Never used a train before..tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rach321 View Post
    Going by train is my favorite option of travel. I find it to be the least stressful, most comfortable. I've taken Amtrak a few times (wish it had more steps and more convenient schedules in my part of the States). Found the seats comfortable, and the train has never been full, so I could really stretch out. I lived in Europe, and travelled by train all the time there. Let us know how the trip goes!
    It's my favorite too. Though I have been in a full train. The New York to DC stretch of the Northeast Corridor and the Carolinian lines tends to be pretty packed, though usually everyone gets off in one of those two cities. But still, it's definitely comfortable and I enjoy watching the scenery.

Fun fact: Vice President Biden commuted from Wilmington, DE to Washington, DC on Amtrak every day when he was a senator.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I think the day this was originally posted I was taking a five hour train ride from New York City to Western Massachusetts. I had an excellent trip. The train cars were very roomy. There are lots of places to put luggage so traveling with just a backpack is not necessary. Basically if it can fit in an overhead bin on a plane then your fine. Some routes offer checked baggage. I'm not sure if there are fees for that though.

The conductors and other staff on board are very helpful and as other have said, they will make sure you don't miss your stop. On my trip we actually had to wait at a stop slightly longer because a conductor -- on a second trip through the train to make sure everyone that needed to get off had gotten off -- found a passenger who had missed the announcement for his stop. My stop in Western Massachusetts did not have a high level platform so we had to descend seven or so steps, and there was a conductor there helping to hand down all of our luggage.

I've also changed tickets several times in the past on Amtrak with no problems. I would definitely recommend taking Amtrak, and I will do so again in the future when the opportunity presents it. I've always wanted to take the train across the country. Maybe I'll do that to move back in with my SO when I graduate next spring instead of driving.

Comment

Working...
      X