Luggage: Cans and Can'ts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luggage: Cans and Can'ts?

So if I can get my act together I may be seeing my guy for the first time next month. Thing is, I've NEVER been on a plane or in an airport and though I've been trying to research what I can and can't pack for months, I'm still confused so maybe some seasoned warriors of the flying world can help me out.

First off, let's say I'm going for two weeks. Would packing a suitcase that isn't carry-on be necessary?

Second, bathing supplies! I've read that you can't bring anything over 4 oz on carry-on, is that true? Does it apply to luggage that isn't carry-on? What about food that's packed in tupperware or wrapped up, not to eat on the plane but to bring with you?

Medication. I have a ton and I use a pill organizer. Is it better to leave them out the organizer and do it when I get there, just have them in the bottles, or can I bring both the bottles and the organizer already with stuff in it?

I'll ask more as I think of them. I just need plain-jane answers as info sites for airports and the like always word this stuff some confusingly and I'd rather not be there several hours longer because I screwed up.

So exciting! Write a list of what you would wear each day, by day, inc shoes. Then pack it and see if it fits in carry on luggage. If you can avoid checking a bag and just take carry on luggage then do that so you can avoid the lost luggage scenario. Having said that for two weeks you may not be able to avoid this. In that case, make sure you do pack at least a full day's change of clothes, plus a couple of underwear changes, in your carry on so if they do lose it you have two sets of clothes while they find your luggage.

I'm not sure about the size of the holders but definately nothing flammable like nail polish remover or nail scissors. If you have anything in an aerosol like deodorant - get a non aerosol option. With your medication, have it in your organiser so you know what to take when, in case you get flustered by traveling and you may be tired when you arrive. Take your scripts or at least a photocopy of your scripts with you to substantiate those medications are yours for personal use. Keep your medications in your carry on bag, esp birth control pills, in case they lose your luggage. Re food, I think you should be fine with domestic travel. International is much stricter for moving food around. Take a bottle of water with you. Hope this helps!

Comment

You'd be the first woman I know who could bring stuff for 2 weeks in just a carry-on bag. Especially if you're bringing your own food as well! But hey, you know how many different outfits you need and such. Depends how girly of a woman you are, so to speak.

Bringing liquids into the cabin is subject to very strict rules. No aerosols and only mini containers packed together in a small resealable see-through bag. If you go to any big chemist, they usually have a separate section with 'airplane-size minis'.
      Of course, if you pack a separate big suitcase, you can bring any size and shape of toiletries, food and drink in there, which makes life a Lot easier.

I see no reason not to bring your pill organizer. Although I usually bring some sort of evidence (stickers/little empty boxes) of what medication is actually in there and some evidence that I actually have those medicines prescribed for me, just in case anyone gets curious.

Oh, and if you want a bottle of water on the plane, buy it at the shops after security. If you take one from home, you Will have to hand it in at security.
      Last edited by William; August 19, 2010, 04:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I would assume you would need more than a carry on, as they have a strict size and weight rule. I would try it, and see if you can fit it, and if not use a checked baggage. Yes for a carry on you do have to have less than 4oz liquid.

Comment

Eternity: I mapped that out a while back. XD I simply want to pack essentials, i.e. the clothes, underthings, bath stuff, and my medicine. I've been told if you keep them in their prescription bottles and put them all in a ziploc bag and carry them instead of sticking them in your bad, carry-on or not you can get them checked and avoid possible radiation from the machines. But that's a good idea packing an extra set or two of clothes.

William: Hey, if I can lessen the crap I have to remember to put back in the suitcase and not have mailed to me I'll do it. All I wear are jeans and tees and the food would just be maybe a half dozen muffins as I promised this man I'd bake him some. Like I can cook. And good, if I can pack my regular shampoo at the very least I'll just toss the minis into my messenger which will be carry-on along with the extra clothes on the off chance my luck decides I get to try and go naked.

JoMarie: They do? That's understandable. So yeah I would need my ugly suitcase then. XD

Comment

In order to know what you can take on your carry-on, this is what can be checked, per the TSA: https://www.tsa.gov/311/ With clear instructions on how to put it in the baggie, even. Make sure it's ziptop!

The limit for grooming items is only if you have it on your carry-on. The bigger thing you'll want to watch out for is checked bag fees. If you have to pay the fee, check the weight/size limit imposed by the airline to make sure you fit and have the cash.

I'm so excited for you; I know how much you've struggled with this.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

No metal things. (except of necklaces etc.)
              No food.
              No liquids and if then you need to put them in such special bags xD
              And yeah... you should just look out to not overdo the limit 8D

Comment

I would recommend keeping your medications in their original bottles. It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd hate to see you held up for even a little bit at the airport because some baggage checker wanted to be sure that what you said the pills are is actually what they are. It may take up more space, but if you have a lot, it will be easier than getting copies of every prescription. If you go to the pharmacy before you leave, ask the pharmacist. He/She will be able to advise you best based on the prescriptions you take.

