Cheap Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Travel

Anyone know of any ways to find cheap flights? I feel like I have been to literally every website that claims to have the cheapest flight prices, but they all seem to have the same prices. I have never paid less than $400 for a flight. I am a nursing student, so I do not work many hours at my current job, so $400 is quite pricey! Although very much worth it

There's a bunch of tips scattered throughout the website so hopefully others chime in too. Off the top of my head (I just bought tickets so I had looked them up haha) : usually tickets are tickets are cheaper on Tuesdays, it's better to be flexible with your dates (although it may be difficult with your schedule, if you can get midweek tickets instead of flying out/in on the weekend it's usually cheaper) and I've heard that travel websites track you through your cache so if you clear it, sometimes they refresh to the original price instead of jacking it up.

Comment

I usually use Kayak and check the box for flexible dates. But sometimes there is no way around it, travel is just expensive.

Comment

I recently just booked my flight and used Kayak as well and it's the cheapest I've found by far.
        I also hear that Orbitz is a good one.
        I've also heard that you can get standby flights and those are usually cheaper, but I don't remember the name of the site off the top of my head.
        [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
        became official: 28.03.11
        first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
        second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
        our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
        third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
        fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
        surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
        viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
        jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
        my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

I go to the airline websites on different days and compare prices. They say Wednesday afternoon is the best time to book a flight, and Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the best day to travel. I book through Southwest in advance, at least 6 weeks early. Then I keep going back to the site and see if they have lower prices for the flights. They let me rebook the flight for less $$$ if the price is lower and I get a credit of the difference. Right now, I have two flights booked and have went back and got about $30 in credits just by going back and checking the flight prices. Some airlines refund the difference when the price drops lower than when you booked. There are tools out there that track the prices of flights for price drops.

The Southwest flights I have booked are $115 each way for a whopping total of $230 round trip from Louisiana to Connecticut. I will keep checking because I've seen prices go as low as $108 each way (not since I booked my flight though). It's worth your time to check the flight to see if the price dropped. I usually go check the price if/when I want to count the days to see my baby. It helps occupy my time when I am missing her and I save money when I do it.
          Last edited by hmrambling; March 19, 2013, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I usually book through Kayak, to me it seems the cheapest. I've also found that the red-eye flights are cheaper. Apparently I'm the only one that actually prefers those.

Notes:
            Met: 8.17.09
            Started Dating: 8.20.09
            First Met: 10.2.10
            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I'm planning on taking a train because it's about $200 cheaper than a plane ticket to travel across the country. I just use Amtrak.

First met: June 2012
              Became Committed: June 04, 2012
              Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
              Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Working...
              X