping someone with more experience can provide some clarity for me.

As I understand a U.S. Citizen can enter Canada by land without a passport. Is this correct?

Now, CBSA has told me that a U.S. Citizen requires a passport to regain entry to the U.S. by land, U.S. Customs has also informed me that U.S. Citizens officially require a passport to regain entry, however they will still allow a citizen over the border if they do not have a passport as they will not deny entry back into the country for a citizen. They did inform me that there will be a delay though. Is this information correct? Can a U.S. Citizen regain entry without a passport? Does anyone have any idea as to how long the delay is?

Before everyone says that a passport would make everything considerably easier, I know this, but due to matters that I cannot say he can not obtain a passport at this moment.

Thank you for your time and help

You used to be able to cross the boarders without a passport no problem, but it has gotten harder to and I would recommend having one to reduce the risk of not being able to re enter.

Comment

You need a passport. A few years ago you didnt need one to go over the border but they've changed the laws or requirements now and I'm 99% you do need one.

Met Online: 02/2012
      Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
      First Met in person: 09/22/2012
      Started Dating: 10/30/2012
      Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Originally posted by kayla_622 View Post
        You need a passport. A few years ago you didnt need one to go over the border but they've changed the laws or requirements now and I'm 99% you do need one.
        Which one are you 99% sure for? To get into Canada or to get into USA?

I had called both the Canadian and American services in charge of border patrol and customs today. The Canadians said you do not need a passport to get into Canada, but they also said an American needs a passport to get back into the USA. At which point I called the Americans, they said you "need" a passport to get into the USA, but will allow a US citizen back into the US without one. :S

Comment

A US Citizen does not need a passport to travel to Canada by LAND. My SO came to Canada without a passport but she had a Passport Card (see link below) which is acceptable. But the process was a lot longer. We had to get out of the car and she had to fill out some paperwork before entering Canada. Now that's she has her passport it's a lot faster!

This is the card she got:
          https://travel.state.gov/passport/pp...card_3926.html

If they traval by AIR they need a passport. And Canadians do require a passport at all times when traveling to the US.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
            A US Citizen does not need a passport to travel to Canada by LAND. My SO came to Canada without a passport but she had a Passport Card (see link below) which is acceptable. But the process was a lot longer. We had to get out of the car and she had to fill out some paperwork before entering Canada. Now that's she has her passport it's a lot faster!

This is the card she got:
            https://travel.state.gov/passport/pp...card_3926.html

If they traval by AIR they need a passport. And Canadians do require a passport at all times when traveling to the US.
            Thank you for the information. It looks for sure that he will be able to get into Canada fine by land without a passport. It's just the getting back into the USA that I am concerned about lol.

Comment

He should be fine as long as he has ID, like a driver license, to get back in the US.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."

Comment

Originally posted by Mims27 View Post
                He should be fine as long as he has ID, like a driver license, to get back in the US.
                Seeing as he is driving I certainly hope he has a drivers licence, thank you again for that link it has been very helpful.

Comment

Weird, I assumed you needed a passport to get into Canada - I used to live quite near the border and remember when they changed it so that you needed a passport either way. I think that's been a relaxed a bit on the Canadian side, but you need to prove your identitiy and residency - I used to use my drivers licence and my birth certificate to get into the US before the change. It's WAY quicker to just get a passport and not have to deal with any hassle really. I have heard of people having massive issues about getting back into the US without a passport, I had a friend from NY come visit me and she was refused entry to the states as she did not have a passport. It might be at the discretion of the border police (my SO got into Canada when his passport was stolen and he only had his SIN card) but it's way better to be safe than sorry.

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                  Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyah View Post
                    Seeing as he is driving I certainly hope he has a drivers licence, thank you again for that link it has been very helpful.
                    Anytime. I've been in your shoes so i'm happy to help. Basically, it's not necessary but I highly reccomend it. If you want better odds at hassle-free and smooth border crossings.

Comment

This is from the link that Mims27 provided:

For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious, or other youth group) who need only present a birth certificate (original, photocopy or certified copy), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or naturalization certificate.
                      Again, conflicting what U.S. Customs and Border Protection told me. Argh.

Comment

I have crossed the border once a year my whole life

you use to not need a passport to get into canada, but post 9/11 you needed one to get into the states, and they kind of man handled canadian citizens. I know my grandma (from UK with UK passport) has to go in and get finger printed every other time she leaves canada.

so now you have to have a passport to go across. My SO and i were going to go over the summer but he didnt have a passport and when i called they said we could chance it since we live in TX they might let us through, but more than likely it wouldnt happen.

so i would take one. to get back in the states as long as you have your DL and SSN card you can re-enter for US cit. only.

Some helpful tips:
                        - know the exact town youre going to, by saying "grimsby" instead of "toronto" it makes it look like youre not just entering Canada for the Alcohol.
                        -be super polite and honest, if you have something to hide, they can since that and will search your car
                        - check out duty free (because it rocks)
                        - if you are bringing a child make sure they have their passport AND a letter from which ever parent is not there saying you have permission to take this child across country lines.

Hope that was helpful! have fun! eat swish challet and haverys.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabethjp2010 View Post
                          I have crossed the border once a year my whole life

you use to not need a passport to get into canada, but post 9/11 you needed one to get into the states, and they kind of man handled canadian citizens. I know my grandma (from UK with UK passport) has to go in and get finger printed every other time she leaves canada.

so now you have to have a passport to go across. My SO and i were going to go over the summer but he didnt have a passport and when i called they said we could chance it since we live in TX they might let us through, but more than likely it wouldnt happen.

so i would take one. to get back in the states as long as you have your DL and SSN card you can re-enter for US cit. only.

Some helpful tips:
                          - know the exact town youre going to, by saying "grimsby" instead of "toronto" it makes it look like youre not just entering Canada for the Alcohol.
                          -be super polite and honest, if you have something to hide, they can since that and will search your car
                          - check out duty free (because it rocks)
                          - if you are bringing a child make sure they have their passport AND a letter from which ever parent is not there saying you have permission to take this child across country lines.

Hope that was helpful! have fun! eat swish challet and haverys.
                          Thank you for the response, so you have had a recent successful experience with crossing back into the USA without a passport?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyah View Post
                            Thank you for the response, so you have had a recent successful experience with crossing back into the USA without a passport?
                            We ended up not being able to go. I have had a passport for most of my life too. crossing back though shouldnt be an issue, its getting across.

Comment

Originally posted by elizabethjp2010 View Post
                              We ended up not being able to go. I have had a passport for most of my life too. crossing back though shouldnt be an issue, its getting across.
                              Getting across? Everything I have read has said that U.S. Citizens can cross by land into Canada just fine without a passport, called them up and they said the same too.

Comment

Working...
                              X