Transfer time at Chicago O'Hare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer time at Chicago O'Hare?

Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, and sorry if this has already been discussed in some other topic, but I couldn't find any topic where my question is answered. Anyhow;

Does anyone know how it is with transfer times at Chicago O'Hare? I reguarly check prices and alternatives on how to get from Stockholm to Phoenix, and I often find really cheap deals where I'd arrive in the US in Chicago and get around 1h and 30m or a bit more time to catch the next flight, is that enough time to get through customs and so on? I'm used to flying pretty often, but it has only been here in Sweden. I have also found deals where I'd go to Heathrow and then take a direct flight to Phoenix, but it costs a bit more, so yeah. But maybe the extra cost is worth it?

I'll be grateful for any help I can get. :3
    "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

I would want at least 2 hours at O'Hare.

Comment

I'm personally nervous about 1.5 hour layovers on any international flight, especially one where you need to go through immigration. Plus, Chicago O'hare is a pretty big airport. I once missed my connecting flight in Newark because the plane was 30 minutes late and the immigration lines were so long (and that was the US citizen line- which was significantly shorter than the non-citizen line). It ended up being a pain because there was only 1 direct flight daily to where I was heading. So I ended up having to take an extra flight and connect through Atlanta.

Just to be safe, I'd look for 2.5-3 hour layovers. Although, if it's much cheaper, you could always risk it. In my situation in Newark, they rebooked me for free (both flights were Delta), even though it made my trip longer and more frustrating.

Comment

I have never needed more than an hour for a layover. I had an hour and a half at Chicago, realised about 20 minutes before my flight was supposed to leave I was in the wrong terminal, and ended up swinging it even though I had to go through security all over again. Personally I'd say go for it if it's cheaper, but I've never had an issue anywhere.

Comment

I made a 45 minute connection in O'Hare (my plane was late getting off the ground, was supposed to be a 1h30 connection) and I hated it. I had to go through immigration as a non-US-citizen and that line moved soooooooooooo slowly. They really scrutinize everything. I'm talking up to 20 minutes per person (not me thankfully, but the person before me).

On top of that you have changes of terminals, finding an open security thing (there was only one open when I went through O'Hare), stand in line and pray some idiot didn't stuff his carry-on full of electronics/hard drives (happened to me) then sprint to your gate.

Almost missed my flight which would have been devastating.

So I wouldn't risk it unless it was really a LOT cheaper and you could rebook with the airline if you missed it.
          So, here you are
          too foreign for home
          too foreign for here.
          Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I went to Brazil in June and came back in August and went through Chicago. When I came back, I had a little less than 2 hours and I was fine. It really depends though because I've had flights delayed which made me miss my connecting flight by less than 5 minutes even. Customs usually doesn't take too long but the more time you have, the better. I'd say at least two hours. I don't mind sitting at a gate for a long time if it means that I'm making my flight!

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

It can be done.. I have the same (1 hour 35 min) when I fly from Netherlands to US, I have a stop in Philadelphia where I need to go through customs.
              For US citizens it's a breeze, but when 2 planes arrive at once the lines for non-US can be crazy long and sometimes it takes so long for the baggage to arrive after that. And after all that there is another security check!

But my connecting flight is 6 times a day, so I usually miss it but then get easily rebooked for the next one..
              Although if you're not a 'regular' flyer and don't know for sure if there is another flight the same day I would take more time to save the stress.

Comment

Thank you everyone, after reading through your comments, I will look for better options with at least 2 hours of layover-time. I am a bit of a "time-pessimist" and since it'd be my first time going to the US, I want as little trouble as possible. If I can't find an option like that by the time I actually can book a flight, I guess I'll have to choose one that costs a bit more, but saves me the trouble that I don't want.
                "The road to success is always under construction." - Lily Tomlin

Comment

I visited my SO in June and I had 2 hours at O'hare to catch my connecting flight. Unfortunately I missed it, even tho I was in the first 7 people in the row at customs. It was fast, but I waited for my suitcase for like 45 mins!! And then there were some men who took this paper that you fill in on the plane and there was a queue for that. After that I thought I'll catch my flight, but going to the other terminal and security took time. So I'll never take 2 hrs again, 3 for sure, but maybe you'll be luckier.

Comment

Working...
                  X