Border Guards :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Guards :(

SO, Im still new but what of it! I need help anyway.
    Okay, so Kyle (my beloved 6 feet of burly Canadian man muscle) came to visit me last August. He was really really nervous about going through customs, probably more so then he led on.. but oh well. Anyway he decided that in order to avoid being rejected, he would tell the guard that I was his cousin instead of his girlfriend. Big mistake I reckon. Mostly because we plan to apply for a K-1 visa next year and go through a bunch of interviews and we're officially afraid that this tiny fib will haunt us a bit.

He wants to go to the border and rectify his fib, but..it seems so risky :/ he might get banned. I haven't dealt with border guards or anything yet, I wont until December, and i fully intend to tell the truth about my relationship with him. I maaaaaaaaay end up answering for being his cousin...maybe even get a few dirty looks for allegedly dating my cousin. Ugh. How incestuous.

Anybody with experience with border guards, could you possibly give me some words of wisdom? Just in your own opinion. thanks

Ummm did they like put it in his permanent record that you were his cousin? Highly unlikely. I have been through the Canadian border several times and I never noticed them writing down what I said.
    I think your worrying yourself too much!

ps. I once went to Canada with my roommates car (he was out of town) and I realized as we were waiting in line at the border that he usually carries pot in his car. Checked the middle console and there it was..giant bag of pot. But it was too late to hide it or turn around so I just had to hope for the best.
    If I can make it through with that, you'll be fine

Comment

Like Mlle Bamako, every time I crossed the border into Canada, I never noticed them bothering to really be fussed about what I was doing, as long as I had a set date of when I was going back to the US. They definitely never wrote anything down, just scrutinized my passport, looked at me, and were like "Welcome to Canada".

Honestly, they probably don't remember or care.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

to be on the safe side tell him to be honest and say that he's visiting his girlfriend for a few weeks, they are not gonna care as long as he has a return ticket home then he's safe, if they find out he's lying it could cause some trouble so just be honest

Comment

Ah, I probably am overreacting. But these processes are pretty delicate..like when we get to K-1 and adjustment status interveiws. I just dont want to be sprung with any lies or mistakes. We dont get second chances when applying for that stuff :/
          He said that his border guard was cool, but he did write down my adress, phone number, etc. AND noted that i was indeed his cousin. So its in whatever complex border patrol system or whatever they have to track us all like dogs. *sigh*

Comment

You're over-reacting out of worry. It's understandable, but you're fine. The border patrols don't mark stuff down like that, and so they can't check the story you give at the border versus your visa.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanieeee View Post
              Ah, I probably am overreacting. But these processes are pretty delicate..like when we get to K-1 and adjustment status interveiws. I just dont want to be sprung with any lies or mistakes. We dont get second chances when applying for that stuff :/
              He said that his border guard was cool, but he did write down my adress, phone number, etc. AND noted that i was indeed his cousin. So its in whatever complex border patrol system or whatever they have to track us all like dogs. *sigh*
              Now, I will admit I have heard that the border patrol for the Canada crossing can really get on a high horse. I know the US is one of the worst customs to go through because of how they are, but for whatever reason it almost always seems like the Canadian one is the worst.

Garnet here on the site recently had her k-1 approved and whatnot. If I might make a suggestion, I think there's a thread on canadian/american k-1's, or you could start a thread to get the full story from others exactly in your situation.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Also, just to add...there is SOOO much other info that goes into a k1/AOS that this tiny detail is nothing. You'll have much bigger fish to fry. So don't stress about this tiny detail. Just tell them the truth at the border. No worries

Comment

I think you're worrying too much. The first time I came to Canada I told them I was visiting friends because something about "I'm meeting my online boyfriend for the first time" seemed daft to admit. I've been through boarder security (at the airport though, not the land boarder) twice since, and I've never seen them write anything down.
                  From everything I've seen Canada doesn't really care. They are pretty damn laid back about who comes into the country, as long as you're planning to leave or have the right paperwork.
                  I don't think one tiny fib will hurt you. Besides, how are they to know he doesn't have you AND a cousin down there?
                  I think going to the boarder to clear it up will just draw unnecessary attention to yourselves.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yeah, its a bit much to make a fair asseesment of Canadian border patrol. I've heard both really good things and really bad things. But it really is such a small slip up, I agree. I feel a bit better now, thanks and stuff

Comment

They are scary, it's ok.
                      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Canadian Boarder Patrol isn't that bad, i've had my fair share of bad experiences with the boarder patrol at both the airport and on land. What your SO said about visiting a cousin, they don't care and I can guarantee you they didn't write it down. I come to canada a lot and I tell them i'm visiting my boyfriend (it's easier then saying just a friend even though he's my friend) and they never write it down or even ask what his name is, they just ask for the address i'm staying at.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Riyko View Post
                          Canadian Boarder Patrol isn't that bad, i've had my fair share of bad experiences with the boarder patrol at both the airport and on land. What your SO said about visiting a cousin, they don't care and I can guarantee you they didn't write it down. I come to canada a lot and I tell them i'm visiting my boyfriend (it's easier then saying just a friend even though he's my friend) and they never write it down or even ask what his name is, they just ask for the address i'm staying at.
                          hahaha, I feel like such a dummy for being parranoid.

Comment

Working...
                          X