No announcement yet.

Banking between US and Canada - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't normally do that when you visit him, Benni? Before I went to see SO last November, I notified the bank of my travel dates so they wouldn't shut off my card for "unusual activity". I don't even have to call -there's a link in the online banking for me to enter my travel dates.

I use my card there, but you just have to be careful of the currency conversion and any fees charged for such conversion. SO usually picks up the cost of food, so I don't have to get Canadian money.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Hmm.... the bank didn't say anything about conversion or charges. I guess I better call them back tomorrow.

When I visited before, I just took cash and B went to his bank and converted it to Canadian. The only thing I had to buy were my cigarettes, any liquor if I wanted it, and personal stuff if needed.
      But, I'm not going to be able to bring enough cash for 3 months!
      February 2012 -- met online
      August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
      April 2013 -- met in person
      June 2013 -- broke up
      July 2013 -- back together
      August 2013 -- 2nd visit
      October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
      April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Look into setting up a Citibank account.

In Australia, Citibank offers free cash transfers between international Citibank accounts. I'm going to assume that Citibank operates in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Benni View Post
          Hmm.... the bank didn't say anything about conversion or charges. I guess I better call them back tomorrow.

When I visited before, I just took cash and B went to his bank and converted it to Canadian. The only thing I had to buy were my cigarettes, any liquor if I wanted it, and personal stuff if needed.
          But, I'm not going to be able to bring enough cash for 3 months!
          They are increasing the price of cigarettes in Canada by 24% https://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/1...ng-tobacco-tax (off topic)

As for banking if you can see about opening a charles schwab checking account https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab...ecking_account . I have this account for when i'm interning in Chile and it makes it really nice as there are no ATM fees worldwide when withdrawing money from the account.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the heads up on the smokes!!

I did a lot of research and calls the past couple days.

My bank charges fees for using my debit card in Canada.
            B's bank charges even higher fees to withdraw from there.

But, my Cap One card can be used freely with no extra charges and I can still pay the monthly bill online through my bank just like I do now.

So! That seems the way to go.

Thank you all for your great feedback -- wonderful peeps you are!
            February 2012 -- met online
            August 2012 -- he said "I love you."
            April 2013 -- met in person
            June 2013 -- broke up
            July 2013 -- back together
            August 2013 -- 2nd visit
            October 20, 2013 -- He proposed!
            April 22, 2014 -- Married/closed the distance!

Comment

Working...
            X