need a hotel room... no credit card!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a hotel room... no credit card!!

I'm heading out to BC in june with my kids. We'll be staying there a week and need a hotel room.. but i don't have a visa! I don't make enough monthly to even apply, not to mention i have NO credit. this makes things a little complicated!!

has anyone else rented a hotel room without a credit card? I've never traveled on my own before so this is a bit new to me. there has always been someone else to book everything and unfortunetly im HORRIBLE at orginization. I'm booking my flight through a travel agent this upcoming week (easier to buy the ticket now so i can prepare my kids)

I'm honestly lost. no clue what im doing... HELP!
    If nothing ever changed, There would be no butterflys <3

You don't have to have a credit card. Use your debit card for your checking account.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

If you're using a travel agent for air, ask his/her advice about booking a hotel. They are travel experts and may be able to tell you what to do, if you do it yourself, you may find yourself in a no-so-desirable place, since most do require a card. Silviar is right though, you can use your debit card, I do it often since I don't like using my credit cards.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

You can also use prepaid cards so find out how much it is and then put money on the card to cover that amount :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TknandLvnIt View Post
          You can also use prepaid cards so find out how much it is and then put money on the card to cover that amount :-)
          THIS..try Green Dot or NetSpend prepaid debit cards.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

I gave up all credit cards, including my bank debit card but I gave in and got a Greendot card for when I absolutely need a credit card. They do charge a monthly fee so it's best to keep a small balance on it, but it's great because you can control what you spend much easier.

Comment

I don't have credit cards and all the larger banks with credit card/debit cards charge an arm and a leg.. so I have my small town local bank debit card. I opened the checking account for free. I use it as a savings account for my travels, and then I use the debit card to book/buy my hotel rooms. I always google hotel promo codes and look at a few sights. if I don't find something I like I use priceline. I pay in full with the debit card. good luck

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
              And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

I am late to reply..but everyone already said what I was about to say...debit card...no credit cards for me either!
                NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Prepay credit card for definite. I just saw them in King Soopers, KMart etc. They cost like $5 and then (as far aas I'm aware) you just top it up when you need it.

Alternatively a lot of hotels will still take the reservation over the phone, and you can pay cash on arrival. Especailly seeing as hotels dont actually charge your card until you check out anyway. You may have to pay an extra deposit with cash to cover any incidentals (breakages etc) that would be refunded to you. Dont quote me on that as I've never paid cash, just a thought.
                  Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I worked the front desk in a hotel not to long ago and what we did is we would take the reservation over the phone if the person didnt have a credit card to hold the room on then we would inform them that we are able to hold the room until 4 pm on the day of check in and if at that time they have not arived or called with a card or anything then we let the rooms go. We also had cash paying guests pay a $50 deposit on the room that was returned to them upon checkout if there was no damage to the room. All motels/hotels are different though so if you do inted to make the reservation by phone i would recomend asking them about their cash policys.

Comment

Well... for me.. the "go show" would be the other option that maybe you should do. If its not a peak season/holiday season, i think its do able thing since not all hotel rooms are fully booked.

And yeah its bit crazy because its only depends on your luck, and you will had less options or choice for the rooms.

Better if its closer to the departure date or best on your departure date you check online for hotel rooms, and write down hotel names with most room that vacant and you could go to the hotel straight from airport. I think they do update everything instantly from internet so... i think its a good idea if you didn't have a credit card (of course beside the option calling the hotel to book the room!)

I did this before, but yeah its in SE Asia maybe bit different. But worth to try...

Comment

If you're booking through a travel agent, often you can pay the travel agent to book it for you (of course, you'll have to pay him/her the booking fee) with cash or certified cheque. If not, defintiely look into getting a prepaid credit card as I believe most hotels only accept bookings in advance if they have a credit card. Visa has them as well, here's the website: https://www.visa.ca/en/personal/prep...reloadable.jsp

"You know it's love when you want to keep holding hands even after you're sweaty."
                        -- Anonymous

Comment

You can't do the debit card thing here in BC. They want your credit card. You can pay with debit, but that's not what they are worried about. The credit card information is important to them because if someone trashes a room, smokes in a room they aren't supposed to or brings in a pet for a non-pet room the hotel "fines" the credit card. Or the one I work with does >.>
                          You could get around this by asking to talk to the manager, and telling them you want to pay with cash and that you'll wait for them to check your room for damages before you exit the hotel, Europe-style. They really want your money, so most will try to work with you. Good luck!
                          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I do agree with what zephii said, my ex has been to BC and they couldn't even get a room without a credit card so they just stayed at a hostel (which may not be ideal for your situation), but you always have the option of going to a credit union and opening up an account at the credit union because they give you a visa check card (it's a debit card with a visa logo on it so they can run it as a credit card if they need to as well as you usually have a small credit limit on the card) and they take the money out of your checking account even when you use it as a credit card.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

thanks guys! Yeah I wasn't sure what BC was like... I remember having to get my mom to rent me a hotel room back when she had a visa because i couldn't pay cash or use my debit... hopefully the travel agent can help me get in contact with a hotel who'll work with me.

a hostal definetly wouldn't work no lol! definetly need a room for my kids to run wild in!
                              If nothing ever changed, There would be no butterflys <3

Comment

Working...
                              X