US visitor visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US visitor visa

I just posted on VisaJourney and I wanted to know if anyone here had experience with their SO apply for a visitor (B-2) visa to the USA? My SO is from Guatemala so he isn't eligible for the visa waiver program. I'm worried that even though he has no ties to the US (aside from me) and he is a full-time university student and a full-time high school teacher in Guatemala, USCIS isn't going to grant the visa because he is a 26 year old male from Guatemala with no wife or kids.

We want him to come visit during his semester break from university in December 2014 so he'd start the process in a few months. I'm just worried he won't get it because of who he is and the US perception, especially for Latin America.
    When two hearts are meant for each other, no distance is too far,
    no time is too long, and no other love can break them apart.

Originally posted by conejita_hada View Post
    I just posted on VisaJourney and I wanted to know if anyone here had experience with their SO apply for a visitor (B-2) visa to the USA? My SO is from Guatemala so he isn't eligible for the visa waiver program. I'm worried that even though he has no ties to the US (aside from me) and he is a full-time university student and a full-time high school teacher in Guatemala, USCIS isn't going to grant the visa because he is a 26 year old male from Guatemala with no wife or kids.

We want him to come visit during his semester break from university in December 2014 so he'd start the process in a few months. I'm just worried he won't get it because of who he is and the US perception, especially for Latin America.
    I have applied for the visa one time before and I got it (actually I have an appointment to renew it this month), as long as he can proves he has work in Guatamela and how much money does he earn, it shouldn't be a problem. Also it would be nice from you to write a letter for the US embassy in Guatemala where you can tell that he is going to stay with you and for how many days.
    Wish you best of luck!

Comment

Yeah, he'll probably have problems. Unless he comes from a family with a lot of money. A lot of times going to school and having a job is not enough. Does he own property? That would help.

Best wishes!

Comment

I don't think his family owns any land though his father owns the house they live in; they aren't wealthy. I guess we'll just plan for him applying for the visa and then whatever comes of it, we'll figure out what to do from there. Thanks for your inputs!

Comment

Please don't take this as discouragement, I'm just sharing my experience with you.

My SO was full-time enrolled in one of the best universities in Peru, owns something like 25% of his house (split between him, his mom, and his half(?)-brother), and was at the time getting paid to do research with a group on campus. He is on Peru's national wushu (martial arts) team and has an ongoing lawsuit that requires him to be present to sign papers from time to time. We got letters from his work stating that he'd continue to be employed and brought a copy of the deed that he owns. I had my family write a letter inviting him to stay with us in the states (possibly a mistake). The embassy looked at pretty much none of his documents and just said it wasn't enough. He tried again a few months later and got the same thing, and when he asked explicitly why it wasn't enough, the lady just told him he shouldn't apply for another year or until his circumstances change.

This is fairly common with young, unwealthy singles from developing countries. You can follow all their guidelines and meet all their requirements and easily not get it.
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

All you can do is try. But definitely be prepared for the possibility that his visa application is refused.

I live in Mali and have heard dozens of stories of young, not-super-wealthy people being turned down for US visitor visas. This is why we've never even attempted to apply for a visitor visa for my husband. He has very few ties and we know that he'd have zero chance of getting a visa. 6 months ago, I applied for my (step) daughter for a US visitor visa and she DID get it! But she is 4 years old, so it's not the same situation. But before applying, I was totally ready to accept either outcome.

Comment

I've heard horror stories before about getting visa's into the US and not even visitor visa's either. One of my friends from Colombia wanted to come and visit me for 2 weeks, well she has a job, her family is well off and her parents have small plots of land (around .5 acres for each child) in each of the kids names, she had her hotel reservation and her return plane ticket and they refused her entry saying she didn't have enough proof to show ties to her country.

On the other hand my good friend from Spain got a job at Paramount Studio's in California as an animator, well he went down to apply for his work visa, had everything he needed filled out and all of the paperwork filled out by Paramount stating how long he'd be working for them with start and end dates, well he was denied his work visa (Paramount even applied for the visa for him and he still got denied). He comes from a well to do family, has his own animation studio in Spain, owns his own house and it didn't help him at all.

So just good luck to him and hopefully he'll get a visa to the US.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Riyko - I'm surprised someone from Spain didn't get his visa since the US is pretty chummy with (most) EU countries, but then it might have been the type of visa.

I know in any case it's a gamble. Thanks for all your inputs. We might try for the visa anyway, knowing it will be a long-shot. The good thing that came out of it was my mom is beginning to understand how serious my SO and I are about each other now. haha He and I both want him to visit the US to meet my family and understand my country; as he puts it "you know my family and country, now it's my turn to know your family and country." A completely wild idea would be for us to take a trip to Italy although plane tickets are more expensive, he doesn't need a visa to visit the EU and I have family to stay with there (plus my parents want to visit since my mom's family is there and Rome is somewhat similar US). Then again, that's just a wild idea to ponder. At least we have a few months to decide if he should still apply for the visa or just keep saving for later.

Comment

Originally posted by conejita_hada View Post
                  Riyko - I'm surprised someone from Spain didn't get his visa since the US is pretty chummy with (most) EU countries, but then it might have been the type of visa.
                  It was weird, but he finally got approved for the visa today, there was an issue with the contract he signed with paramount (they left out some important information) and he also had me write him a reference letter for good measure.

good luck with your boyfriend and his visa

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Working...
                  X