Money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Money!

Following in my usual over-thinking/chronic anxiety mind, now that I have booked my flights, how much money will I be expected to have? I was thinking of having around $200 in cash, and I will have my Irish bank card (though I can't say exactly how much I will have on that).
    I'm going to Arizona for 9 days, and I will be staying with my SO who is currently unemployed. I don't work either, as I recently got granted Disability Allowance.
    I did try to look this up, and it seems to vary a lot. Some people travel with no cash, and are never asked about it. Others have cash, and are questioned regardless. Apparently how you look seems to be a factor as well? Ie, if you look like a $20 a day backpacker, you are more likely to be questioned about your finances.
    What are people's suggestions and experiences with this?

How much you bring is really up to you and how comfortable you are having certain amounts of cash on you. My SO usually brings anywhere from $40-200 with him, depending on how long he expects to stay and how much cash he expects to use (for example, treating us to a good dinner might be $50, but if we're cooking all week, I usually buy all the food, so he has no real need for cash other than incidentals while traveling). I don't think they've ever asked him about it when he's entered the states. If you were bringing thousands in cash, they might get suspicious, but you should have logical rationale for carrying as much as you have.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I'm with Kittyo9 on this one. When i visited i usually had about $200-300, and was never asked to show my money or how much i was bringing in ever. As for how far that got me, i was always able to pay for everything and still have money left over, i always ended up coming home with at least $50. we normally split costs 50/50 so i paid for half of food shopping and such, the only things I paid for myself was transport and if we went out to dinner and i was buying or something. It isn't something to be worried about honestly, but if you are worried do just have a chat with your SO about it
      my girls <3

Josie (SO)
      Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
      Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
      Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
      Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
      Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
      Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
      Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
      All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

He hasn't got any money as he's unemployed at the moment, which is one of the reasons I am going out to him. He drives though, so transport shouldn't be a problem. But I do want to give him money for food and gas whilst I am there anyway, but I'm not sure he will take it from me. If not, I may stash it somewhere in the house, then tell him about it when I come back home. That was a trick my mum and gran used to do with each other, cos they would never accept money from each other.

Comment

Working...
        X