Scared of Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared of Flying

Alright, so I HAVE flown before, I do know what to expect. However, that was about 3 years ago I last stepped foot on a plane and I do believe that's quite enough time for me to have forgotten most of what it's like.

As it's probably obvious, I am terrified of flying. I'm scared of heights, scared of being in a machine holding me miles and miles above the earth, scared of the pain the height brings my ears because of a medical condition. Plain and simple I'm just scared.

So, anyone else? How do you cope? Are there tricks to teach yourself? Methods to relax or fall asleep? Distractions? Please share!

Music and Gum is all you need haha (well in my opinion anyways)
    You use the gum to chew while the plane is taking off so your head, jaw, ears, etc wont hurt as much
    Then music to relax you during your plane ride
    Also if you are really are afraid being something to squeeze (stress balls is what they call it,right?) or stuff animals help (childish i know but it helps, i bring my pooh bear blanket and pooh bear stuff animal when i fly)
    So yeah hope that helps

Comment

After a little while, you just get used to it. I used to be afraid, but now I enjoy it, especially take off You could try looking for very cheap specials on the discount airlines and take some short (under an hour) flights to nearby cities, just to get yourself used to flying. Some airlines have flights as low as $14 each way, if you can catch the deal. Spend a day or two exploring, then go home. Once you realize flying is safe you'll start to feel better about it. Good Luck!
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

See this thread - https://members.lovingfromadistance....ar-Of-Flying-(

There's plenty of advice and suggestions in there, I hope it helps!
        In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
        Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

I hate it too! For me, if I can avoid it, I try to always fly with someone I know. I know this isn't always possible, but it helps me calm down from the start.

As another person said, chewing gum has always worked for my ears, but I know it doesn't work for everyone. For a longer flight (more than 6 hours), would it be possible for you to take a sleeping pill shortly after take off?

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I hate it too! For me, if I can avoid it, I try to always fly with someone I know. I know this isn't always possible, but it helps me calm down from the start.

As another person said, chewing gum has always worked for my ears, but I know it doesn't work for everyone. For a longer flight (more than 6 hours), would it be possible for you to take a sleeping pill shortly after take off?

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Working...
            X