Lufthansa ticket: Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lufthansa ticket: Help

I bought my ticket to italy through the Lufthansa website on the 9th of this month. All I received was an email notification confirming that I purchased it. I really don't know if i'm supposed to get the ticket in the mail or if I get them when I check in my back at the airport. Does anyone know what usually happens? can anyone tell me
    sigpic
    Met August 2012
    Official Nov. 18 2012
    Visited him in Italy August 8 2013
    He's visiting April 7-28 2014
    I visited: Aug. 26-Sept. 25 2014

You can't get a ticket until you check in for the flight.

Comment

Most airlines give the option to check in for your flight online 24 hours in advance. You can print out your boarding pass and pay for any luggage fees at this time as well. If you opt not to do it online when you get to the airport, many USA airports have curb side check in to check in at and they give you the boarding pass and take your luggage and fees there. If you don't have access to either one of these you can use a Kiosk at the airport to get the boarding pass and hand your luggage in to the main check in line and pay your fees there. At each and every one of these points you usually are given the chance to upgrade or pay to pick seats, some airlines don't have a fee within 24 hours and some always do. Some foreign airlines like British Air require Americans like you to check in person. I am old school for this stuff and always use curb side or the main line, but BA requires it for me.

If it makes you feel more comfortable you should print out the email confirmation with you and take to the airport. This came in handy for me in Amsterdam when they could not find my reservation one time. I had the email and so they put me on the wait list and got me onto my flight, they said if no coach seats had opened they would have bumped me up because I had proof I had confirmed my flight. Too bad, no problems getting into coach, but at least I got my flight.
      Last edited by Hollandia; May 20, 2013, 09:40 PM.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
        You can't get a ticket until you check in for the flight.
        ^^ This.
        In the Email you got, they probably provided you with a "booking reference number" and your itinerary.
        Lufthansa allows you to check in online 23 hours before your departure, select your seat, and then you decide if you want to print out your boarding pass or have them send it to your mobile phone/email.
        You will need the booking reference number to check in. It's an easy process, don't panic!. Check the Lufthansa website for more detailed information.

You can also check in at the Lufthansa counter the day of your departure. I recommend you to do it with time, as waiting in line can take forever sometimes.

Comment

I was just as confused as you were when I bought my ticket to Peru and all they sent me was an e-mail with a reservation number! But yeah, as outlined above, you just need to check in before your flight and you will receive your pass after that.

I actually checked in the night before my flights and printed my boarding passes, BUT I checked in again at the counter because I had to check my bag, so they gave me a "real" ticket, too. I liked that one better.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Airlines rarely send paper tickets anymore. All you need is your confirmation number, you can use that to get your details on Lufthansa's site, they'll tell you when you can check in and print your pass. Many airlines also give you the option to send your pass to your smartphone, which you'll provide at the bag drop, where they'll most likely give you your printed boarding passes. At least that's how it works for me internationally with BA, Finnair, Delta and IcelandAir, so it seems to be pretty standard. Also, check their website! They'll give you a ton of information about how it works, your connections, airports, luggage allowance, meals, etc. Most importantly, US citizens are required to provide their passport information something like 72 hours before your flight, you do this through your airline's site, if you don't, they may not let you fly, so definitely read through everything.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X