I think you could fit everything into a carry-on, but honestly, if you don't have to pay to check or can afford to check your bag, it is much easier. Especially for a first time flier. There is very limited space on the plane, and it can be a bit stressful to try to find space for it. If the flight is full, you may have to check it anyway.

As for what to bring, I tend to overpack toiletries- I always want to bring everything I might possibly want, even if I know I'll have access to a store where I could buy anything I wanted while I'm there. And there are no limits in a bag you check. Muffins are fine for a carry-on. The only things you'd need to worry about are foods that are liquid in some way.

I can't really imagine you'll pack more than the weight limit for a checked-bag for a 2-week trip unless you pack a lot of shoes, books, canned foods, etc. I'm not sure about the weight limit for a carry on, but do know that you need to be able to lift it over your head. This is often difficult for me because I'm so short, and I almost always have to ask someone to help me. Usually people are nice, but they can also be cranky when traveling.

Have a great time on your trip!

Comment

I wouldn't pack a check-bag, but I am just cheap. It is definitely possible, it would just require that you wash clothes when you are there. Remember that you can have one carry-on and a personal item, so really that is like two bags, but the personal bag just has to fit under your seat. I usually bring a backpack with my laptop, clothes, and everything else that won't fit in the other bag.

As Rach mentioned, the liquid restrictions do not apply to check-bags, so you can bring whatever you want. As for your medicine, that counts as part of your quart sized bag filled with four ounce liquids. However, I believe you can declare medicines if you have to many to fit in the zip block bag, but you would have to check that website to make sure. Mind you, I used to be able to get away with not putting my liquids in a bag, but now I just do it because they started holding me up in the Louisiana airports--they are stricter than ones in South Carolina, I guess

Also, you can bring food on the plane as long as it is not liquid. So you could pack a subway sandwich or something and be alright. But whatever you buy inside of the gate you can also bring on the plane, but airport food is really expensive, so packing your own food would save money.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirschlein View Post
                    No food.
                    I was allowed to bring food. Like candy bars. Drinks on the other hand are only allowed when you buy it AFTER you got everything checked. Like a bottle of water. You are allowed to pack food in a suitcase though. As long as it's no meat. When I travelled they were really strict about meat, sausages and stuff like that. That was an overseas trip though. Might be different within the country.
                    Last edited by NaNi; August 19, 2010, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluestars View Post
                      Remember that you can have one carry-on and a personal item, so really that is like two bags, but the personal bag just has to fit under your seat. I usually bring a backpack with my laptop, clothes, and everything else that won't fit in the other bag.
                      That differs per airline. I've seen women having to frantically try and squeeze their personal handbags in their small carry-on suitcases because it was strictly one item only.

Comment

When I went to visit my SO for a week, I packed my purse up and my rolly carry-on bag just with essentials like my clothes and meds. We stopped at Target after we left the airport to pick up essentials like toiletries and such, just those little travel bottles that come in a travel bag. They lasted me the week and I brought them home in my carry-on just fine afterwards.

Comment

Would packing a suitcase that isn't carry-on be necessary?
                          If you want to bring a lot of things home from your trip then I recommend checking a bag, but if you don't then a carry on should be fine. If you want to only bring a carry on then I would recommend using a duffel bag as they are flexable, hold a lot and fit in the overhead bins. A lot of airlines charge for checked bags depending on the airline you use, American and Delta are $25 for the first bag, the others i believe are just $15 for the first bag (I only fly on American as my dad works for them)

I've read that you can't bring anything over 4 oz on carry-on, is that true?
                          The rule that they use is 3-1-1 (3 ozs, 1 quart size bag, 1 bag per person).

Does it apply to luggage that isn't carry-on?
                          Nope it's only for carry ons

What about food that's packed in tupperware or wrapped up, not to eat on the plane but to bring with you?
                          All food has to be in the checked bag, I think there are some cases where they will allow you to take food on the plane with you, but i've always seen the person getting the food thrown away.

Is it better to leave them out the organizer and do it when I get there, just have them in the bottles, or can I bring both the bottles and the organizer already with stuff in it?
                          Always keep the medications in their original bottles because if your bag gets searched and you don't have the bottles with the labels on them showing your name they will take the medication away from you.

I hope i've helped some. I tend to fly a lot so I've learned some of the ins and outs of domestic and Canadian traveling lol.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

As for stuff you can bring and how much of it (like food etc) you should check the plane company you are flying with its usually all written on their page cause it differs sometimes
                            And yea other than that I think you know best what you need for 2 weeks So yea pack things up, see how much it weights and check if thats ok

Comment

Every airline has their own restrictions and measurements/ weight limits for carry-on bags and suitcases, I'd say go through them with the airline you're flying with and you'll know FOR SURE what to bring and what not.

Comment

Working...
                              X