Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ferry schedules (BC but all help welcome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ferry schedules (BC but all help welcome)

Doesn't have to be just BC people....

I'm currently trying to figure out how to make this work.
    I have a pre-planned trip to Victoria (BC) and the island coming up. My SO lives in Greater Vancouver, but works downtown. I've shifted my original plans slightly to be able to go see him.
    I was planning to take a ferry up to meet him (about a 2.5 hour trip) for the day, I have no problem with the travel time, what I'm trying to figure out is....
    The ferry is an hour bus ride from downtown Vancouver which means if I take the last ferry I only get 4 hours with SO (not a big issue but wish it were more).
    By the time the last ferry gets back to where I am staying on Vancouver Island, it'll be almost midnight and from there I still have to figure out how to get to my hotel.

It's too last minute to shift flights/hotels around, and also I'm leaving people I'm traveling with for this side trip or I would probably move my departing flight to Van.

I've looked into cab options for at night.
    From Van to ferry would be 35 mins but about $60 (too steep)
    From ferry (on the other end) to hotel probably wouldn't be a lot, but not sure how comfortable I am taking a cab that late alone.

FYI I've only taken a cab a total of 5 times in my whole life, and never alone.

Any advice?
    Last edited by ozdust; September 8, 2013, 03:12 PM.

~*We meet during theatre festival: 30 Jul 13*~
    ~*He goes back home: 11 Aug 13*~
    ~*Mutual feelings admitted: 06 Sep 13*~
    ~*I go see him: 18 Sep 13*~
    I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

Cabs are perfectly safe, especially if you call a company. I'm not sure I understand where you'll be taking the cab, from the ferry to your hotel? Is it 35 minutes? Because I bet that'll be way more than $60.

Also, figure out how safe Vancouver is at night. You could possibly just take the bus back home.

I'm not really sure I understand all the logistics, but it sure seems like an awful lot of travel time. Have you asked your SO what the best options are? Since he's from the area you should get a good idea.

Comment

It kind of happened last minute....
      It is a lot of travel time, but this is the cheapest option at the last minute or nothing at all.
      Either a ferry or a plane has to be taken from where I'm staying to Vancouver because I'm on an island off the mainland. The thing I'm having trouble with is at the end of the night getting from SO to ferry and ferry to hotel.
      I'm sorry I'm probably not making much sense.

SO isn't much help because he's never used the ferry before, he lives in the big city and has never had a reason.

I believe that maturity has more to do with what types of experiences you've had and what you've learned from them and less to do with how many birthdays you've celebrated.

Comment

Why don't you call your hotel and ask what they advise? I'm sure this is a situation they deal with all of the time.

Comment

I totally didn't think of that! Thanks

Comment

Update:

I ended up taking a float plane. It cost a little more, but instead of being an almost 3 hour trip it was a 25 minute trip
            I also got to spend the night because the latest flight back was 6 and SO got off work at 5.
            In the end, worth the extra money!

Comment

Working...
            X