First time to America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time to America

I'll be heading to America for the first time ever. Sky Harbor International in Arizona, to be specific.
    I am an anxious person who likes to prepare as much in advance as possible, so I have many questions. Please bear with me.

1-Connecting flights. I will limit it to only the one (most likely in England), but it still makes me anxious. How to navigate? Time allowance, queues, assistance at the airport etc. Any advice or tips for this.

2-Long haul flight. Never done one before, and I am worried about being sat for at least 13 hours straight. My legs don't enjoy a 2 hour bus ride, so I can only imagine what this will be like!

3-Going through an American airport. Very nervous about this too. How to deal with customs etc. Never had to deal with this either, and I'm worried because it will be our first meeting.

4-Vaccinations. What ones will I need before I travel? I did look it up, but I can't remember now. Was it Tetanus and something else?

5-ESTA. I am flying from Ireland, so I come under the Visa Waiver Protection Programme. Need to apply for an ESTA before I go. No idea what to do if it's refused.

I think that's all the questions I have, but I may think of more!

Thanks in advance for all input and advice.

1- Budget at least two hours for connections (bare minimum) and more if you can. Most airports are pretty good at having clear signalling as to where to go if you have a connecting flights. There are also screens that display the terminal and gate of your next flight around the airport, so you can look for your next flight and figure out where to go. It's useful to have your information like flight number memorized and/or easily accessible. If you are connecting within the US, plan for 3-4h at least. This is because you have to go through passport control, pick up your luggage, go through customs and re-check your bag when you land in the US, regardless of your final destination.

2 - Try and book an aisle seat if you can. Yeah windows are fun but you are less likely to get up and walk around if you have to scoot over other people's laps to get to the aisle. Stay hydrated, wear comfortable and non-constricting clothing, do some stretches for your legs when you get up (even if you're just going to the bathroom). I've flown a lot and at this point just accept that I'll be in some discomfort for a day or two after arriving at my destination.

3 - Have all your documents ready in one spot (a folder/big envelope works) so that you don't have to dig through your bag for anything, which is nerve wracking. Again there should be signs directing you where to go, as well as airport employees who can help direct you. I'm not sure if there is anything specific you should be careful of because you are visiting your SO, so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

4 - I haven't heard of required vaccinations to enter the US - no one ever asked me for proof of vaccination at the border, and I come from an African country.

5 - I haven't done ESTA so someone else will be better equipped to respond to that. However I assume that if it is refused you would then have to apply for a tourist visa.
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Basically what Ejoriah said, for the most part.

On 1 - Yeah, I don't recommend a layover in the states, as it's lengthy and a pain in the rear to get your baggage and re-check it. I have found that an hour is enough in the past for simple connections, but more time can also give you a chance to stretch your legs, pee, etc. without stressing about making it to the next gate. A layover in Canada might be a good option to split the long haul flight up.

On 3 - The general rule is "do not volunteer more information than is asked." They just want you to answer their questions, not give them an account of everything you're planning on doing. The most common questions in our experience are:

- Where are you coming from?
      - Where are you going?
      - How long will you be staying?
      - What's the purpose of your visit?
      - Do you know anyone there?
      --- How did you meet them?
      --- How long have you known them?
      --- Will you be staying with them?
      - Where will you be staying?

So basically just be prepared to answer these questions. There is some debate over whether you should tell them you're visiting your SO if they ask who you'll be staying with, as this can be grounds to reject your entry. While you shouldn't lie, the unfortunate reality is that people are occasionally turned back for this, especially when their evidence that they will return to their home country is weak. My SO usually says he's visiting a friend or family (if we'll be seeing my family) when he flies in to see me.

On 4 - No vaccination requirements for visitors afaik. SO has never been asked, nor were my UK friends when they visited last year.

