Greyhound: Better then it looks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greyhound: Better then it looks

Since me and my SO are only about 500 kms apart, it didn't make sense to buy plane tickets and so we were unsure of how to see each other. I looked into other modes of transportation and remembered the dreaded buses that no one likes to ride. Yes, I had heard about the Greyhound murders, and read numerous review on how bad the stations were and how long the rides were, but I decided to try it out for myself since I didn't see another option.

The Greyhound buses were actually alot better then I imagined they would be. The seats are comfortable enough, though I would bring a pillow if you can. If you can manage to not have any luggage that needs to go under the bus it makes it alot easier and cheaper to travel, and the list of items you can't bring on your carry-on is relatively small. You're allowed to bring food and drinks onto the bus, and sometimes they even stop at convenience stores along the way, which is always nice.

It's usually fairly cheap to buy tickets, and most of the time the buses shouldn't be that crowded. For most of my rides I have had the whole 2 seats to myself, which makes it alot nicer then being on a cramped plane, and alot easier to fall asleep and wake up when you're at your destination. The stations, at least the ones I've been to, aren't in that great of condition but if you plan it right you should be able to spend minimum time in the stations and more time getting closer to your SO. Just make sure you have money for a cab, since most of the stations are in sketchy parts of town that you probably don't want to spend too much time in, especially late at night.

All I'm saying is that the Greyhound buses shouldn't be overlooked when trying to find a cheap way to visit your SO. While they may not be the nicest rides, they're a pretty cheap and reliable way to get to where you need to be.

I'll agree with this one, not my favourite mode of transportation but my SO is close enough that it's not too bad. Although it ends up being like twice as long of a trip because of all the stops the bus makes in between cities. But we get a student discount which is awesome

Comment

Thanks for making this topic. I didn't even open it and I looked into Greyhound and I can get to my boyfriend next month for $94 instead of $450!!!!! Hahahaahaha! Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Comment

My only problem with Greyhound is that I have to drive over an hour to get to the nearest station. And then 40 minutes from the nearest station to my parents.

It would be a 3 day trip to get to Penn.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Great idea! I will ask my SO about it tonight and see if a Greyhound next trip.

"Together forever but never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart!"

Met: 9.15.08
          Started Dating: 10.17.08
          Been an LDR since: 10.17.08
          First time meeting: 5.28.09 - 6.2.09

Comment

I'm traveling on the 'hound tomorrow morning to Corpus. Its costing less than $60.00 round trip. Gas alone would cost about $80 (2 fill up's/$40 per fill up).

Comment

It's over a day trip for me to get to Chicago, but with the low price, I might just go for it.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience. My S/O have been trying to get together and have planed 3 time (planned to go to Vegas and/or Georgia) this year, but something always happens. So, we planned to meet in Vegas in March. He called me yesterday and asked if I could get away in JANUARY. I said yes...he said well just give me a date. I was worried because I'm BROKE and I didn't know how I'd pay for a flight and hotel, but after checking flights I checked Amtrak (which isn't in my city) and then Greyound. Greyhound is $64.00 round trip vs round trip airfare which is $260. I've been on Greyhound before and have had okay experiences, but this is the first time I'm excited about it! LOL I'm crying because finally this just may happen!!!
                Love is patient and kind. It does not envy or boast; is not proud, rude or self-seeking. Love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

~*~Love never fails~*~ 1 Corinthians 13

Comment

I used Greyhound at the end of Oct. when i moved to Ct. from Montana. The worst part of the trip was spending 2 and a half days between buses and bus stations. I had looked at prices for amtrak, and flying, but in the end decided to go with the cheaper rout even though it took a lot longer to get here. I would agree with bringing a pillow, but if you are not able to bring a pillow and decide later that you would like one some of the stations do sell travel pillows since i knew i would be staying here longer then my mother i didnt bring a pillow in order to pack more things into my suitcases, but did pick a small travel pillow up about half way through the trip at the station for $3.99. The only recomendation i would give is to make sure to let them know at the counter that you have a bag to check and make sure you get the tag and put it on your checked bag right away, also put a ribbon or something distinctive so that if you are at a station and you notice bags put off to the side if you see that ribbon go check the bag and make sure it gets under the bus if it is yours so it doesnt get left behind. My mom was told this by a rep. for greyhound after her bag was lost during her return trip. The bag was returned to her about 2 weeks later but didnt have any of her tags or anything on it by the time she got it, all because she did have a checked bag tag on it for her return trip since she was never given one.

Comment

My SO used the Greyhound buses back in 2009 when he came to CA for a month. He stayed with his uncle and used the buses to come visit me for a week at a time. They weren't too expensive and he had no complaints about the actual ride.

Comment

Well my boyfriend arrived and just left via Greyhound, it's a 30 hour ride for him and he's okay with it, but I would NOT be. :\ Anything over 5 hours would drive me insane. XD
                      But, prices for everything are rising and even though he just left I wanna plan another visit maybe to see him, I'll probably consider it again.
                      From what he's told me, and experience, always count on the busses running behind schedule, and waiting longer at your transfer stops than otherwise scheduled.

Comment

My SO bought the ticket to visit me in May, and he's traveling from Utah to New York. It's 2days, 8 hours and 15 minutes! To me, it sounds crazy! But still, it costs $105 one way instead of 160$ or more for the plane (with luggage).

Comment

im thinking of going to mexico by bus..thats 3 days!!! my mom is a bit uneasy since of the problems on the border, and it would be three days on a bus by myself! But its a lot cheaper than a $700 plane ticket...money that i dont have! My uncle has traveled like this before and he's made it, im thinking of just one way or something of that kind, so on my return i can come back by plane or something. Still not sure if bus is my best option... :/

Comment

I've taken the Greyhound around 100 times (on trips from 300km to over 1000km) and I've never had any huge problems. Occasionally the bus runs a little late, but it's never anything too dreaded!

Comment

This. Changes. Everything. Instead of $600+ and having to wait until next year, I can visit my SO this summer for less than $200. I have a question, though. One of the transfer stops are closer to my SO than the actual destination of the trip. Could he pick me up there instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X