Layover Flight in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layover Flight in London

So, I'm going over to Boston for 3 months and will be living with my boyfriend while working summer job. I'm not nervous about that part because we met in person in Boston last summer. Both of our plans before we met each other was to go back to Boston after we finished college because we loved it so much. It was convenient when we found out we have the same plan for the future. It's what made us closer, I think. So he finishing his final year in New Mexico and I'm finishing my final year in Ireland. We are both heading back June 2019.

I just booked my flights to Boston and it's a layover. I'm nervous about flying on my own in general when it's a direct flight. Anyway, my layover is in London, one of the biggest airports in Europe and I have the sense of direction of GPS with no signal. Airports make me nervous due to the seriousness of them, US security makes them even scarier. I will definitely need to plan and write a list of what I need to do and when I need to do it. I know this might seem stupid but I'm super shy and introverted so this is kinda my worst nightmare (if anything goes wrong). The funny part is, I have no problem with the flying part, I'm absolutely fine with that. It's getting to the plane that freaks me out.

Does anyone have any advice for a person whom is flying on their own involving a layover for the first time?

(I did flight to the US before, but it was a direct flight and I did it with a friend who is very familiar with airports in general. So I was definitely depending on him the last time.)

Sorry for the long post, you can probably get the vibe that I'm freaking out.

Do you know which airport you are going to?
    I'm in a similar situation myself. I am also planning my trip to the states, and I have never done a layover before either. I am flying from Dublin to Heathrow, which I think is the biggest of the London airports. I have been researching as a result of that too, and I am also very nervous and introverted. I also have a plan checklist of things to do before I go there, so you are not alone in this at all.
    Have you been to London before?

Comment

There is no reason to worry about a layover. Check with your gate agent when you arrive to find out which gate you fly from next, and there will be plenty of signs telling you were to go. Use the time to grab something to eat and charge your phone. If your airline has an app, download it in advance so you can get updates on your flight. Layovers are really no big deal.
      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
        Do you know which airport you are going to?
        I'm in a similar situation myself. I am also planning my trip to the states, and I have never done a layover before either. I am flying from Dublin to Heathrow, which I think is the biggest of the London airports. I have been researching as a result of that too, and I am also very nervous and introverted. I also have a plan checklist of things to do before I go there, so you are not alone in this at all.
        Have you been to London before?
        Hey, I'm glad I feel like I'm not alone in this situation. For the first time it truly can be terrifying. I'll be in Heathrow aswell. I think the best situation is to research and plan everything. Make sure plan things that might go wrong. I know it's probably simple once you know what to do, it's just the first time is so daunting. I think the checklist is a really good idea

Comment

I have researched this (surprise surprise! ), and it sounds like Heathrow is really good. They have a purple connections path that you follow to find your flight, which is handy given how big it is. Also, they have sunflower lanyards, which I admit I had never heard of. You can order one free of charge, and it will be sent to your address. They are designed for people with invisible disabilities such as aspergers, anxiety, dementia etc. If you want to go that route, you will need your flight details first. I am contemplating getting one myself, just to ease my mind rather than because I think I will necessarily need the extra support. Having said that, if I get really stressed out and emotional (which is fairly likely), I would likely struggle. I am only taking one carry on piece of luggage, with enough clothes for 4 days, and then I will wash them half way through my visit. I'm also only stopping in England to help me minimise the stress.
          Can you tell I have given this a lot of thought?
          As I should be going out before you, I can update you on the experience when I'm back, if that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
            I have researched this (surprise surprise! ), and it sounds like Heathrow is really good. They have a purple connections path that you follow to find your flight, which is handy given how big it is. Also, they have sunflower lanyards, which I admit I had never heard of. You can order one free of charge, and it will be sent to your address. They are designed for people with invisible disabilities such as aspergers, anxiety, dementia etc. If you want to go that route, you will need your flight details first. I am contemplating getting one myself, just to ease my mind rather than because I think I will necessarily need the extra support. Having said that, if I get really stressed out and emotional (which is fairly likely), I would likely struggle. I am only taking one carry on piece of luggage, with enough clothes for 4 days, and then I will wash them half way through my visit. I'm also only stopping in England to help me minimise the stress.
            Can you tell I have given this a lot of thought?
            As I should be going out before you, I can update you on the experience when I'm back, if that will help.
            Wow you've really put in a lot of thought into this but I guess March isn't that far away now that I think about it. Thank you for explaining the pathway system to me, it definitely helps putting me at ease. Also the sunflower lanyard assistance is really such an amazing idea just in general for anyone as I think a lot of people have huge fears around airports whether that's getting to the plane or flying and disabilities can have a huge affect on that. I think once you're prepared and have all documentation ready, it should run smoothly. Please do keep me updated I would be very interested on how your travel and holiday went

Comment

Just applied and got approved for my ESTA today, so that's one thing off the list. Next is to put money into my account to buy the tickets, then print them out. I plan to go out in February now, which is about a month earlier than I had originally thought. It also means I have just under 7 weeks to bring everything together!
              Once I book my tickets, I will order a lanyard just to give myself piece of mind. I have problems sometimes with my blood sugar, and it can make me very irritable and emotional, which will not help me out on the day. Must remember to pack snacks too.

Comment

I can now comment on this with full confidence. I went, I saw, and I flew.
                Heathrow is well signposted for where to go for connections. Make sure to check you go to the right terminal, which will likely involve a bus. They have different lines for different terminal transfers, and a member of staff was on hand as well. The buses were pretty frequent when I was there, and they are free. Phoenix airport was fine too, though it took me 2 hours to get through customs (queuing). I did get questioned over my ESTA, but it all worked out fine and I was stamped for 3 months and let in. I'd had the foresight to take a bunch of paperwork with me just in case, which saved my ass. The lady who questioned me even suggested a helpful addendum to be added to the letter I had with me for next time.
                I wasn't able to select my seats for the flights, and I was by the window for the return journey, but survived to tell the tale. I made the decision to kill time before the flight by wandering around the airport, to compensate for being sat down for 10 hours. I did that before both flights, and it seemed to work.

Comment

Working...
                X