Global Entry Program for USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Entry Program for USA

I've just discovered there is a Global Entry Program applicable for citizens of certain countries for entering the USA. It is available at the airport I fly to, but I am trying to decide if it is worth the money to do it.
    It will cost £42, then another $100, plus I'd have to attend an interview. It apparently gets you through customs quicker, as you don't have to queue for border control. They do a background check on you, and take your picture and fingerprints.
    I have already been out to Arizona, and they took my photo and fingerprints then anyway, but that looked like the standard for all non US citizens coming in. When I arrived, we then had a long drive back to my SO's place-minimum of 3 hours, and I didn't arrive until 18.35 anyway. It took me 2 hours to get through customs, and we didn't get home until past 1.
    Has anybody done this?
    If so, do you find it worthwhile?

Originally posted by Atlantic Crossroads View Post
    I've just discovered there is a Global Entry Program applicable for citizens of certain countries for entering the USA. It is available at the airport I fly to, but I am trying to decide if it is worth the money to do it.
    It will cost £42, then another $100, plus I'd have to attend an interview. It apparently gets you through customs quicker, as you don't have to queue for border control. They do a background check on you, and take your picture and fingerprints.
    I have already been out to Arizona, and they took my photo and fingerprints then anyway, but that looked like the standard for all non US citizens coming in. When I arrived, we then had a long drive back to my SO's place-minimum of 3 hours, and I didn't arrive until 18.35 anyway. It took me 2 hours to get through customs, and we didn't get home until past 1.
    Has anybody done this?
    If so, do you find it worthwhile?
    I've heard about this, but have decided against it for a couple of reasons.
    A) I always have a connecting flight in the US, so I really wouldn't save any time to get to my final destination. I just make sure to have enough layover time, so I don't miss my connecting flight in case there is a long line.
    B) I've only once had to wait 2 hours to get through customs back in 2009, ever since it's taken me under an hour to get through customs. Since they've put those pre-customs machines into place, it's usually taken me about 30 minutes.
    C) I usually don't travel more than twice a year to the US, so it seems like a big hassle to interview and renew it for little to no benefit.

Comment

I'll be heading back there again on Christmas Eve, so I am expecting it to be very busy.
      Having looked into it more, it seems like I would be expected to do the interview in the US, which seems somewhat ridiculous. If I could do it here in Ireland, I'd consider it. I am actually a British Citizen.
      I would hope within 5 years to have closed the distance anyway, so I shouldn't need to renew it. I plan to go over another 2 times, then after that I'm not sure. So maybe it wouldn't be worth it for me to do anyway. IDK.
      Having just typed that out, it doesn't make any sense for me to do it. Even if I had to interview in the UK, that still means taking time out to fly over there first just for that-which is pretty ridiculous too.

Comment

it is interesting program, but i do not takea a part in it

Comment

I know this a bit old but I have Global Entry (US citizen). I got it for my recent school trip to Britian. It made it easier for me to come back home. Lines weren't as long and it wasn't as nerver-wracking. I got Pre-Check with it too, which means I don't have to take off anything except my jacket and nothing has to come out of my bag. Super quick and less trouble.

I don't know how it works for citizens of other countries. but that is my experience on the other side of things.
          Why do we fall and not rise into love?
          Because you become vunerable in it.
          -jangandfox (on instagram)

Comment

Originally posted by TheOnyxStar View Post
            I know this a bit old but I have Global Entry (US citizen). I got it for my recent school trip to Britian. It made it easier for me to come back home. Lines weren't as long and it wasn't as nerver-wracking. I got Pre-Check with it too, which means I don't have to take off anything except my jacket and nothing has to come out of my bag. Super quick and less trouble.

I don't know how it works for citizens of other countries. but that is my experience on the other side of things.
            That is interesting, thanks. I wonder if it would be beneficial for my SO to do then? Hmm.

Comment

Working...
            X