Hostels in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hostels in America

Has anyone used a hostel in the U.S. before? I was thinking of going to one in New York City but wasn't sure how they compared to Europe's hostels.

I just know it is significantly cheaper than staying in a hotel.
    First date: 12.27.09
    Started the distance: 6.10.10
    Finished the distance: 8.17.12

J & C

Looking at the amenities for a few of the ones in New York, they seem reasonably on par with the ones I stayed in when I went to Spain. I've found with hostels that you get what you pay for, though that's also true with hotels in general.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I didn't even realize that there were hostels in the US! I have never been to one, so I really can't help you there, but if it was cheaper I would go for it! I have only been to NY once on a field trip. Our hotel was horrible and in a bad part of town lol! But all we did was sleep in it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Comment

My brother stays in hostels if he visits a city and doesn't have a friend to stay with. I'd just make sure it was in the right part of town and that you have everything you need there.

Comment

Agreed with others - usually hostels are pretty good here in the US, but if you're unsure, go browse a city travel guide at Border's and check out their review (I recommend Lonely Planet).

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

My bf plans to stay in hostels when he comes here this summer. They are alot cheaper, but me personally I can't tell you, but when he gets online, i'll ask him about it.
            I love you Nathan <3
            sigpic
            5/25/09 <3

Comment

I stayed in a hostel for two months while traveling around the US. Looking www.hostelworld.com Lots of people say that the hostels in North america are nothing compared to the ones in Europe but we had no problem with any of the ones we stayed in. You are where ever you are for the sights not the place you are going to be sleeping.
              There is a review section on that website where you can get a general idea of what the place is like but still take each one with a grain of salt. If someone is expecting a 5 star hotel and then realized that there are shared bathrooms their rating will not be as high as someone whose been to the worst of the worst and experienced them all.

Comment

Also try the website: hostelbookers.com

I haven't stayed in one in the USA but it would have to be pretty shitty for me to prefer to spend 10xs as much to stay in a hotel!

Comment

I would normally recommend couch surfers but in NYC, I would definitely say hostel.

Comment

My friend has stayed in hostels in NY, not NYC, and he had no complaints, if that helps. When I was like, aren't those way worse than motels, he was like -shrugs- it wasn't bad. But in NYC, I'd be a little more timid.
                    ~"Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them"~

Comment

I've stayed in a hostel in NYC proper. Exactly what you'd expect from a hostel, and much more reasonable price than that of a hotel. Had a dorm style room with 4 occupants and two shared bathrooms for the floor of 5 or six rooms. Not bad at all. I'd do it again. I think I stayed at one called Big Apple Hostel near the theater district. Check google for website details. Also, be sure and have cash in hand for any sort of linen or key deposit even if they say they accept credit. I had to go to an ATM to get cash for my key even though I was paying with credit.

Comment

Working...
                      X