On 5 - Ejoriah is correct, if you are not approved for ESTA then you will need to apply for a visitor visa.
      WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I'M NOT APPROVED FOR TRAVEL?
      If you receive a Travel Not Authorized response to your travel authorization application, but wish to continue with your travel plans, please visit The Department of State Web site at www.travel.state.gov for additional information about applying for a visa. The denial of a travel authorization only prohibits travel under the Visa Waiver Program and is not a determination of eligibility for a visa to travel to the United States. In the event you are not approved for a travel authorization, no court shall have jurisdiction to review an eligibility determination under ESTA.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
        Basically what Ejoriah said, for the most part.

On 1 - Yeah, I don't recommend a layover in the states, as it's lengthy and a pain in the rear to get your baggage and re-check it. I have found that an hour is enough in the past for simple connections, but more time can also give you a chance to stretch your legs, pee, etc. without stressing about making it to the next gate. A layover in Canada might be a good option to split the long haul flight up.
        I had decided against a layover in the US mainly for the unknown element of it. The majority of the event is going to be diving in the deep end for me, especially with my anxiety in mind. So I figured if I layover in England, I'd feel more at ease at least. I think I've been to Heathrow before, but if not I'll likely still feel more relaxed for being in 'familiar company', as it were. (I am actually English, but living in Ireland.)

Comment

On 3 - The general rule is "do not volunteer more information than is asked." They just want you to answer their questions, not give them an account of everything you're planning on doing. The most common questions in our experience are:

- Where are you coming from?
          - Where are you going?
          - How long will you be staying?
          - What's the purpose of your visit?
          - Do you know anyone there?
          --- How did you meet them?
          --- How long have you known them?
          --- Will you be staying with them?
          - Where will you be staying?

So basically just be prepared to answer these questions. There is some debate over whether you should tell them you're visiting your SO if they ask who you'll be staying with, as this can be grounds to reject your entry. While you shouldn't lie, the unfortunate reality is that people are occasionally turned back for this, especially when their evidence that they will return to their home country is weak. My SO usually says he's visiting a friend or family (if we'll be seeing my family) when he flies in to see me.
          Yes, this was another thing I had wondered about. I don't know what evidence I'd really have. Pre paid and printed return tickets to Ireland. I'm not in work, so I have no employer to vouch for me. No friends to speak of, and no family either.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
            Yes, this was another thing I had wondered about. I don't know what evidence I'd really have. Pre paid and printed return tickets to Ireland. I'm not in work, so I have no employer to vouch for me. No friends to speak of, and no family either.
            I don't mean to make you worry-- realistically, it's unlikely they would ask you for further evidence because, let's face it, Ireland is not a country the US is concerned about when it comes to immigration.

It is generally a good idea to have some evidence, though, in the rare case that they do ask. My SO always brings his school ID and is prepared to show his school email and online account should the officers ask, as evidence that he is a student and plans to return to Canada. I print out my work schedule for the next month and bring my work ID with me to Canada. Neither of us have ever been asked for any evidence, but we still take precautions, just in case. It will depend on the officer you get and how they feel about your intentions.

A return ticket is definitely good to have as evidence and may be all you need. Is there anything you do or have in Ireland that keeps you in Ireland?
            Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
            Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
            Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I don't mean to make you worry-- realistically, it's unlikely they would ask you for further evidence because, let's face it, Ireland is not a country the US is concerned about when it comes to immigration.

It is generally a good idea to have some evidence, though, in the rare case that they do ask. My SO always brings his school ID and is prepared to show his school email and online account should the officers ask, as evidence that he is a student and plans to return to Canada. I print out my work schedule for the next month and bring my work ID with me to Canada. Neither of us have ever been asked for any evidence, but we still take precautions, just in case. It will depend on the officer you get and how they feel about your intentions.

A return ticket is definitely good to have as evidence and may be all you need. Is there anything you do or have in Ireland that keeps you in Ireland?
              I just got granted Disability Allowance because of my Mental Health Issues, and I have no savings anywhere. I've just discovered that if I am gone for longer than 2 weeks in a year, I will likely be cut off from that. I'd say that is enough of a draw for me to go back again, but IDK.
              I've only applied for a bank account today, having lived here for nearly 3 years now.

Comment

Working...
              X